Jump to content
BamaDoc

A Realistic Offseason

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

So are you saying that the Sox front office didn't have the incentive to create the false impression that they're pursuing a big-money, marquee free agent, when they're struggling with attendance and were in the process of negotiating a new TV contract?

Lol...the TV deal was not impacted by the potential of a Machado deal and the few tickets that were sold as a result were completely offset by the sheer anger & resentment created amongst the fanbase due to the miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony said:

It’s actually working better than the argument you are trying to spin. It just doesn’t make any sense

You know what else doesn't make any sense? Reinsdorf and Einhorn switching the Sox to pay TV while their in-town competitor broadcasted their games on a nationally aired cable TV station. Or JR leading a hard-line contingent of owners and triggering a strike while the Sox were in first place. Or trading away some of your best players in late July when you're 3 1/2 games out of first place. The Sox have a long history of making moves that seem incredibly dumb in hindsight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Does it make sense that a notoriously cheap owner would want to be on the hook for $250M at age 83, when he's probably close to selling the team?

Why does that matter at all?  Pretty sure the Tribune Company spent a fuckton of money including a massive contract for Alfonso Soriano right before they sold the Cubs.

It really seems at this point like you are reaching for anything you possibly can to support this idea that our Machado offer was just a con.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I never claimed that it was an intelligent strategy and, yes, it clearly backfired. (The silly signing of Alonso and Jay was a big part of it backfiring.) But I honestly believe that the Sox never intended to pay Machado $250M.

First, not that it matters, but the Sox didn’t sign Alonso.  Second, I don’t think you honestly believe that, I think it’s simply what you want to believe to support your “Reinsdorf is cheap” view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

You can make all the disparaging comments you want, but it doesn't strengthen your argument.

There isn’t an actual argument here.  You are simply wrong and refuse to acknowledge how insane your conspiracy theory is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

First, not that it matters, but the Sox didn’t sign Alonso.  Second, I don’t think you honestly believe that, I think it’s simply what you want to believe to support your “Reinsdorf is cheap” view.

Sorry, "traded for."

I'd love to believe that JR was actually willing to sign a 10-year, $250M commitment to a player. But nothing about his way of doing business suggests that he'd do such a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I agree with this. The Sox are better off paying less to a guy like Wheeler, signing an average-to-below-average starter to anchor the bottom of the rotation, re-signing Abreu, going after a decent LH bat at the RH or DH spot, and seeing how Kopech, Cease, Robert, and Madrigal develop in 2020. Even with these additions, they're probably not a playoff team. They can always add more via free agency in 2021.

The changes you outline are enough to compete in 2020 IMO.  People tend to forget that 4 positions in our lineup were virtual black holes.  Robert, Madrigal, RF and DH makes this a fun lineup.  We will have much better pitching for most of the year with no additions...just the returns of Kopech, Rodon and Dunning .  A couple of serviceable starters makes this a very respectable team.  Cole is obviously much better than the 2nd tier pitchers we discuss here.  JDM is better than a serviceable DH.  I see the floor as a competitive fun team to watch with the ceiling being a trip to the WS if things break right.  Fun offseason gonna start soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crazy thing is Hahn and Kenny must have a plan and they are just waiting for the WS to end to strike. I mean they know what's our there. They know the money they have to spend and they ought to get a few things done as soon as they can. JD and Cole seem silly to wait on and unattainable to me. JD is staying in Boston and Cole in Houston. Why would Houston let him go? 

I bet you the Sox temper expectations all winter and at Soxfest. They aren't used to fans thinking they have a shot at making the playoffs and until they become a .500 team they probably would be best to shut up about playoffs. Or a lot of people will be fired if the Sox suck again. Yes there are ways to see the team being good next year; the team also could suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, poppysox said:

The changes you outline are enough to compete in 2020 IMO.  People tend to forget that 4 positions in our lineup were virtual black holes.  Robert, Madrigal, RF and DH makes this a fun lineup.  We will have much better pitching for most of the year with no additions...just the returns of Kopech, Rodon and Dunning .  A couple of serviceable starters makes this a very respectable team.  Cole is obviously much better than the 2nd tier pitchers we discuss here.  JDM is better than a serviceable DH.  I see the floor as a competitive fun team to watch with the ceiling being a trip to the WS if things break right.  Fun offseason gonna start soon.

