A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Are the Yankees?

They didn’t give him a QO, but we’re giving Abreu one who is worth roughly 30-35% by your 4.4 projection.

If he’s going to put up those numbers, he’s a $30-35 million dollar player...at the very least, in the mid $20’s.

And yet the Yankees aren’t seeing that value so clearly.    Are they really going to play Torres at SS, LeMahieu at 2B and Andujar/Urshela on the left side?   That would be a terrible alignment with Torres and Andujar on the field at the same time. 

https://unhingedyankees.com/2019/08/09/a-way-too-early-2020-yankees-roster-prediction/

1B: Luke Voit

2B: Gleyber Torres

SS: Didi Gregorius

3B: DJ LeMahieu

Reserve: Gio Urshela

There are a couple of question marks for the Yankees infield heading into 2020. The biggest question will be will they re-sign Didi Gregorius. I believe the answer will be yes.

Gregorius has been a catalyst in helping the Yankees rebound from a handful of down years into becoming a perennial contender. His production both at the plate and in the field is irreplaceable, and it’s doubtful they will let that walk out the door.

With Andujar coming back, the Yankees have an infield logjam; making Didi expendable. 

They may think he is worth the QO but they don't want the risk of him accepting it and playing one more year to how he's recovered from TJ fully before entering FA again with no QO tied to him.

Regardless, your entire argument is that he is worth 9-10 million. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. 

He'll sign a multi-year deal somewhere in the 15-18 million range per year.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I just explained it above.  Polonco is a terrible SS.  He won't be there longterm.  

He's not great there no doubt, and while Tim is better and has a higher defensive ceiling for sure it wouldn't be all that different than a Twins fan saying the Sox should move Anderson off short for Didi.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's not great there no doubt, and while Tim is better and has a higher defensive ceiling for sure it wouldn't be all that different than a Twins fan saying the Sox should move Anderson off short for Didi.

The defensive ceilings aren't even remotely close. I see what you're saying, but I have lived in MN my entire life outside of 4 years in college and watch a lot of the Twins when the Sox aren't playing. I know more about the Twins than most Twins fans.  I assure you Polanco will not be their SS long-term, and while I cannot guarantee you they'll sign Didi, I can tell you that they will try.  Just like I said Odorizzi would get the QO offer a week ago when most thought he wouldn't. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The defensive ceilings aren't even remotely close. I see what you're saying, but I have lived in MN my entire life outside of 4 years in college and watch a lot of the Twins when the Sox aren't playing. I know more about the Twins than most Twins fans.  I assure you Polanco will not be their SS long-term, and while I cannot guarantee you they'll sign Didi, I can tell you that they will try.  Just like I said Odorizzi would get the QO offer a week ago when most thought he wouldn't. 

I thought there was little doubt they'd extend him a QO; I was with you there. It made sense; control and suppress his market, limit risk and liability, and also pay him close to market rate - make him prove it one more year before investing any longevity into him. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I thought there was little doubt they'd extend him a QO; I was with you there. It made sense; control and suppress his market, limit risk and liability, and also pay him close to market rate - make him prove it one more year before investing any longevity into him. 

Yah.  He pretty much has to take it.  I don't even think they're interested in him long term, but they need to fill 3.5 rotation spots for next season and he solves 1 of them.  Let him pitch on a 1 year deal, then he goes into the market next year without the QO.  Frankly it is a win-win for both sides based on the circumstances.  Definitely more risk for him than the Twins, but Odorizzi is a guy that could get Kuechel'd if he rejects the QO, or find himself signing a 2 year deal with an overall value just slightly higher than the $17.8M he could get in 2020. 

Trade Chits...guessing we would consider parting with Lopez, Colome, Fulmer, Fry and maybe Rodon along with any minor leaguers not named Robert, Vaughn or Madrigal. That said, is there a package we could assemble to entice Pirates to send us Marte and Archer? Or maybe Rox send Gray and Dahl?

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Trade Chits...guessing we would consider parting with Lopez, Colome, Fulmer, Fry and maybe Rodon along with any minor leaguers not named Robert, Vaughn or Madrigal. That said, is there a package we could assemble to entice Pirates to send us Marte and Archer? Or maybe Rox send Gray and Dahl?

Not without trading someone they shouldn't. 

It's going to be very hard for them to make trades this offseason. They don't have any pieces that are disposable and desirable to other teams. 

This might sound nutzo, but I think they could get Gregory Polanco(Pirates) for RF for cheap, and it checks off the LH bat and decent defensive RF boxes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We are going to be extremely disappointed this off-season. A lot more teams will be in on FA's than last year.

I don't see Grandal and Wheeler unless we blow the market away. If we end up with lower tier guys, I can see Hahn talking about how the market didn't produce many realistic opportunities. And how there will be more opportunities down the line, but the money will be spent. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

30 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We are going to be extremely disappointed this off-season. A lot more teams will be in on FA's than last year.

Yep. It's hard to see how they're going to improve much this winter. 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they land any top or mid tier FA. Just too many teams out there that actually have a current valuation of players. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

All hope is lost.  Looks like Sox should just fold the organization.  

Not really saying that, I still think the team can be pretty good with the minor leaguers coming up and Kopech coming back from injury. But we have heard "the money will be spent" numerous times and I just don't see it this off-season. I hope I am wrong and we land a bigger FA but I have a feeling we will end up overpaying for a guy just so the front office can say we spent the money to get better.

