A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah but they really don't have any payroll flexibility.

Well, we know Cole's going elsewhere.

They've got Tucker and Alvarez that are dirt cheap.   That probably means they have to part with the likes of Marisnick and Reddick to free up some additional money.

They still have Urquidy and Whitley (if he can return to form) for the back end of the rotation.  Not sure the latest on McCullers.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They've got Tucker and Alvarez that are dirt cheap.   That probably means they have to part with the likes of Marisnick and Reddick to free up some additional money.

They still have Urquidy and Whitley (if he can return to form) for the back end of the rotation.  Not sure the latest on McCullers.

Good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/payroll/#

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Reddick has no value and no one will take him off their hands without a prospect coming back with him or a bad contract going the other way.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, let's see how Crane reacts to losing the World Series up 3-2 going home with Verlander and Greinke on the mound.

I don't think Grandal will get $20 million AAV per year, either.  We'll see.

What?  There are no rumors connecting the Astros to Grandal and they clearly are in a tough financial spot, yet here you are making baseless arguments for why they’re going to get him.  I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish other than being irrationally negative.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What?  There are no rumors connecting the Astros to Grandal and they clearly are in a tough financial spot, yet here you are making baseless arguments for why they’re going to get him.  I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish other than being irrationally negative.

I don't see the Astros either. But I haven't seenmuch speculation about his status w the Brewers. They had a light payroll last year, drew close to 3 Mil. and had a pretty good year. I got to think they are going to try and keep him. Unless there was friction,  I would think they have the inside track if they intend to pony up $18-20.  

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I don't see the Astros either. But I haven't seenmuch speculation about his status w the Brewers. They had a light payroll last year, drew close to 3 Mil. and had a pretty good year. I got to think they are going to try and keep him. Unless there was friction,  I would think they have the inside track if they intend to pony up $18-20.  

Brewers need pitching pretty bad and have a couple other positional needs.  I don't think they are realistic with how much his price will be driven up.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Brewers need pitching pretty bad and have a couple other positional needs.  I don't think they are realistic with how much his price will be driven up.

But w the light payroll they gave him $16 last year.  Maybe I am off, but I doubt he gets more than $20 so that is not a big hit for them. If they don't resign him, that creates another positional need. Hopefully he doesn't like Milwaukee and wants a change of scenery. 

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Here’s an idea...Didi Gregorius. He didn’t get a qualifying offer and bats left handed. Could play 2B until Madrigal gets called up, DH a bit, and spell Anderson at SS

There is one small downside to Didi..... he sucks as the hitter we need. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

16 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How does he not make sense? Like I said, he could get at-bats at several different positions. He makes a lot of sense especially if the Sox don’t acquire a full time DH. 

Where is he getting at bats?  Tim Anderson is on the team and Madrigal will be up after 20 or so games.  The Sox aren't going to give him 10 million a year to spell Tim and have 300 ABs. 

He's started 7 games at 2nd and that was in 2014.

28 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How does he not make sense? Like I said, he could get at-bats at several different positions. He makes a lot of sense especially if the Sox don’t acquire a full time DH. 

I'm certainly not against Didi Gregorius. I've been pushing Moustakas and people seem to think he doesn't fit either even though I literally explained how he does fit. You have to remember people want the sexy names even though the Sox don't have the payroll for the sexy names at all positions. It's always like "Can't we do better than that ?"  We all see the fit for who we want to see fit. People thought JDM was a perfect fit . I didn't and apparently neither did Boras and JDM. The next closest to a perfect fit is Grandal but there are just as many reasons not to go after him as there are reason to go after him.

It's as if people have totally forgot what a bunch of stiffs we had playing last year and all of a sudden youngish potential 2-3 WAR guys aren't enough. Anyone you can get who might be had for a $10M AAV give or take a million who is undervalued without a QO needs to be seriously considered just as DJ LeMahieu last year.

