A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

29 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If this offseason amounts to: Keuchel as the marquee signing, Encarnacion, Abreu, Calhoun/Puig and a pen arm I would be pretty damn upset, yes. 

That will not help us move all that much closer to contention. We need premier talent in this club, not just stopgaps on reasonable deals. 

Would you be mad about Grandal (4/70) Abreu (1/17.8), Ryu (3/50), Smyly (1/7), and Dickerson (1/10)? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would you be mad about Grandal (4/70) Abreu (1/17.8), Ryu (3/50), Smyly (1/7), and Dickerson (1/10)? 

If I could either take that right now or let the offseason play out and hope for the best, I think I’m taking that. 

But I’m still hopeful for a bit better than that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thats light on pitching and Dickerson is a non-starter for me personally.

Ryu is too big of a health risk to give anything more than a 2 year deal imo. He's awesome when he's on the mound, he just isn't very often.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just to clarify, I don't think it's going to be hard for them to compete for FA because they're cheap or anything, I think it's going to be hard because there are going to be a lot of teams in the market this winter, unlike last winter. 

I hope they'll spend in the $ 160-175 range when they're trying to compete. I really do. Is it ok and allowed to think that Hahn and Kenny are clowns? 

Who are all these teams Jack?  Red Sox are looking to cut payroll.  Yankees and Astros are already against the cap.  The Cubs don’t seem eager to spend.  The Indians seem to be pretty strapped.  The Rays, A’s, & Pirates are never going to be big spenders.  The Rockies are looking to cut payroll.  The Tigers, Royals, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays, & Marlins, are all rebuilding.  That’s half the league right there with some limitations or no interest in spending.

Who is it you are scared of Jack?  The Dodgers?  The are probably the scariest “big spender” and have added as many seven figure contracts under Friedman as the White Sox have.  Other than them and the Nationals, it’s mostly teams like us but they have far less flexibility than we do.  We may ultimately fail in free agency, but it will because we make scared offers and not because there are too many teams in the mix.

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Thats light on pitching and Dickerson is a non-starter for me personally.

Ryu is too big of a health risk to give anything more than a 2 year deal imo. He's awesome when he's on the mound, he just isn't very often.

I personally think Ryu is a great fit. Ya, he’s an injury risk. That’s why he isn’t going to get a monster deal. He’s reallY fucking good when he pitches, and with Kopech and Rodon arriving at some point, and perhaps Dunning as well, it’s not the end of the world if he misses some starts later in the year. I would prefer Wheeler or the aces, but Ryu is a very nice fit. 

Dickerson does very little for me. But I’d prefer him to fitting a square peg in a round hole with long term commitments to Castellanos/Puig/Ozuna. As I’ve said, I do expect RF to be solved via trade anyway. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I personally think Ryu is a great fit. Ya, he’s an injury risk. That’s why he isn’t going to get a monster deal. He’s reallY fucking good when he pitches, and with Kopech and Rodon arriving at some point, and perhaps Dunning as well, it’s not the end of the world if he misses some starts later in the year. I would prefer Wheeler or the aces, but Ryu is a very nice fit. 

Dickerson does very little for me. But I’d prefer him to fitting a square peg in a round hole with long term commitments to Castellanos/Puig/Ozuna. As I’ve said, I do expect RF to be solved via trade anyway. 

I completely agree. The only thing I wouldn’t mind is Castellanos. This is what I posted in another thread about him...

I like the idea of Castellanos because we can sign him for 3 or 4 years, but he could still fit the one year stopgap idea for RF. Let him play RF next year, and then he can move to DH in 2021. This is assuming Vaughn is ready and Jose just signs a 1 year deal.

Then we could still shop for a RF next offseason with guys like Betts (long shot) or Pederson. Or we can hope one of our five OF prospects will be ready in 2021 or 2022. 

I’m liking the idea of Castellanos more and more now that JDM isn’t in the mix for DH over the next few years. 

11 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I fully expect this to happen. 

That's dreadful. 

Well, to be fair, the Sox are a dreadful team to be a fan of. That to me is the best case scenario. 

Encarncion to me is almost a given. We have very little competition on the market going for him... like I really can't even find a team at all. Mariners=voglebach, astros no, rangers no, astros no, yankees likely not, red sox obviously no, rays probably not, orioles nope, jays? maybe? Twins, nope, tigers, nope, royals, nope. indians - id guess not. 

Sox will pick him up for cheap. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are all these teams Jack?  Red Sox are looking to cut payroll.  Yankees and Astros are already against the cap.  The Cubs don’t seem eager to spend.  The Indians seem to be pretty strapped.  The Rays, A’s, & Pirates are never going to be big spenders.  The Rockies are looking to cut payroll.  The Tigers, Royals, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays, & Marlins, are all rebuilding.  That’s half the league right there with some limitations or no interest in spending.

Who is it you are scared of Jack?  The Dodgers?  The are probably the scariest “big spender” and have added as many seven figure contracts under Friedman as the White Sox have.  Other than them and the Nationals, it’s mostly teams like us but they have far less flexibility than we do.  We may ultimately fail in free agency, but it will because we make scared offers and not because there are too many teams in the mix.

