A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

29 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Dad's are already going to be close to 100 million after arb and they have holes to fill as well.  I just don't see it.  They have a couple non tender candidates I guess but that would only shave off a couple million.

The Cubs & Red Sox were the only teams with four $20M+ players last year, I seriously doubt the Padres will be the third team in that prestigious club.

File this one under here-say but a reliable source connected to Yankees told me they plan to move on from Gregorius and, unsurprisingly, plan to aggressively shop Stanton. He mentioned Yankees are prepared to eat 'at least' $60M of Stantons remaining contract and said Dodgers might bite.  Moreover, he feels Yankees will definitely be players for Cole. At the right price, would love to see Stanton in RF/DH for Sox.

File this one under hear-say but a reliable source connected to Yankees told me they plan to move on from Gregorius and, unsurprisingly, plan to aggressively shop Stanton. He mentioned Yankees are prepared to eat 'at least' $60M of Stantons remaining contract and said Dodgers might bite.  Moreover, he feels Yankees will definitely be players for Cole. At the right price, would love to see Stanton in RF/DH for Sox.

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

File this one under here-say but a reliable source connected to Yankees told me they plan to move on from Gregorius and, unsurprisingly, plan to aggressively shop Stanton. He mentioned Yankees are prepared to eat 'at least' $60M of Stantons remaining contract and said Dodgers might bite.  Moreover, he feels Yankees will definitely be players for Cole. At the right price, would love to see Stanton in RF/DH for Sox.

I cant tell if your post is a joke or serious.

So they'll cover 60 million... who's going to pay the rest? Would stanton even get 200 million as a free agent right now?

Also the guy cant play without getting hurt and he's probably a year or two away from full time DH. Not sure what NL team would take him on thru 38 years old.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

On 10/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know but the premise is the same trading for a 1 year player and giving up assets for him when you can get Brett Gardner . I know I used Dickerson before but I know he hasn't played right field at all .

The other point of getting Gardner that I tried to point out is it gives you two options.  First it gives time for your non Robert outfield prospects to develop potentially giving you a cheap homegrown replacement.  Secondly, Gardner does not keep you from signing someone like Pederson the following year.  In that scenario all you have done is spent money and not lost any prospects.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

The other point of getting Gardner that I tried to point out is it gives you two options.  First it gives time for your non Robert outfield prospects to develop potentially giving you a cheap homegrown replacement.  Secondly, Gardner does not keep you from signing someone like Pederson the following year.  In that scenario all you have done is spent money and not lost any prospects.

The idea of Gardner continues to grow on me.

9 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Pederson, Betts, Springer 2020 free agents. There are reasons to "shore up" the offense this year while taking advantage of its good pitching class.

A realistic offseason?  Realistically I do not think the Sox will be in on signing Cole or Strasburg.  Whether they play the games to string fans along like last year, who knows?

Realistically I think they target a pitcher that they like, let's say it is Wheeler.  The Sox could offer him a good deal quickly and lock him up early in the free agent season.  This is what they did with Zach Duke back in 2014.  While everyone was looking at Andrew Miller, the Sox targeted the perceived second best left handed reliever on the market in Duke and signed him by mid November.

Wheeler + Grandal + Abreu + Gardner/Dickerson + Hill/Wood would be pretty fantastic offseason - albeit perhaps slightly disappointing nobody super premium - but I think it should be pretty realistic and takes nothing away from the farm.  Add a solid veteran reliever as well and go to battle.  Payroll would be around $125M for 2020, and leaves RF open for the OF prospects to develop for 2021, or for a FA splash in 2021 that better fits what the Sox need.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Wheeler + Grandal + Abreu + Gardner/Dickerson + Hill/Wood would be pretty fantastic offseason - albeit perhaps slightly disapointing nobody super premium - but I think it should be pretty realistic and takes nothing away from the farm.  Add a solid veteran reliever as well and go to battle.  Payroll would be around $125M for 2020, and leaves RF open for the OF prospects to develop for 2021, or for a FA splash in 2021 that better fits what the Sox need.  

It really isn't a disappointing offseason by any means. Like I said in the other thread, Nats will likely retain one of Rendon/Stras, if not both. That leaves Cole and JDM as the biggest names to change teams. Wheeler and Grandal are in the top 5-8 range FA rankings go. I would actually argue that's a strong off season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It really isn't a disappointing offseason by any means. Like I said in the other thread, Nats will likely retain one of Rendon/Stras, if not both. That leaves Cole and JDM as the biggest names to change teams. Wheeler and Grandal are in the top 5-8 range FA rankings go. I would actually argue that's a strong off season.

I mean...I said it it would be a fantastic offseason in post.  Some would definitely be disappointed we didn't get Cole/Stras/Rendon/JDM, but I too think it would put a pretty good team on the field in 2020.  

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Wheeler + Grandal + Abreu + Gardner/Dickerson + Hill/Wood would be pretty fantastic offseason - albeit perhaps slightly disappointing nobody super premium - but I think it should be pretty realistic and takes nothing away from the farm.  Add a solid veteran reliever as well and go to battle.  Payroll would be around $125M for 2020, and leaves RF open for the OF prospects to develop for 2021, or for a FA splash in 2021 that better fits what the Sox need.  

