Jump to content
BamaDoc

A Realistic Offseason

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I am honestly SOOOO baffled by the overwhelming support of Grandal >>>> JD Martinez.  It really doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  Literally a top 3 hitter in the game.  I understand Grandal is a good hitter and defender. But my lord, what catchers actually catch into their mid-30s and are successful?  Certainly not many, if any.  Plus many of you want to sign Grandal to DH him 2-3 times a week to get McCann in the lineup.... Isn't that what JD would do but on a far higher scale.  LH vs RH batter matters if the hitters are close to the same scale.. But they are't even in the same stratosphere. I simply don't get it.

I would be happy with either guy, but Grandal gives us more flexibility. With Abreu and JDM, you have your 1B and DH locked in for almost every single game. With Grandal, Collins can still be in the mix at C, 1B, or DH.  You would basically have 4 guys (McCann, Grandal, Collins, Abreu) rotating three spots, as opposed to the 1B and DH locked in every game without much flexibility. Also, Grandal's left handed bat gives the lineup more balance (not a huge deal in my mind, but certainly some added benefit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I am honestly SOOOO baffled by the overwhelming support of Grandal >>>> JD Martinez.  It really doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  Literally a top 3 hitter in the game.  I understand Grandal is a good hitter and defender. But my lord, what catchers actually catch into their mid-30s and are successful?  Certainly not many, if any.  Plus many of you want to sign Grandal to DH him 2-3 times a week to get McCann in the lineup.... Isn't that what JD would do but on a far higher scale.  LH vs RH batter matters if the hitters are close to the same scale.. But they are't even in the same stratosphere. I simply don't get it.

There has even debate on this.

Personally, if they stick with McCann as the starter next year, I'm good with it since he worked will with the pitchers and was good behind the plate. That's the most important job of the position.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Arbitration:
2B Yolmer Sanchez - Non Tender
CF Leury Garcia - Tender (4 million)
SP Carlos Rodon - Tender (4.5 million)
C James McCann - Tender (4.9 million)
RP Evan Marshall - Tender (1.3 million)
RP Josh Osich - Non Tender
2B Ryan Goins - Non Tender
RP Alex Colome - Tender (10.3 million)
Total: 25 million + the 14.5 million already committed

Resign:
1B Jose Abreu 2 years/30 million (15/year) option for year 3
Total: 15 million + 25 million +14.5 million
Total: 54.5 million

Free Agents:
DH J.D Martinez 4 years/90 million (22.5/year)
C Yasmani Grandal 4 years/77 million (19.25/year)
SP Zack Wheeler 4 years/85 million (21.25/year)
RF Kole Calhoun 1 year/12 million (12/year)
RP Collin McHugh 2 years/11 million (5.5/year)
RP Will Smith 3 years/26 million (8.67/year)
SP Alex Wood 1 year/10 million (10/year)
Total: 77.92 million + 54.5 million
Total: 153.67 million

Lineup:
2B Madrigal
CF Robert
3B Moncada
DH Martinez
LF Jimenez
C Grandal
1B Abreu
RF Calhoun
SS Anderson

Rotation:
SP Giolito
SP Wheeler
SP Cease
SP Wood
SP Lopez
Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, and Lambert waiting in the wings coming back from injury

Bullpen:
RP McHugh
RP Marshall
RP Fry
RP Cordero
RP Bummer
RP Herrera
RP Smith
RP Colome

Thoughts?

 


 

A few guys have the after arb and pre arb costs and resigning Abreu at around $68-70. If we could all start at the same point it would help things out. $54.5M is a big difference than $68-70M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I do believe they really could use a veteran leader, and Bumgarner's about as respected as anyone in the game...at least in certain circles.

Does anyone know anything about Wheeler's character/personality?  

Is he willing to be a mentor to younger pitchers...like a Mark Buehrle?  Or is he more like AJ, looking at every younger player as someone who might take his job away someday?

Having a Keuchel or Bumgarner has a set of intrinsic rewards, above and beyond their actual on-field performance level.  And it's not like they are in the last years of their career, like Jimmy Rollins or Vizquel when we brought them in. 

Is Bumgarner still a good thing. Maybe a visit from Kate Upton would turn back the clock. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think the White Sox understand the importance of this off-season. 

They talked a big game last year and came up short - destroying their PR even further and alienating their fanbase. They have been relatively quiet with this offseason approaching and I would consider that good news; they appear to have learned from their mistake.

They said the "money will be spent" and I think they understand the importance of meeting expectations this time around. Time will tell.