Sure, if we can get Moncada, Giolito, Robert...to sign extensions into FA, like Kershaw...or the likes of Bellinger, Seager and Buehler are going to be aiming for.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I completely agree. The only thing I wouldn’t mind is Castellanos. This is what I posted in another thread about him...

I like the idea of Castellanos because we can sign him for 3 or 4 years, but he could still fit the one year stopgap idea for RF. Let him play RF next year, and then he can move to DH in 2021. This is assuming Vaughn is ready and Jose just signs a 1 year deal.

Then we could still shop for a RF next offseason with guys like Betts (long shot) or Pederson. Or we can hope one of our five OF prospects will be ready in 2021 or 2022. 

I’m liking the idea of Castellanos more and more now that JDM isn’t in the mix for DH over the next few years. 

I don’t want the worst defensive OF in the game, and Castellanos is pretty underwhelming as a DH if the plan is to move him there. If the rest of the moves are home runs or he gets really cheap, I’d be ok with Castellanos. But he’s just a really poor fit IMO. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t want the worst defensive OF in the game, and Castellanos is pretty underwhelming as a DH if the plan is to move him there. If the rest of the moves are home runs or he gets really cheap, I’d be ok with Castellanos. But he’s just a really poor fit IMO. 

I guess I just don’t see him as an underwhelming DH. But I definitely understand the hesitation. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't understand what is so hard to see here. What you posted is just a fact of the sports world. Maybe people just don't want to believe it because it sucks to realize tour team is second tier. I think this org can turn this all around but it starts right now, and making a legit effort to make this team better now. Once they do this, we will become a truly relevant team. We are definitely on our way. 

We are a second tier team, but what you are missing is Parkman said we are a bottom tier team...one of the least desirable in all of baseball.  And candidly speaking, that’s just fucking stupid.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

From Kiley McDaniel

The above quote is what I was talking about. It doesn't look like they're doing anything outside of 1-2 year deals, which makes one want to commit seppuku. 

They might get lucky and land Keuchel on a 2 year deal, but I wouldn't expect much more than players in the EE, Wood, Pineda, Roark tier. idk what Dickerson would get but he might be an option. 

Excited Ralph Wiggum GIF

OMG...you are absolutely insane.  Like only you could take a vague statement from Kiley McDaniel and draw some such ridiculous conclusions.  Take your own advice and please stay away from the Sox for a while.  I think it’s best for everyone.

46 minutes ago, wsd said:

Not saying they won't be in on Ryu but I will say that everyone should probably stop taking this kid's word as gospel at this point

Lol...I was going to say, when were the Sox interested in these guys in trade talks?  Hill pretty much joined the Dodgers when we were rebuilding.  This Kinander kid really seems full of shit to me.

Anyways, you hearing anything Dave?  I’ll take the smallest scrap of a rumor to wash the Parkman out of my mouth.

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

OMG...you are absolutely insane.  Like only you could take a vague statement from Kiley McDaniel and draw some such ridiculous conclusions.  Take your own advice and please stay away from the Sox for a while.  I think it’s best for everyone.

He specifically said that they were only interested in short term deals. Do you know how to read? Do you want me to bold it for you? 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...I was going to say, when were the Sox interested in these guys in trade talks?  Hill pretty much joined the Dodgers when we were rebuilding.  This Kinander kid really seems full of shit to me.

Anyways, you hearing anything Dave?  I’ll take the smallest scrap of a rumor to wash the Parkman out of my mouth.

Nobody wants to hear what you two do in your private time. Keep it to yourself. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He specifically said that they were only interested in short term deals. Do you know how to read? Do you want me to bold it for you? 

What Kiley McDaniel is hearing means jack shit and yet you took it as gospel.  That’s all you needed to jump off yet another cliff.  At what point will you realize that you are selectively looking for things that reinforce your negativity?

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Nobody wants to hear what you two do in your private time. Keep it to yourself. 

Lmao. We don't do anything but that's hilarious Ron. 

I don't know why CWS can't stand me. We ran into each other at the Kopech game and he anyone who knows me knows I want than for the Sox to win, sign decent FA and finish this thing off.

I just think Hahn and Kenny are buffoons. How come it's ok to rip GarPax to shreds but it's not ok to rip Hahn/KW?  They're just 4 tits from the same cow. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lmao. We don't do anything but that's hilarious Ron. 

I don't know why CWS can't stand me. We ran into each other at the Kopech game and he anyone who knows me knows I want than for the Sox to win, sign decent FA and finish this thing off.

You sure that wasn't you PM'ing him nonstop to meet up? ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What Kiley McDaniel is hearing means jack shit and yet you took it as gospel.  That’s all you needed to jump off yet another cliff.  At what point will you realize that you are selectively looking for things that reinforce your negativity?

I'm not looking for things that reinforce anything. I'm actually actively looking for winds of change. It's the only thing out there right now that is some sort of news about their plans. 

If I find better news I'll  post that too. 

I'm just reacting to what I saw. 

Edited by Jack Parkman