A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather them trade for Pederson than sign Calhoun, if we're talking 1-2 year commitments. 

If that's the approach, Ryu, Wood, Encarnacion, trade for Pederson, I guess Harris would be ok as well. 

Splitting hairs at that point. Either way, they could still put together a competitive team for next season while not risking too much of their future if they limited their FA signings this winter to only 1-2 year commitments. Not saying I’m advocating for that approach but it certainly is one way to field a competitive team in 2020 while maintaining financial flexibility beyond 2020.

31 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Splitting hairs at that point. Either way, they could still put together a competitive team for next season while not risking too much of their future if they limited their FA signings this winter to only 1-2 year commitments. Not saying I’m advocating for that approach but it certainly is one way to field a competitive team in 2020 while maintaining financial flexibility beyond 2020.

Depending on his market, Keuchel could fall into the category of a 2 year deal. I've already made it known I'm not a fan, but he is basically a poor man's Buehrle at this point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also, let me add I don’t think anyone knows the true plans for the Sox outside of the organization. Vinnie Duber said the exact opposite of what Kiley said.  After last year, it sure seems the Sox have tried to keep leaks from happening.

Hard to leak what doesn’t exist.

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Depending on his market, Keuchel could fall into the category of a 2 year deal. I've already made it known I'm not a fan, but he is basically a rich man's Buehrle at this point. 

Keuchel was worse this year in the NL than Buehrle ever was in his career but for 2006. Keuchel is a poor man's mark buehrle.

Keuchel would have to pitch 14 more seasons at his exact production level to date to come within Buehrles career WAR.

You're right to be pessimistic about Keuchel. He's simply not good.

Mark Buehrle was awesome. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Keuchel was worse this year in the NL than Buehrle ever was in his career but for 2006. Keuchel is a poor man's mark buehrle.

Keuchel would have to pitch 14 more seasons at his exact production level to date to come within Buehrles career WAR.

You're right to be pessimistic about Keuchel. He's simply not good.

Mark Buehrle was awesome. 

I hate Keuchel as a pitcher and want absolutely nothing to do with him. I'm 100% with you on Keuchel being not good. 

You're absolutely right about Keuchel being worse than Buehrle. I didn't realize Keuchel's career WAR was only 18.4. That's.....not good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate Keuchel as a pitcher and want absolutely nothing to do with him. I'm 100% with you on Keuchel being not good. 

I have concerns about Keuchel on a multi year deal. He has been homer prone, which does not work in the Rate. As a #4/5 he could work, but expecting anything more is a mistake. Remains to be seen what his market is like. 

44 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This organization isn't dumb. They will bring some real talent in here. They don't want to see pitch forks everywhere. Soxfest would need to be canceled if they screw this up. 

This organization is perfectly capable of trotting out Odorizzi, Calhou/Puig, Encarnacion and middle reliever and saying "Look! The money was spent!". Resulting in us winning a handful more games in 2020. .Fans have every reason to be skeptical until proven otherwise. The Machado pursuit was a total disaster, but it could happen again.

Pains me to say this, but we are not a first class club, or even a second class club. Our MO has been sit back while the bog boys do there thing and wait for the scraps. 

Edited by steveno89

Just now, steveno89 said:

This organization is perfectly capable of trotting out Odorizzi, Calhou/Puig, Encarnacion and middle reliever and saying "Look! The money was spent!". Resulting in us winning a handful more games in 2020. .Fans have every reason to be skeptical until proven otherwise. The Machado pursuit was a total disaster, but it could happen again.

I thought Odorizzi was a real possibility for the Sox but I do not see them going after him now with the QO attached.  Possibly a moot point though, since I think he might accept the offer.

Just now, wegner said:

I thought Odorizzi was a real possibility for the Sox but I do not see them going after him now with the QO attached.  Possibly a moot point though, since I think he might accept the offer.

Replace Odorizzi with Keuchel and the rest of my post holds true

Just now, Hatchetman said:

we've been rolling out Dylan Covey and Ross Detwiler and you guys are complaining about Keuchel.

I am actually not complaining about him at all and would not be upset if the Sox went after him aggressively out of the gate.  He might rather sign early in the season to avoid a long wait again.  Although with no QO attached he should have more suitors.  I want another starting pitcher as well, but have no problem with Keuchel being added.

4 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

we've been rolling out Dylan Covey and Ross Detwiler and you guys are complaining about Keuchel.

If this offseason amounts to: Keuchel as the marquee signing, Encarnacion, Abreu, Calhoun/Puig and a pen arm I would be pretty damn upset, yes. 

That will not help us move all that much closer to contention. We need premier talent in this club, not just stopgaps on reasonable deals. 

7 minutes ago, Hatchetman said:

Our standards for this rebuild should be much higher than lets add a #4 starter, aging DH, stopgap RF and a reliever and expect to be relevant in 2020. We do not need to win the division next year, but we better make some damn noise and start turning the corner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I found a picture of @Chicago White Sox and @Look at Ray Ray Run

image.jpeg

But seriously people, let's just let the offseason play out, and we can b**** or be excited in February when Pitchers and Catchers are reporting. 

I'm being a bit of a Pessimistic Peter because I don't want to be disappointed yet again. Really, though, just let it play out. 

Then maybe stop coming here and speaking in absolutes you fucking Sith.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If this offseason amounts to: Keuchel as the marquee signing, Encarnacion, Abreu, Calhoun/Puig and a pen arm I would be pretty damn upset, yes. 

That will not help us move all that much closer to contention. We need premier talent in this club, not just stopgaps on reasonable deals. 

The club has at least two premier talents right now. They need to not be stars and scrubs.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Name. One. Example. 

Jesus christ.

Baseball doesnt have a cap. It will never be like basketball because teams will offer opt outs, extra years, higher guarantees. If they put a max contract cap in baseball, then yes jack other things will matter. Until then, they simply wont.

Awesome post...the basketball comparison is fucking ridiculous.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I don't really agree.  But continue to feel like the world is stacked against you, if that is your thing.  

The Sox clearly are not in the top tier of desirability, but after the 5-6 teams that are there, they're no less desirable than the rest of the bunch.  

Don't we all choose to live in different towns and States?  Chicago is a very desirable place to live and play for some people.  I wouldn't want to live in New York or Boston...we're all different.  Most players want to play where they make the most money and have a chance to start IMO.

25 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I fully expect this to happen. 

That's dreadful. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

MI think their internal budget is 350 million.

See, I can make random things up, state them as facts and be outlandishly optimistic too!

I think the number will be about 160M.  If the FO intends to compete...a top third payroll seems necessary.  They know this better than we do.