A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Fuck it just sign Strasburg and Rendon and you're at around $130M payroll .Stick Moncada in RF , If that happens I care a lot less about balance in the lineup OBP or LH power. Go with Stras, Gio, Cease, Kopech, and Lopez in the rotation. Stick Collins at DH and find another cheap catcher like Avila or Castro. Save some money for 2021 which is going to be the real contention year anyway.

Weather or not this should be in green i have no idea. Every thread it's the same conversations over and over and the season isn't even over yet. I think I've heard everyone's ideas and not a lot is going to change much until a week after the World Series ends when we find out who opts out and to a lesser extent on Dec.2nd when we find out who is non tendered, See y'all in 10 days or so.

I'm 100% on board with signing Rendon and moving Moncada to RF. Moncada would be above average in the OF, at least. I can see him being an elite right fielder. Add Madrigal and you have a damn good defense. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I'm 100% on board with signing Rendon and moving Moncada to RF. Moncada would be above average in the OF, at least. I can see him being an elite right fielder. Add Madrigal and you have a damn good defense. 

If the Sox would sign Rendon that would be great for the Sox offensively but it might be difficult asking Moncada to change positions two seasons in a row.  Especially considering how good of season he had last year at third base.  On defense with Abreu and Eloy being below average defenders, Anderson needing to cut down on errors, and Moncada never playing outfield before the Sox would still have a ways to go before becoming good defense.

Edited by Good Guys

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

Rendon already turned down a $210/7 year deal w Washington last month. If the Sox went for him, I would not be confident they would still be willing to spend big bucks elsewhere. I think if they are going to spend $30Mil it should go to SP as the first priority. If you think they are going to do that and still spend 30+ on Rendon then I agree. My gut is they will jump the payroll to $125. 

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Fuck it just sign Strasburg and Rendon and you're at around $130M payroll .Stick Moncada in RF , If that happens I care a lot less about balance in the lineup OBP or LH power. Go with Stras, Gio, Cease, Kopech, and Lopez in the rotation. Stick Collins at DH and find another cheap catcher like Avila or Castro. Save some money for 2021 which is going to be the real contention year anyway.

Weather or not this should be in green i have no idea. Every thread it's the same conversations over and over and the season isn't even over yet. I think I've heard everyone's ideas and not a lot is going to change much until a week after the World Series ends when we find out who opts out and to a lesser extent on Dec.2nd when we find out who is non tendered, See y'all in 10 days or so.

You ain't going anywhere, so sit back, relax, and strap it down. 

• Like 1

Win or lose in game 7, Nats have the money to resign both Rendon and Strasburg. They have only $115M payrolls after options and arb cost, all they really need is a 1B, part time C, and a couple of BP arms. They have money to go into luxury tax after staying under this year.

10 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sure, but no one is advocating Moose as the Sox’ top signing this winter. As a third or fourth signing, though, he’d be fine.

Moose and Zack would be two great catches for Soxorg. Perfect Chicago weather for hosting Game 7 tonight.

12 hours ago, pcq said:

Moose and Zack would be two great catches for Soxorg. Perfect Chicago weather for hosting Game 7 tonight.

No way Zack is going to pitch in Chicago. Hasn't he always included Chicago in places he won't go via trade? We're not signing Cole or Stras. Cmon I hate to be a jerk but they won't be going to the Sox. Sox ne3ed to sign some good free agents, though. Everybody agrees about that.

Edited by greg775

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No way Zack is going to pitch in Chicago. Hasn't he always included Chicago in places he won't go via trade? We're not signing Cole or Stras. Cmon I hate to be a jerk but they won't be going to the Sox. Sox ne3ed to sign some good free agents, though. Everybody agrees about that.

Greinke or Wheeler?

With Verlander perhaps fading a bit (we'll see how he is next April/May), and Cole perhaps unaffordable even to the Astros, they're going to have to hold onto Greinke, who has the type of repertoire that will last into his late 30's or even early 40's.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Greinke or Wheeler?

With Verlander perhaps fading a bit (we'll see how he is next April/May), and Cole perhaps unaffordable even to the Astros, they're going to have to hold onto Greinke, who has the type of repertoire that will last into his late 30's or even early 40's.

Oops I mean Greinke.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:24 AM, SCCWS said:

Rendon already turned down a $210/7 year deal w Washington last month. If the Sox went for him, I would not be confident they would still be willing to spend big bucks elsewhere. I think if they are going to spend $30Mil it should go to SP as the first priority. If you think they are going to do that and still spend 30+ on Rendon then I agree. My gut is they will jump the payroll to $125. 

Have the Sox actually made any statement about where they want to end up payroll wise for 2020? Where they are willing to go payroll wise for 2021 onward? 

The average MLB payroll is $138 million, and if we aren't willing to be at $140 million in 2021 then this whole rebuild was a sham. We do need to save $20-25 million for next year's free agent market I would imagine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Have the Sox actually made any statement about where they want to end up payroll wise for 2020? Where they are willing to go payroll wise for 2021 onward? 

The average MLB payroll is $138 million, and if we aren't willing to be at $140 million in 2021 then this whole rebuild was a sham. We do need to save $20-25 million for next year's free agent market I would imagine. 

It would not be wise for them to make a statement about payroll expectations.  If they come out and say, "We are willing to increase payroll to $150 million", and then they strike out on some big free agents, it will only lead to more disappointment. I think they learned their lesson last year and will just let it play out.

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Also will have Moncada and Giolito likely seeing significant raises. 

7 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Options:

SP: Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Quintana*, Hamels, Miley

RP: Betances, Rondon, Harris, Hudson

DH: Martinez*, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Kendrick

RF: Ozuna, Puig, Gordon (not leaving KC), Markakis, Castellanos, Avi

Other: Abreu (will be back), Grandal, Adam Jones

Quintana and Markakis will not be FA.  They both have no brainier team options.  

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you see what Joe Kelly and Nathan Eovaldi got last offseason? 

Yeah, playoffs where you can show off as a multi-inning reliever/stopper like Hader certainly are getting paid, in part because they so rarely get to show that off in the regular season.

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I don't think the Sox have placed a number on their 2020 budget. Hopefully it has a range beofre they wade in and not a cap. I believe the MLB average is  $127 million for 2019 opening day and $149 million  for CBT purposes. 

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think the Sox have placed a number on their 2020 budget. Hopefully it has a range beofre they wade in and not a cap. I believe the MLB average is  $127 million for 2019 opening day and $149 million  for CBT purposes. 

I'm assuming that the number bolded also includes the $14 million off-the-books insurance costs that every team seems to pay?