Sign in to follow this  
BamaDoc

A Realistic Offseason

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres report was somewhat of a rumor, whereas the Cole to Sox item was pure speculation that the author put at a 1.6% chance of happening.  That being said, your point on the media right now is fair.  Just will be painful if the Padres of all fucking teams land someone like Strasburg and we settle for the next tier of free agents.

That's for sure.  We have more payroll room than we know what to do with, and with the emergence of our core have no excuse not to go big with free agents.  We deserve nice things.  If we let teams like the Padres continue to scoop up elite talent while we cobble together scraps my rage will know no bounds. 

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's for sure.  We have more payroll room than we know what to do with, and with the emergence of our core have no excuse not to go big with free agents.  We deserve nice things.  If we let teams like the Padres continue to scoop up elite talent while we cobble together scraps my rage will know no bounds. 

Sox fans: Fuck you front office, FA sucked.

FO: Why are you mad? You all complained on Twitter about signing Abreu and Cole. We signed Abreu and Cole.

Sox fans: Yeah, Hamels. 

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I unno, smart money would be on them signing the run down pitchers with small markets they think are great value.

I don't, all this talk about guys actually has me thinking they're dabbling in the big boy market in silence this year. I actually take this as a good thing.

Bruce is also a dope so almost everything he says turns out wrong which is exciting as well.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

27 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Some bruce bruce. Take it with the standard caveat.

Based on past performance of this FO, those are probably the guys they have their sights set on.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Based on past performance of this FO, those are probably the guys they have their sights set on.

They better not pass over better righty hitters just to add a mediocre lefty to the lineup (ie:  Calhoun over Castellanos)

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

They better not pass over better righty hitters just to add a mediocre lefty to the lineup (ie:  Calhoun over Castellanos)

If I had to guess...Puig.  My preference would be Pederson.

Can we just have a seat at a very large table with Boras and all of his clients?..."Ok this is how much we have to spend fellas...who wants some?"..."By the way, have you met Southpaw?" :cool:

• Like 1

I think if the Sox go bargain hunting this offseason they're going to alienate their fanbase, and there will be a lot of JR/Dollar Bill comparisons. 

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think they can absorb another PR nightmare like last year.  And not signing any legitimate stars this year would be WORSE than whiffing on Machado.

I agree.  Not signing any stars would also mean going into the year with like a sub 75 million in payroll, which seems unlikely.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree.  Not signing any stars would also mean going into the year with like a sub 75 million in payroll, which seems unlikely.

Well if you talk to Bruce Levine and we add Keuchel, Hamels, and Calhoun we are cooking at around 110 million.

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Well if you talk to Bruce Levine and we add Keuchel, Hamels, and Calhoun we are cooking at around 110 million.

Won't be hamels. He wants to go to a win now team

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I don't want Hamels but we meet his criteria.

He wouldn’t sign unless the other 4-5 pieces are in place first...promises to try hard by the FO aren’t going to be enough assurance, and rightfully so.

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't want Hamels but we meet his criteria.

Sox aren't a win now team. This still need to get over 500. Sox should be better next year but still alot of question mark after the holes being filled. 

I think this offseason is going to go one of 2 ways: they're going to sign one of Cole/Strasburg and Grandal with piecemeal the remainder of the holes, Or they're going to bargain shop like the Twins did last year thinking it will work for them.

A bargain winter:

Keuchel, Wood for Rotation 

Dickerson/EE for DH

Trade for Mazara or Polanco for RF

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think this offseason is going to go one of 2 ways: they're going to sign one of Cole/Strasburg and Grandal with piecemeal the remainder of the holes, Or they're going to bargain shop like the Twins did last year thinking it will work for them.

A bargain winter:

Keuchel, Wood for Rotation 

Dickerson/EE for DH

Trade for Mazara or Polanco for RF

You’ve set your sights way too high.

Roark or Wood, not both

Puig or Gardner

EE

Will Harris or Betances (with a reclamation sign of Carl Edwards, Jr. or Chris Devenski)

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't, all this talk about guys actually has me thinking they're dabbling in the big boy market in silence this year. I actually take this as a good thing.

Bruce is also a dope so almost everything he says turns out wrong which is exciting as well.

I definitely think they’re going stealth mode after last offseason’s failures.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely think they’re going stealth mode after last offseason’s failures.

It feels to me like Stone, Merkin, and now Levine have been told to go out of their way to temper expectations with the fans. I’ve counted numerous times where they have either stated it’s unlikely we will sign one of the big boys (Cole) or they have listed some lower tier options.