There is a small piece by Scott Merkin on the White Sox website. He seemed to think that the team was going to be very active. He echoed fans' wants such as two starting pitchers and right fielder. I don't know if that is a real indication of the organization is thinking at the moment. If they do spend money as they seem to be promising, 2020 can be a winning year. Merkin downplayed things some; he didn't believe the Sox would win it all. But if they are this active, it will truly show the team understands the importance if this off-season as you say.  I know it would do a lot for my outlook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Last year JD Martinez was literally the 16th best hitter in the game by wRC+, not top 3. The 15th best was someone named Moncada.

I'm taking into account his past few years as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

There is a small piece by Scott Merkin on the White Sox website. He seemed to think that the team was going to be very active. He echoed fans' wants such as two starting pitchers and right fielder. I don't know if that is a real indication of the organization is thinking at the moment. If they do spend money as they seem to be promising, 2020 can be a winning year. Merkin downplayed things some; he didn't believe the Sox would win it all. But if they are this active, it will truly show the team understands the importance if this off-season as you say.  I know it would do a lot for my outlook. 

Hard to say that a team that won 72 games is going to improve  by 18 wins+ and win it all - I dont think that means much. 

While the White Sox seemed to heighten expectations last year, they are doing the opposite this year.

This team has always worked better in the shadows than out front. They should stick to that. They just dont have the budget that large budget teams have so they shouldnt act arrogant like they did last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Arbitration:
2B Yolmer Sanchez - Non Tender
CF Leury Garcia - Tender (4 million)
SP Carlos Rodon - Tender (4.5 million)
C James McCann - Tender (4.9 million)
RP Evan Marshall - Tender (1.3 million)
RP Josh Osich - Non Tender
2B Ryan Goins - Non Tender
RP Alex Colome - Tender (10.3 million)
Total: 25 million + the 14.5 million already committed

Resign:
1B Jose Abreu 2 years/30 million (15/year) option for year 3
Total: 15 million + 25 million +14.5 million
Total: 54.5 million

Free Agents:
DH J.D Martinez 4 years/90 million (22.5/year)
C Yasmani Grandal 4 years/77 million (19.25/year)
SP Zack Wheeler 4 years/85 million (21.25/year)
RF Kole Calhoun 1 year/12 million (12/year)
RP Collin McHugh 2 years/11 million (5.5/year)
RP Will Smith 3 years/26 million (8.67/year)
SP Alex Wood 1 year/10 million (10/year)
Total: 77.92 million + 54.5 million
Total: 153.67 million

Lineup:
2B Madrigal
CF Robert
3B Moncada
DH Martinez
LF Jimenez
C Grandal
1B Abreu
RF Calhoun
SS Anderson

Rotation:
SP Giolito
SP Wheeler
SP Cease
SP Wood
SP Lopez
Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, and Lambert waiting in the wings coming back from injury

Bullpen:
RP McHugh
RP Marshall
RP Fry
RP Cordero
RP Bummer
RP Herrera
RP Smith
RP Colome

Thoughts?

 


 

Your optimism overwhelms me. A payroll of $153 million is something that I will  believe when I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Your optimism overwhelms me. A payroll of $153 million is something that I will  believe when I see it.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holy shit are you going to disappointed.  

If this example is not in the ballpark of what the Sox are going to do in the off-season then why sign anybody at all?

Just bring back "The kids can play" slogan and call it a day.

 

"No Bunts! No Bunting!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

Arbitration:
2B Yolmer Sanchez - Non Tender
CF Leury Garcia - Tender (4 million)
SP Carlos Rodon - Tender (4.5 million)
C James McCann - Tender (4.9 million)
RP Evan Marshall - Tender (1.3 million)
RP Josh Osich - Non Tender
2B Ryan Goins - Non Tender
RP Alex Colome - Tender (10.3 million)
Total: 25 million + the 14.5 million already committed

Resign:
1B Jose Abreu 2 years/30 million (15/year) option for year 3
Total: 15 million + 25 million +14.5 million
Total: 54.5 million

Free Agents:
DH J.D Martinez 4 years/90 million (22.5/year)
C Yasmani Grandal 4 years/77 million (19.25/year)
SP Zack Wheeler 4 years/85 million (21.25/year)
RF Kole Calhoun 1 year/12 million (12/year)
RP Collin McHugh 2 years/11 million (5.5/year)
RP Will Smith 3 years/26 million (8.67/year)
SP Alex Wood 1 year/10 million (10/year)
Total: 77.92 million + 54.5 million
Total: 153.67 million

Lineup:
2B Madrigal
CF Robert
3B Moncada
DH Martinez
LF Jimenez
C Grandal
1B Abreu
RF Calhoun
SS Anderson

Rotation:
SP Giolito
SP Wheeler
SP Cease
SP Wood
SP Lopez
Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, and Lambert waiting in the wings coming back from injury

Bullpen:
RP McHugh
RP Marshall
RP Fry
RP Cordero
RP Bummer
RP Herrera
RP Smith
RP Colome

Thoughts?

