Jump to content
BamaDoc

A Realistic Offseason

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

After last off season, it's hard to believe that they would be so foolish as to be saying such things, unless they were prepared to spend, really significantly. I'm encouraged.

You are that gullible? 

The White Sox sank last year. They've never had any significant free agent move like the ones we hope for. Their offseason last year was one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen from a franchise in baseball. 

They'll sign some people this year, it'll likely be something like Castellanos (Old and unbelievably bad at defense), Keuchel (not great and probably on downturn), and some middle pieces that will be overpaid for (i.e. nova, jay, alonso). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Talk doesn’t mean anything. Action does.

Exactly. Put your money where your mouth is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lillian said:

After last off season, it's hard to believe that they would be so foolish as to be saying such things, unless they were prepared to spend, really significantly. I'm encouraged.

I’m certain they plan to be aggressive and I’m optimistic that everyone after the big three should be attainable despite Jerry’s limited risk tolerance.  That being said, you just never with this guy and last offseason was an example of that.  They said they were serious and ultimately made a large but half-assed offer for Machado.  This year they simply need to get shit done...the time for excuses is over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You are that gullible? 

The White Sox sank last year. They've never had any significant free agent move like the ones we hope for. Their offseason last year was one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen from a franchise in baseball. 

They'll sign some people this year, it'll likely be something like Castellanos (Old and unbelievably bad at defense), Keuchel (not great and probably on downturn), and some middle pieces that will be overpaid for (i.e. nova, jay, alonso). 

 

Castellanos old?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Castellanos old?

Sorry, mistake, he's only 27, just figured because he's slow and terrible defense he's old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's take a stab:

Y. Grandal - White Sox, 4/68

N. Castellanos 4/58

J. Abreu - 2/28

RP W Harris 2/18 (or Will Smith for more)

 

SP - Damn, I really don't know. I REALLY don't want Keuchel but he's the most realistic. Ryu? Eh. Wish I could say Cole. 

 

All contracts from: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

 

 

 

 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  

The plan should be to sign Wheeler (or theoretically Cole/Strasburg) to a multi-year deal and then add another cheaper starter on a one year deal like Wood or Gonzalez.  That gives you an opening day rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Wood, & Lopez.  Kopech comes up after he recovers that lost year of service time and replaces the weak man in the rotation.  Rodon serves as a wild card this year and is used in the bullpen if necessary.  Come 2021 him, Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert compete for the 5th starter spot.  That makes Stiever very much expendable IMO and I think he goes in a trade for a RF this offseason.

 

And Rodon for 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And Rodon for 2021?

Rodon should compete with Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert for the 5th starter spot.  Honestly, if Lopez or Dunning steps up, we might be best off just using Rodon as a reliever in 2021.  He might be lethal in that role a la Andrew Miller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rodon should compete with Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert for the 5th starter spot.  Honestly, if Lopez or Dunning steps up, we might be best off just using Rodon as a reliever in 2021.  He might be lethal in that role a la Andrew Miller.

I can't imagine that Rodon would be very happy about that, heading into his free agent year. Not sure what recourse he would have, but he wouldn't be a happy camper.

Edited by Lillian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, MLBTR has him getting $6M and Fangraphs didn’t rank him amongst the top 50 free agents.  Gun to head, I’d put him at like $7M and that extra $8M is substantial enough for a decent back of the rotation starter or bullpen piece.  

At that price, maybe I AM on the Calhoun train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lillian said:

After last off season, it's hard to believe that they would be so foolish as to be saying such things, unless they were prepared to spend, really significantly. I'm encouraged.

Exactly my thinking Lillian. I see no reason why they would talk a big game and leave themselves open to the massive criticism and ridicule that would follow if they strikeout. They are going to spend big this offseason. It's their chance to be the winners in the city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Temper your expectations......This is more in line with what Bruuuuuce is saying

Don't read too much into a single tweet. The majority of quotes and tweets indicate they're going big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

 

Welp, I’m ready to be hurt again. 

All aboard the hope train toot toot

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Temper your expectations......This is more in line with what Bruuuuuce is saying

Lol...he legit says they’d like to add core guys in that very tweet.  It’s not even remotely realistic to expect long-term additions at every spot.  There will need be some placeholders and that’s a good thing unless you enjoyed watching the black holes sprinkled throughout our roster last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...he legit says they’d like to add core guys in that very tweet.  It’s not even remotely realistic to expect long-term additions at every spot.  There will need be some placeholders and that’s a good thing unless you enjoyed watching the black holes sprinkled throughout our roster last year.

I think the big difference between this year and last is that they’re actually interested in filling holes, whereas last year they just wanted their one guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think the big difference between this year and last is that they’re actually interested in filling holes, whereas last year they just wanted their one guy. 

Yup, that was pretty much the plan last year.  Now they will look to add impact players AND plus holes with stopgaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I can't imagine that Rodon would be very happy about that, heading into his free agent year. Not sure what recourse he would have, but he wouldn't be a happy camper.

He should have thought of that before he couldn't stay healthy enough to pitch, ever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I can't imagine that Rodon would be very happy about that, heading into his free agent year. Not sure what recourse he would have, but he wouldn't be a happy camper.

If Rodon becomes a reliever and is really good at it, he could make more money than he would as a mediocre starting pitcher. But I think he still has the stuff to be a starter, he just has to stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

👀👀👀 OH BOY

lol I remember you...You were the guy that kept telling us to “get ready” for the Machado signing last year! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×