Will Jose's number get retired?

ron883

Will Jose's number get retired?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jose's number get retired

• Yes
    • No

A poster that shall remain nameless tried telling me that Jose's number will be retired someday. I disagreed with that. As of now, will his number get retired? If not, what does he need for it to be retired?

I think he needs two more very productive seasons for it to happen. If he is the veteran leader on a championship squad it probably gets retired also.

It all depends. Right now, no. If we win an AL pennant or two or one WS and he's one of our better hitters on those teams, yes. If he has the hit the wall and has a significant age 33, 34 decline and blows, no he will have no chance IMO.

Pure odds would say no at this moment IMO.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

A poster that shall remain nameless tried telling me that Jose's number will be retired someday. I disagreed with that. As of now, will his number get retired? If not, what does he need for it to be retired?

I think he needs two more very productive seasons for it to happen. If he is the veteran leader on a championship squad it probably gets retired also.

Man this really bothered you, huh? Triggered to the point where this was actually thread-worthy haha

Edited by soxfan2014

I know his WAR and defense sucks, but if Jose can kind of take this year with his obsolete stats and make it status quo for a few more years I think he's got a good chance. 

With the lineup we could be building around him its feasible he could improve on this years numbers if he stays the same. His basic numbers could look beastly the next few years if he's driving in 120 with this "meh" lineup.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It doesn’t really matter anyway. No one will wear 79 outside of spring training whether it is retired or not. But as of now, it wouldn’t happen or 23 would be unavailable. 

I agree - as of now, it wouldn’t be retired.  But I was referring to Abreu if, in fact, he plays however many seasons he has left in a White Sox uniform.  

Because if he does remain a White Sox for the remainder of his career, and barring injury, he’ll end up #3 all time in home runs for the White Sox, #5 in RBIs, #5 in doubles, and top ten in hits and runs scored.  

Reinsdorf retired Baines’ number in 1989 for much less than that.