A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

19 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Lopez is dirt-cheap and is under team control for the next three or so years. He's inconsistent as hell, but he's also young and has shown flashes of dominance. That's exactly the type of pitcher the Sox need to anchor the back of the rotation while they spend on a couple of established veterans to fill out the rotation.

I don't know what to expect out of Collins going forward, but I doubt that McCann is going to put up a .789 OPS next season.

Do you think Collins is going to be able to catch significant innings? If so then obviously keep him, but I just don’t think that’s happening at this point. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re literally contradicting yourself in consecutive sentences.  They don’t buy closers at peak value but they did with Robertson which should have taught them that they don’t buy closers at peak value.  My god it’s like reading a circular reference.

And what’s this draft strategy you’re referring to?  We took Burdi in the first round back in 2016.  How many relievers have we drafted in the top five rounds since then that have been exclusively used as relievers?  We used a fifth round pick on Tyler Johnson and that’s it man.  Sometimes I don’t know where you come up with this stuff.

The White Sox have drafted more collegiate relievers and starters with the idea they could contribute in the bullpen that practically any team in baseball the last 4 seasons, particularly before this draft.

I read over and over again how we were going to corner the market or make this our niche, emulating the Royals’ 2014-16 pens.

That has absolutely zero to do with whether they were picked in Rounds 1-5, because most projected to be relievers typically are not unless you want to be fired as a scouting director.

We can go through every Sox closer back to Roberto Hernandez.

Other than Koch (disaster) and paying Robertson like he was a Top 5, elite closer when he was pretty clearly in the second tier or group 6-10...we NEVER EvER pay for elite closers.  (You can even argue we didn’t buy Koch, we made a bad trade for him.)

Colome is not one.  Herrera was close in 2014-2016, but obviously has lost it...partially physically, mostly mentally.

Smith is not one, he’s just the best currently available on the market.

They are NOT going to gave three relievers on the roster making $10 million or more.

I’ll believe they can sign Cole before I believe that one.  After all, they signed Albert Belle once upon a time!!! Maybe the fact of the matter is that the White Sox themselves are stuck in circular logic in terms of their fear of signing anyone to a $100+ million, long term contract.

They’re actually more likely to be wary now, after the Nats finally succeeded without Harper and Padres went nowhere fast...

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, wsox05 said:

If they could deal McCann this offseason, they should and try to sign Grandal. 

Nimmo’s LH bat makes sense for RF. He gets on base and has some decent pop. 

Sure, but you have to sign Grandal first.

Sure, if he can actually stay healthy...he’s had as many really great/good seasons as Avi Garcia.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but you have to sign Grandal first.

Sure, if he can actually stay healthy...he’s had as many really great/good seasons as Avi Garcia.

Yes and Nimmo shouldn’t cost that much to acquire. I think he’s worth the risk. A lefty RF with pop that gets on base at a high clip is exactly what the Sox need. 

He’s the type of guy you take a chance on at 27 that could become a regular with a healthy season. He has 3 years of control and will probably make in the $2M range this season being his first year of arbitration. 

I just think that’s a smarter move that would allow you to spend money elsewhere (SP, DH, RP). 

1 hour ago, wsox05 said:

Yes and Nimmo shouldn’t cost that much to acquire. I think he’s worth the risk. A lefty RF with pop that gets on base at a high clip is exactly what the Sox need. 

He’s the type of guy you take a chance on at 27 that could become a regular with a healthy season. He has 3 years of control and will probably make in the $2M range this season being his first year of arbitration. 

I just think that’s a smarter move that would allow you to spend money elsewhere (SP, DH, RP). 

Good thoughts.

50 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Why would the Mets trade Nimmo?

Highly left-handed, have lots of corner OF alternatives, and may not want to play Nimmo in CF long-term.  If they are committed to Conforto in RF and want to keep rotating McNeil, Smith, & Davis through LF to maximize their usage, they may be better off trading Nimmo and acquiring a natural CF.  And it’s very possible his neck issues create another incentive for moving him.

• Like 2

1st and foremost Sox have to make better use of the guys who are non tendered. Last year they could 've picked some decent talent and but didn't pursue anyone as far as we know.

The Red Sox have projected arbitration salaries of $70M for 12 players. Yes , that's right $70M . It's even possible Jackie Bradley jr. gets non tendered if the Red Sox plan on making a run at quality starting pitching free agents.

Another guy I'd keep an eye on is Blake Treinen. A's probably non tender him after a bad season and back problems. He was lights out in 2018 but is your typical up and down season to season reliever but that outstanding 2018 season makes him intriguing Jurickson Profar might also be non tendered.

The Reds may non tender Kevin Gausman and look to resign him fast before anyone jumps on him like they did with Aristides Aquino last years.

Anyway I'm sure a thread will open up right after Dec. 2nd to discuss this stuff.

A's need to rebuild their BP ,might not be a bad idea to see what they think of Colome's worth. A's have some prospects in the OF I wouldn't mind taking a shot at like Greg Deichmann (24)  and 20 year old Cuban OF Lazaro Armenteros  who is pretty raw but a smaller version of Luis Robert that the A's paid $3M for in IFA. Deichmann is LH and leading the AFL in HR's so far halfway through the Fall league schedule. They also have Luis Berrera who took a big step forward this year but doesn't have much power. He is good enough however to play CF . He is 23 and LH and had a very nice year in AA. I would think AJ Puk and Jesus Luzardo are off limits. Sox could always throw in one of their OF prospects to enhance any deal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Highly left-handed, have lots of corner OF alternatives, and may not want to play Nimmo in CF long-term.  If they are committed to Conforto in RF and want to keep rotating McNeil, Smith, & Davis through LF to maximize their usage, they may be better off trading Nimmo and acquiring a natural CF.  And it’s very possible his neck issues create another incentive for moving him.

This. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

and the Mets have Cespedes coming back... hmmmmmmmmm he'd be a super interesting buy-low candidate for RF, assuming they'd take on some of his contract

He'll be 34 in 2020 and making $29.5M. He also might miss part of 2020 due to his non baseball related injury on his ranch where he fractured an ankle. Since 2016 he's had 478 plate appearances. The Mets have been exploring trying to get out of that contract but aren't likely to succeed.

He may never play again. Nothing about him is buy low. He's a hobbling disaster.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He'll be 34 in 2020 and making $29.5M. He also might miss part of 2020 due to his non baseball related injury on his ranch where he fractured an ankle. Since 2016 he's had 478 plate appearances. The Mets have been exploring trying to get out of that contract but aren't likely to succeed.

He may never play again. Nothing about him is buy low. He's a hobbling disaster.

He's the kind of guy we might have considered taking on in 2018/2019 if someone sent along an actually valuable prospect to go with him. (that 1b who was not even in their top 5 in 2018, Peter Alonso, would have worked well). 

31 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Hasn't JDM made it pretty obvious he is going to opt out?  And haven't the Red Sox made it clearly they'd like him to opt out

They Red Sox for sure would like him to. I haven't seen anything from JDs side