Moose, Dickerson, Gregorius  or other names will provide depth and make sure we don't return to the star and scrubs lineup like we had before. We have the budding stars now just add the depth pieces and a very high quality starting pitcher and give it another year. There's no way the Sox have a shot at the playoffs in 2020 so why not just give the youngsters a chance to grow another year and see what we get this year from Robert, Madrigal , Kopech , Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Dunning  , Collins along with the minor league OF's and Mercedes. If somehow enough of the youngsters  do very well this year you can add at the All Star break.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

DiDi to me only makes sense if his market crashes and he ends up with a pillow contract - but it feels like the Yankees would be there for him in that situation. It doesn’t feel like a fit with the Sox bear term. I like DiDi a lot though.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm certainly not against Didi Gregorius. I've been pushing Moustakas and people seem to think he doesn't fit either even though I literally explained how he does fit. You have to remember people want the sexy names even though the Sox don't have the payroll for the sexy names at all positions. It's always like "Can't we do better than that ?"  We all see the fit for who we want to see fit. People thought JDM was a perfect fit . I didn't and apparently neither did Boras and JDM. The next closest to a perfect fit is Grandal but there are just as many reasons not to go after him as there are reason to go after him.

It's as if people have totally forgot what a bunch of stiffs we had playing last year and all of a sudden youngish potential 2-3 WAR guys aren't enough. Anyone you can get who might be had for a $10M AAV give or take a million who is undervalued without a QO needs to be seriously considered just as DJ LeMahieu last year.

Moose, Dickerson, Gregorius  or other names will provide depth and make sure we don't return to the star and scrubs lineup like we had before. We have the budding stars now just add the depth pieces and a very high quality starting pitcher and give it another year. There's no way the Sox have a shot at the playoffs in 2020 so why not just give the youngsters a chance to grow another year and see what we get this year from Robert, Madrigal , Kopech , Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Dunning  , Collins along with the minor league OF's and Mercedes. If somehow enough of the youngsters  do very well this year you can add at the All Star break.

That has nothing to do with why he didn't opt out.  He didn't opt out because there were like 4 teams that could have used him, including the White Sox, which would have suppressed his market.  He didn't want to lose out on 60+ guarenteed.

DJL had a starting spot at 2B.  Didi does not have a starting spot and would still get ~10 million a year for a handful of at bats.  He makes no sense for the Sox.  He does not hit near well enough to be taken seriously as a DH.

53 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Where is he getting at bats?  Tim Anderson is on the team and Madrigal will be up after 20 or so games.  The Sox aren't going to give him 10 million a year to spell Tim and have 300 ABs. 

He's started 7 games at 2nd and that was in 2014.

He could DH several times a week. There’s definitely enough at-bats to go around.

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He could DH several times a week. There’s definitely enough at-bats to go around.

But he can't hit and doesn't have a position.  He had a .718 OPS last year.  We literally just went through this in 2019 at the DH spot that was something historically bad at like -3.5 WAR or whatever it was.  He makes no sense. 

Some team that actually needs a SS will sign him anyways.

Didi has a similar profile to LeMahieu and hits from the left side. He can play anywhere in the IF and will hit 25 HRs at GRF w/800ish OPS. He was hurt for most of last year and only had 300 ABs. Personally, I'd love it if he could play 1B but he would be handy to have around at a number of positions and, while TA had a big year with the bat, I wouldn't concede SS to him w/Gregorius onboard. In fact, as has been posited here in the past, TA might be better suited for OF.

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

Didi has a similar profile to LeMahieu and hits from the left side. He can play anywhere in the IF and will hit 25 HRs at GRF w/800ish OPS. He was hurt for most of last year and only had 300 ABs. Personally, I'd love it if he could play 1B but he would be handy to have around at a number of positions and, while TA had a big year with the bat, I wouldn't concede SS to him w/Gregorius onboard. In fact, as has been posited here in the past, TA might be better suited for OF.

Now THAT is a hot take 🤣

Edited by BackDoorBreach