 


 

a $153,670,000 payroll would have only been the 13th highest payroll in baseball last year. The fact that so many on here think that a plan like this is completely unrealistic just goes to show how low our expectations have become. It's quite sad.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a $153,670,000 payroll would have only been the 13th highest payroll in baseball last year. The fact that so many on here think that a plan like this is completely unrealistic just goes to show how low our expectations have become. It's quite sad.

I don't think the amount of money given out is unrealistic.. I think signing the #4-8 free agents is unrealistic.  There are other teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony said:

I feel like if JDM does indeed opt-out, it's about 50-50 he ends up with the Sox. He just doesn't have a ton of suitors and Boras will already know if there are suitors that are interested enough in JDM for him to opt-out. 

Seems to be a perfectly good reason not to opt-out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Seems to be a perfectly good reason not to opt-out.

They'll trade him if he doesn't opt-out though. Opting out at least lets him choose his destination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They'll trade him if he doesn't opt-out though. Opting out at least lets him choose his destination. 

Either trade or opt out he may end up with the Sox. Might as well opt out and squeeze a couple extra million out of the Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a $153,670,000 payroll would have only been the 13th highest payroll in baseball last year. The fact that so many on here think that a plan like this is completely unrealistic just goes to show how low our expectations have become. It's quite sad.

It is worth considering that our revenues have dropped substantially, in both ticket sales and probably advertising, since the White Sox were last in the top 10 in payroll. Shared revenue has gone up, but that's true for every team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is worth considering that our revenues have dropped substantially, in both ticket sales and probably advertising, since the White Sox were last in the top 10 in payroll. Shared revenue has gone up, but that's true for every team. 

Theyrecently received $50 million from MLB advanced media and they're getting $1 million per game on NBC Sports Chicago. They have plenty of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Theyrecently received $50 million from MLB advanced media and they're getting $1 million per game on NBC Sports Chicago. They have plenty of money. 

That $50 million from that sale conveniently came at the same time they spent $50 million on Robert. And every other team got that same $50 million.

They have plenty of money to spend compared to their current payroll, but I'm not sure where their limit will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They'll trade him if he doesn't opt-out though. Opting out at least lets him choose his destination. 

but opting in guarantees his salary. Depends on his priorities. I think it's interesting for sox either way as it forces boston into some very weird territory if he opts in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That $50 million from that sale conveniently came at the same time they spent $50 million on Robert. And every other team got that same $50 million.

They have plenty of money to spend compared to their current payroll, but I'm not sure where their limit will be. 

I gotcha. I agree there. I'd take the under on $150 million but they only have $14.8 million committed to next year. I anticipate quite a bit of spending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I gotcha. I agree there. I'd take the under on $150 million but they only have $14.8 million committed to next year. I anticipate quite a bit of spending. 

Well yeah, but that's a completely unrealistic number. They're not going to turn down arbitration on Colome, McCann, Leury, and they have to fill a 25 man roster. Add in Abreu and they're at $70-ish million, give or take, as a starting point. Don't make it sound like more payroll is available than there really is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tony said:

All it takes is one team that values his services more than what he is making with the Red Sox. Of course things can change by December, but Boras will have a very good idea of the market and what the offers are going to be before JD has to actually make that decision. 

JDM has to make that decision a few days after the World Series ends, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is worth considering that our revenues have dropped substantially, in both ticket sales and probably advertising, since the White Sox were last in the top 10 in payroll. Shared revenue has gone up, but that's true for every team. 

Very much doubt this.  Even if it's true a rising tide lifts all boats.  The Sox don't get "extra credit" for not spending money that is generated from MLB as an entity.

If the Sox aren't committed to a top 10 payroll during contending years this won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert: Did you have a chance to see Micker Adolfo in Arizona? Do you think he can still unlock his massive tools if he stays healthy?
Keith Law: Yep, can still hit, with power, going to swing and miss but will walk some and hit enough HR to profile as a regular.

Not 100% about this off-season, but I found this response to be a good thing at the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×