A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

29 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Dodgers have their 3 outfielders in Verdugo, Bellinger and Pollock. Pederson is expendable. What do you expect that he will get, in his final year of arbitration?

The Dodgers absolutely do not think this way. The Dodgers play legitimately 5 outfielders, maybe 6. Bellinger can shift to 1b. Pederson gets platooned. Pollack will miss 1/2 the season for injury. Especially with an extra roster spot, they will happily go into next year with Pollack, Bellinger, Verdugo, Pederson, Lux, and Taylor as outfielder/1b types, expecting some people to get hurt and some people to switch positions. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Dodgers absolutely do not think this way. The Dodgers play legitimately 5 outfielders, maybe 6. Bellinger can shift to 1b. Pederson gets platooned. Pollack will miss 1/2 the season for injury. Especially with an extra roster spot, they will happily go into next year with Pollack, Bellinger, Verdugo, Pederson, Lux, and Taylor as outfielder/1b types, expecting some people to get hurt and some people to switch positions. 

I don't understand this concept....I thought you were supposed to have 1, maybe 2 decent outfielders and the rest of them shuttle back and forth from AAA.  :cool:

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That is a valid point. The problem is that there just aren't any good left handed, right fielders, in this year's free agent class. You know me, I'm dead set on finding some lineup balance, with the 2 open spots, in our offense.  If they sign Grandal, I suppose that they could try to get buy, until 2021, as you suggest. 

He's not a free agent yet, but Kole Calhoun is widely expected to be available. He has a $14 million option; the Angels may or may not pick that up depending on how strong of a push they are planning for Cole, but even if they do pick it up, he should not cost much in a trade with that high salary. Steve Stone has floated Calhoun as an option and Stone is very much a front office mouthpiece for this organization. 

Josh Reddick similarly is very likely to be available this offseason as the Astros are right up against the tax and need pitching help in their bullpen: Kyle Tucker is ready to take that spot next year and putting him there is the right move if you're the Stros and you want to contend for years to come. 

In both of these cases I can see the teams picking up a portion of their money to move them, for a limited prospect return. 

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's not a free agent yet, but Kole Calhoun is widely expected to be available. He has a $14 million option; the Angels may or may not pick that up depending on how strong of a push they are planning for Cole, but even if they do pick it up, he should not cost much in a trade with that high salary. Steve Stone has floated Calhoun as an option and Stone is very much a front office mouthpiece for this organization. 

Josh Reddick similarly is very likely to be available this offseason as the Astros are right up against the tax and need pitching help in their bullpen: Kyle Tucker is ready to take that spot next year and putting him there is the right move if you're the Stros and you want to contend for years to come. 

In both of these cases I can see the teams picking up a portion of their money to move them, for a limited prospect return. 

As I stated, Calhoun has been awful, against LH pitching, so he would have to be platooned. Reddick offers little power, for a guy who has put up sub par OBP, the last couple of seasons. I'm just not intrigued by either player. All just more evidence of how few LH power bats there are, out there. Very frustrating. The Sox have the money to spend, and no one to spend it on. 

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

As I stated, Calhoun has been awful, against LH pitching, so he would have to be platooned. Reddick offers little power, for a guy who has put up sub par OBP, the last couple of seasons. I'm just not intrigued by either player. All just more evidence of how few LH power bats there are, out there. Very frustrating. The Sox have the money to spend, and no one to spend it on. 

There is PLENTY to spend it on.  

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

So WSD this week predicted the Sox trade for their next RF.  He mentioned Marte, but didn’t seem like #scoopcity and more of just one possibility. What would you be willing to give up for Mitch Haniger?

As I’ve said before, use your money to add one of Wheeler / Bumgarner, one of JDM / Grandal, one quality reliever, and a swing-man.  Use your trade assets to acquire a RF.  There are a ton of guys who might be available and I think we should be able to land someone at a decent price.  Not sure I love Marte given he’s a 31 year old righty who doesn’t walk a lot (although he does get hit by a ton of pitches which helps).

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As I’ve said before, use your money to add one of Wheeler / Bumgarner, one of JDM / Grandal, one quality reliever, and a swing-man.  Use your trade assets to acquire a RF.  There are a ton of guys who might be available and I think we should be able to land someone at a decent price.  Not sure I love Marte given he’s a 31 year old righty who doesn’t walk a lot (although he does get hit by a ton of pitches which helps).

I'd honestly be fine with Mazara if the rest of the FA adds are quality.  

55 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Leury Garcia would make a very solid platoon RF partner.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, of course there are some great players, however I was referring specifically to the RF hole, and an effort to fill it with a middle of the order, LH bat.

Lillian, you realize Calhouns OPS vs LHP is over .225 better than Pedersen.  If you sign Grandal, he makes sense as a primary catcher, part time DH/1b and can hit middle of the order.  Grandal would allow your RF addition to bat lower thus not requiring as much offense(gloves matter).  I totally agree with you that I want a LH RF addition.  You weren't around when I started this post but read my original post.  Gardner makes a lot of sense to me.

Josh Reddick,  Jay Bruce,  Calhoun could all be acquired cheaply and also fit that one year place holder position.  I prefer Gardner.   I actually don't give up Bummer for one year.  With the three batter rule, a lefty without splits should have a lot of value.