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Not really saying that, I still think the team can be pretty good with the minor leaguers coming up and Kopech coming back from injury. But we have heard "the money will be spent" numerous times and I just don't see it this off-season. I hope I am wrong and we land a bigger FA but I have a feeling we will end up overpaying for a guy just so the front office can say we spent the money to get better.

There is frankly no basis for this take other than pure pessimism. While I don't expect the Sox to sign Cole, Rendon or Strasburg, there are plenty of FAs that make varying degrees of sense.  Sure, there will be competition for their services.  But there are few teams better positioned to add FA than the Sox.  

Rick Hahn also likes to make trades.  I find it very unlikely we go this entire offseason without adding a everyday player or rotation member via trade.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not without trading someone they shouldn't. 

It's going to be very hard for them to make trades this offseason. They don't have any pieces that are disposable and desirable to other teams. 

This might sound nutzo, but I think they could get Gregory Polanco(Pirates) for RF for cheap, and it checks off the LH bat and decent defensive RF boxes. 

I think this is a lot of hyperbole. Also depends on who you think “shouldn’t” be traded...which for me would be a short list. Are we going to trade for a great player with years of control left? Nope. But a solid starter player shouldn’t be that hard to pull off 

The Sox are in a position where adding a handful of 2-3 win players will give them a chance. I want them to aim higher than that, but the absolute dumbest thing they can do is sit on their hands and do absolutely nothing, burning more core years in the process. 

A 2 win RF, DH, and Pitcher are probably honestly worth more like, what 10 wins for this team when you account for the holes that they'd be filling?

Edited by mqr

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think this is a lot of hyperbole. Also depends on who you think “shouldn’t” be traded...which for me would be a short list. Are we going to trade for a great player with years of control left? Nope. But a solid starter player shouldn’t be that hard to pull off 

Players that shouldn't be traded: 

Moncada

Jimenez

Giolito

Kopech

Cease

Robert

Vaughn

Anderson

I could be convinced to trade Madrigal or Lopez. Other than them, it's hard to see what they're going to trade to get someone decent. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Players that shouldn't be traded: 

Moncada

Jimenez

Giolito

Kopech

Cease

Robert

Vaughn

Anderson

I could be convinced to trade Madrigal or Lopez. Other than them, it's hard to see what they're going to trade to get someone decent. 

Stiever is certainly a prospect I can see the Sox trying to sell high on this offseason. Him combined with others won't get you a star, but it could help swing a deal for a solid regular. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Stiever is certainly a prospect I can see the Sox trying to sell high on this offseason. Him combined with others won't get you a star, but it could help swing a deal for a solid regular. 

What would it realistically take to get Conforto?  I imagine a propsect in the 70-100 range PLUS a few other interesting prospects.. We don't really have a guy that fits that.. but what about a Dunning + Rutherford/Walker/Basabe + a prospect in the 20-30 range..  I think Dunning would have to headline.  So more depth but they won't be getting the higher prospect they probably could from us. I'd love Conforto he literally checks all our boxes.  Middle of the order bat, LH, fine RF defense, control and he plays for a team that needs to probably rid themselves of an OF.  I think he can be had.

Edited by cjgalloway

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is frankly no basis for this take other than pure pessimism. While I don't expect the Sox to sign Cole, Rendon or Strasburg, there are plenty of FAs that make varying degrees of sense.  Sure, there will be competition for their services.  But there are few teams better positioned to add FA than the Sox.  

Rick Hahn also likes to make trades.  I find it very unlikely we go this entire offseason without adding a everyday player or rotation member via trade.  

I am pretty pessimistic but I think a lot of Sox fans are at this point and the front office is feeling the pressure to do something this off-season after what happened last year. So I wouldn't doubt if the bigger names are off the table and Hahn and company over pay for a couple guys.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You also have to take into account the fact that the Sox are one of the least desirable places to play from a players perspective in baseball. Players would rather play almost anywhere else. The Sox are right there with Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati on the "worst places to play in MLB" list.  I'm sure that people would rather play for the Rays or Marlins because at least it's Florida. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

What would it realistically take to get Conforto?  I imagine a propsect in the 70-100 range PLUS a few other interesting prospects.. We don't really have a guy that fits that.. but what about a Dunning + Rutherford/Walker/Basabe + a prospect in the 20-30 range..  I think Dunning would have to headline.  So more depth but they won't be getting the higher prospect they probably could from us. I'd love Conforto he literally checks all our boxes.  Middle of the order bat, LH, fine RF defense, control and he plays for a team that needs to probably rid themselves of an OF.  I think he can be had.

I think Dunning/Steiver + Walker + prospect in 20-30 range maybe get you Nimmo.  I don't think it gets you Conforto.  But some others here think that doesn't get you close to Nimmo, so its hard to tell.  

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You also have to take into account the fact that the Sox are one of the least desirable places to play from a players perspective in baseball. Players would rather play almost anywhere else. The Sox are right there with Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati on the "worst places to play in MLB" list.  I'm sure that people would rather play for the Rays or Marlins because at least it's Florida. 

Yah, I don't really agree.  But continue to feel like the world is stacked against you, if that is your thing.  

The Sox clearly are not in the top tier of desirability, but after the 5-6 teams that are there, they're no less desirable than the rest of the bunch.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

In what world is Florida a better place to live in the summer than Chicago? My goodness.

• Like 1