OD Lineup:

Garcia CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Anderson SS, Gardner/Dickerson RF, McCann C, Yolmer/Mendick 2B

BN: Yolmer/Mendick, Collins, Engel

Rotation: Gioltio, Wheeler, Cease, Lopez and Hill/Wood

Lineup by mid April:

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Anderson SS, Gardner/Dickerson RF, Madrigal 2B, McCann C

BN: Leury, Yolmer/Mendick, Collins and Engel

Rotation: Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech, Cease, Lopez/Hill/Wood

NOT TOO SHABBY!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean...I said it it would be a fantastic offseason in post.  Some would definitely be disappointed we didn't get Cole/Stras/Rendon/JDM, but I too think it would put a pretty good team on the field in 2020.  

I don't know your rationale of picking Grandal over JDM in your post. JDM is mostly like opting out and Sox is in the short list of favorites to sign him, and he does fit within our price range. If he doesn't sign here, I think it more of an issue of fit than dollars. If you revised your OP with JDM over Grandal, you could still call it a realistic offseason.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

OD Lineup:

Garcia CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Anderson SS, Gardner/Dickerson RF, McCann C, Yolmer/Mendick 2B

Lineup by mid April:

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B, Eloy LF, Grandal DH, Anderson SS, Gardner/Dickerson RF, Madrigal 2B, McCann C

NOT TOO SHABBY!

That is a nicely put together team that could definitely do the job of beating up on the Tigers and Royals to put the Sox in the position of challenging for the playoffs.  Let's do it!!!

33 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don't know your rationale of picking Grandal over JDM in your post. JDM is mostly like opting out and Sox is in the short list of favorites to sign him, and he does fit within our price range. If he doesn't sign here, I think it more of an issue of fit than dollars. If you revised your OP with JDM over Grandal, you could still call it a realistic offseason.

I prefer Grandal to Martinez for a few reasons.

1. Sox really need lefty bats.  I also worry that the Sox would overplay Martinez in the OF.

2. 1B/DH gets super crowded with Martinez and Abreu.  I suspect JDM would get at minimum a 3 year deal, likely more, and with the Sox apparently planning to keep Abreu around for at least a few more seasons, it gets difficult to find Vaughn at bats .  I do think Vaughn will be ready by 2021 at the latest, so I am not exactly in a hurry to block him.

3. I suspect the McCann we saw in the 2nd half is the McCann we'll get in 2020.  He's still a solid major leaguer, but we need to not overexpose him.  A three-headed catcher DH combo of Grandal/Collins/McCann makes a ton of sense.  Grandal can also play 1B and put Abreu at DH at times.

4. I don't think the Sox are going to relegate Collins to a backup catcher at this point in his career.  They're going to want to DH him at least a couple times a week against RHP, and that is tough to do regularly without a third catcher on the roster.  

All that said, I wouldn't be against JDM + Grandal instead of Abreu + Grandal, but I doubt we see that happen.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Also Gardner is still capable of playing CF but really he's played about as much RF as Dickerson has which is basically zero but more than likely would be a better candidate to adjust quickly  since he is generally considered a good fielder even at his age while Dickerson s rep defensively is iffy. Gardner also doesn't have a particularly strong arm and if Puig wasn't such a crazy I'd consider him strongly as the best combo of power and defense. I'd approach him with not a lot of guaranteed money but a boatload in incentives that included heavy fines for tardiness or not following defensive positioning . Make it so he can make really good money by just playing great and following rules that everyone else has to follow. Fit in, play great, get paid.

Gardner also has a rep for helping young outfielders become better as he did with Judge just as JD Martinez has a rep for helping guys become better hitters.

I don't know how likely Gardner is . He always seemed like a Yankee for life kind of guy though.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I had Wheeler + Grandal + Abreu + Gardner + Bumgarner and a 2020 payroll $130.3

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

OD Lineup:

Lineup by mid April:

NOT TOO SHABBY!

Yes I like this one too. Is there a projected payroll you envision ?  Edit{  I see your payroll now). Just asking to see about relievers or a stronger bench piece like Holt or Kendrick. Nimmo would probably bring more OBP and if he's rebounds strongly he'd be a huge addition . He might be the one guy I'd do my best to trade for  especially if we lay the groundwork early in the off season and tell the Mets to keep us in the loop for him as we pursue FA starting pitching. Also not opposed to JBJ especially if non tendered.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I had Wheeler + Grandal + Abreu + Gardner + Bumgarner and a 2020 payroll $130.3

I think you're being quite conservative with your salary estimates. 

We're at about $70 million with Abreu assuming Sanchez is non-tendered. $10 million for Gardner bring to $80 million. $20 million each for the others brings to $140 million, and that's without bullpen help. You can get down to $130 if Bumgarner and Grandal and Wheeler are all substantially under $20 million, but then you have no bullpen help and no bench help.

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think you're being quite conservative with your salary estimates. 

We're at about $70 million with Abreu assuming Sanchez is non-tendered. $10 million for Gardner bring to $80 million. $20 million each for the others brings to $140 million, and that's without bullpen help. You can get down to $130 if Bumgarner and Grandal and Wheeler are all substantially under $20 million, but then you have no bullpen help and no bench help.

I think this is my fault, I was summing up the wrong column in the spreadsheet I made. It’s corrected on the main one now but if he copied it before it would still be summing up 2019 salaries.