3 hours ago, wegner said:

Honestly, I don't understand the point of trading away assets for a 1 year rental.  Use the money that is going to be spent on a short term free agent until we see what we have in our OF prospects.  My problem is that I have been a big fan of Steele Walker for awhile and many posters here just throw him in as one of the pieces of a trade.  That being said, I respect your opinion.  I just think we should spend the $, mostly on pitching, this year.  Pederson will be there next year in free agency if we want him then.

Good post.  I would offer Fulmer and perhaps throw in Fry.  No way I would give three players all with some hope of making the grade.  Calhoun is available for just money.  Bummer would be a non starter for me.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Lillian, you realize Calhouns OPS vs LHP is over .225 better than Pedersen.  If you sign Grandal, he makes sense as a primary catcher, part time DH/1b and can hit middle of the order.  Grandal would allow your RF addition to bat lower thus not requiring as much offense(gloves matter).  I totally agree with you that I want a LH RF addition.  You weren't around when I started this post but read my original post.  Gardner makes a lot of sense to me.

You're right. Pederson is also terrible against LH pitching, and should probably be platooned, as well. I'm sorry, but Gardner just doesn't inspire me, because he doesn't have the power to hit in the heart of the order. I don't trust last year's home run totals, which could be an outlier.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Lux is a 2B by trade (200 games in the minors at SS, where they obviously have Seager and 60 at second base)...but they can also play Muncy, Hernandez and even Taylor there.  And Taylor/Pollock both missed significant time last season.

Pollock, btw.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I strongly prefer one of those 2 to any of the other RF options I've seen considered. 

Me too. I officially want JDM and Calhoun. Collins can catch 2 or 3 times a week and play 1B/DH a couple times a week. This gives him 4 or 5 games per week early on to see what he does with it. If he can be a consistent OBP guy with power, he can keep playing more. 

Then sign Wheeler and someone like Hamels/Hill to fill out the rotation. Throw in a solid bullpen piece, and we have ourselves a very solid offseason. 

Side note: I’ve wanted Grandal more than JDM for a long time, but I’m starting to lean toward JDM now. I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to Grandal, though. Give me one of those two guys. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

You're right. Pederson is also terrible against LH pitching, and should probably be platooned, as well. I'm sorry, but Gardner just doesn't inspire me, because he doesn't have the power to hit in the heart of the order. I don't trust last year's home run totals, which could be an outlier.

If you get Grandal, Gardner could hit 6-8 in my eyes but what the heck in the playoffs for the Yankees he hit three so I don't think he lack value.

10 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

If you get Grandal, Gardner could hit 6-8 in my eyes but what the heck in the playoffs for the Yankees he hit three so I don't think he lack value.

If they acquire Grandal, Gardner would be ok, on a short term contract. Works for me, if they spend the money on pitching. Moreover, if they let Grandal catch, with McCann, there would still be room to sign a veteran, such as Encarnacion, to a short term contract, to DH. Of course, that leaves Abreu with a lot of playing time at first, and dramatically reduces playing time for Collins.   

Edited by Lillian

Yankees might be interested in freeing up payroll to pursue Cole. Happ will be 37 and owed $17m for 2020 but would fit the back-end of WS rotation. If desire to move him compels them to throw in Tauchman (Chgo kid who hits from left side w/pop and excels at any OF spot) for say Fulmer and Collins,  we'd nicely solve two areas of need, although my guess is Tauchman figures in NYY plans next year and beyond.  

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yankees might be interested in freeing up payroll to pursue Cole. Happ will be 37 and owed $17m for 2020 but would fit the back-end of WS rotation. If desire to move him compels them to throw in Tauchman (Chgo kid who hits from left side w/pop and excels at any OF spot) for say Fulmer and Collins,  we'd nicely solve two areas of need, although my guess is Tauchman figures in NYY plans next year and beyond.  

Moving Collins as basically a throw-in makes no sense.   They already have Andujar, Voit, Bird and multiple catchers...with Gary Sanchez already being an offense first catcher.

Unless they were paying $5-7 million of Happ’s salary, Hahn wouldn’t consider it...not without Tauchman.

But we still shouldn’t sell low on Collins, and the Yankees don’t need him.

The idea would be to land Tauchman. Thats the only reason to take on Happs salary (or most of it). The exact WS pieces are fungible but after Sanchez, Yankees are thin (Romine FA?) at catcher and 1B is unclear now that EE non-tendered and Bird out of the picture. Collins might be very attractive to them. 

Just now, Flash said:

The idea would be to land Tauchman. Thats the only reason to take on Happs salary (or most of it). The exact WS pieces are fungible but after Sanchez, Yankees are thin (Romine FA?) at catcher and 1B is unclear now that EE non-tendered and Bird out of the picture. Collins might be very attractive to them. 

Well, if the majority of the White Sox fanbase doesn’t even trust Collins to get regular at-bats on a rebuilding team, I’m not sure why one of the top 3-5 World Series contenders would.

Unless our player development and/or talent assessment since the original Hostetler draft selection is THAT bad.

As I lay here sick in bed I randomly decided to look up the splits of all these LHH RFers that have been discussed as suiters.....They have all been terrible here in Chicago. Is that something that should even be looked at? Is that maybe why a lot of the LH hitters the Sox have brought in have not been all that great outside of elite guys like Thome and Moncada?