A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

I think this year the market moves differently.  Since Boras controls most pitching, I think he will do Cole first to maximize the losers interest in Strasburg.  Those still left out after the big two may then drive up Bumgarner, Keuchel, Ryu tier.

18 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

I think this year the market moves differently.  Since Boras controls most pitching, I think he will do Cole first to maximize the losers interest in Strasburg.  Those still left out after the big two may then drive up Bumgarner, Keuchel, Ryu tier.

That didn’t quite go as planned...but we shall see with those next three.

Yeah don't think many saw Stras getting the largest pitching contract ever or for a short time.  Boras will still orchestrate things to his advantage.  Think that is why rumors of dodgers and Angels now thinking about Rendon as if they are setting up a large add even if they miss on Cole.

7 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Yeah don't think many saw Stras getting the largest pitching contract ever or for a short time.  Boras will still orchestrate things to his advantage.  Think that is why rumors of dodgers and Angels now thinking about Rendon as if they are setting up a large add even if they miss on Cole.

Negotiations for Cole/Rendon reportedly are deep. Deals could potentially come together quickly at this point. 

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Now Nimmo is a guy I wouldn’t shirk away from trading Steele Walker ++ for.

Obviously not, but he’s gonna cost a lot more than Walker. Maybe that three way with the Pirates where the Sox give up Stiever + Collins + Walker. I’d do that for Nimmo, who has been my guy for months but lost faith Mets would move him. Pirates do want that catcher. Then DH opens for a cheap 1 year masher like EE and all of sudden you got a good looking offense. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Obviously not, but he’s gonna cost a lot more than Walker. Maybe that three way with the Pirates where the Sox give up Stiever + Collins + Walker. I’d do that for Nimmo, who has been my guy for months but lost faith Mets would move him. Pirates do want that catcher. Then DH opens for a cheap 1 year masher like EE and all of sudden you got a good looking offense. 

Anyone else find it bizarre how tied the pirates are to getting a catcher?

4 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Saw they want to dump salary with a guy like Jed Lowrie.  If we help the Mets with Lowrie contract and Steele + a little something, maybe we pull this off?

Lowrie is just a one year deal for 9 mill, so definitely at that level you can entertain. And not worst idea as a backup infielder though he may barely play.

Ugh man it would be great for them to get Nimmo. They could really focus it all on pitching next few years, and he is such a great complement to where they suck offensively with his high OBP.

Make it happen. The ole Pitt/NY/CWS christmas three-way action coming back.

Just now, bmags said:

Ugh man it would be great for them to get Nimmo. They could really focus it all on pitching next few years, and he is such a great complement to where they suck offensively with his high OBP.

Make it happen. The ole Pitt/NY/CWS christmas three-way action coming back.

And I believe Nimmo has 3 years of control via arbitration as opposed to Mazara’s 2 years.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, BamaDoc said:

Plan B Nimmo? Popular pick on board but will cost prospects.  Saw a rumor Mets looking for CF.  Mets have budget issues.  Would/could you take Jed Lowrie at 10 million for one year to lessen your prospect cost?  LOL Yolmer and Engel and lesser prospect for Nimmo and Lowrie.

Page one of this thread in the initial post from Sept!  Nimmo was my plan B to Brett Gardner.  Obviously can't do Yolmer now and they added a mediocre cf so may not want Engel but the idea holds.  If Lowrie can still play, he could hold second until Madrigal comes up and if Lowrie can't play cut him.  I so prefer this to Mazzara a bad defender who hasn't had a above average park adjusted offensive year.  There is still a FA outfielder who hits left handed with bWAR the last 4 years of 3.4,4.9,2.8, and last year 4.0 available.  Brett Gardner could be had for only money.  Again it is location, he wants to retire a Yankee but hell for a couple extra million and no prospects lost go get him.