I think that the Sox are going to have a tough time competing in this division with the Twins and Indians, even with the changes that I outlined. That said. I agree that they’ll be interesting and fun to watch in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last offseason, everyone announced the death of the Indians...and it didn't happen.

Bauer didn't even have close to his typical season, they had a number of injuries and non-performance from Jose Ramirez for half the season, and yet still, they ended up with 93 victories.

They're not just going to disappear.   Reyes is going to put up huge numbers in the AL, despite his being a black hole defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade: Zack Collins, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning, and Steele Walker for Starling Marte and Kyle Crick

 

Sign: JDM, Wheeler, Gio Gonzalez , Jason Castro, and Chris Martin 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade: Zack Collins, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning, and Steele Walker for Starling Marte and Kyle Crick

 

Good lord....

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade: Zack Collins, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning, and Steele Walker for Starling Marte and Kyle Crick

 

Sign: JDM, Wheeler, Gio Gonzalez , Jason Castro, and Chris Martin 

 

 

Wow would that be a huge overpay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last offseason, everyone announced the death of the Indians...and it didn't happen.

Bauer didn't even have close to his typical season, they had a number of injuries and non-performance from Jose Ramirez for half the season, and yet still, they ended up with 93 victories.

They're not just going to disappear.   Reyes is going to put up huge numbers in the AL, despite his being a black hole defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Last offseason, everyone announced the death of the Indians...and it didn't happen.

Bauer didn't even have close to his typical season, they had a number of injuries and non-performance from Jose Ramirez for half the season, and yet still, they ended up with 93 victories.

They're not just going to disappear.   Reyes is going to put up huge numbers in the AL, despite his being a black hole defensively.

No one announced the death of the Indians. Some people thought they should have pushed all in so that they wouldn't get bounced in the post-season, but nearly everyone assumed they'd walk into the playoffs easily via the AL Central crown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

No one announced the death of the Indians. Some people thought they should have pushed all in so that they wouldn't get bounced in the post-season, but nearly everyone assumed they'd walk into the playoffs easily via the AL Central crown.

Yeah, no idea what he’s talking about there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade: Zack Collins, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning, and Steele Walker for Starling Marte and Kyle Crick

 

Sign: JDM, Wheeler, Gio Gonzalez , Jason Castro, and Chris Martin 

 

 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Last offseason, everyone announced the death of the Indians...and it didn't happen.

Bauer didn't even have close to his typical season, they had a number of injuries and non-performance from Jose Ramirez for half the season, and yet still, they ended up with 93 victories.

They're not just going to disappear.   Reyes is going to put up huge numbers in the AL, despite his being a black hole defensively.

Literally nobody did that.  They were basically a lock for the AL Central.  The Twins were fringey pre-season.

Edit:  The only knock on the Indians coming in was they didn't do enough to fix their OF situation.  But pretty much every analyst that wasn't being edgy had them walking away with the Central.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone be interested in Jackie Bradley Jr if the Red Sox non-tender him ? 

Really low batting average but gets on base a little and has plus glove. Also left handed bat. 2 War in a down year last year. (Other places have his war as being lower). 

Not fully on board with this idea myself in spite of being the one suggesting it, but how nice would a defence with both JBJ and Robert. They could shade a little to left and help Eloy out also perhaps. 

Edited by Colinski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colinski said:

Anyone be interested in Jackie Bradley Jr if the Red Sox non-tender him ? 

Really low batting average but gets on base a little and has plus glove. Also left handed bat. 2 War in a down year last year. (Other places have his war as being lower). 

Not fully on board with this idea myself in spite of being the one suggesting it, but how nice would a defence with both JBJ and Robert. They could shade a little to left and help Eloy out also perhaps. 

I’d say pass.  Not a good fit for what we need and I think there’s diminishing returns having two CF types when you play 81 games at the Rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Literally nobody did that.  They were basically a lock for the AL Central.  The Twins were fringey pre-season.

Edit:  The only knock on the Indians coming in was they didn't do enough to fix their OF situation.  But pretty much every analyst that wasn't being edgy had them walking away with the Central.

I’m sure he’ll find a yahoo article!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Good lord....

I get why people will overrate Lopez and Collins, but I say trade them while they have value...because I don’t think they’ll have much in 2 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get why people will overrate Lopez and Collins, but I say trade them while they have value...because I don’t think they’ll have much in 2 years 

Well yeah but then trading dunning and Walker.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×