King Timmy Game Thread (9/29 at 2:10 CT)

The Sir

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I feel excited that the horrible baseball is OVAH! We are officially done with the rebuild and will now start trying to make the playoffs. 

I get that. But still. Its like a break in the routine

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not mad that young guys are stepping up big time. We can still get a really good player at 11. 

Hope so, and after today, I’m officially done rooting for losses. We need to max out the Ws next year, and stop making roster moves and lineup cards that are on the margins of stupidity.

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I feel excited that the horrible baseball is OVAH! We are officially done with the rebuild and will now start trying to make the playoffs. 

Rebuild isn't over at all, First they have to spend the money and they may decide it's better to spend it over the next 2 off seasons considering so much would have to go right in this off season to even think of making the playoffs. In my head you are looking at at least 5 name player signings to even imagine the playoffs next year and that's the minimal amount. Then they have to actually perform well and not be your useless Sox free agents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Rebuild isn't over at all, First they have to spend the money and they may decide it's better to spend it over the next 2 off seasons considering so much would have to go right in this off season to even think of making the playoffs. In my head you are looking at at least 5 name player signings to even imagine the playoffs next year and that's the minimal amount. Then they have to actually perform well and not be your useless Sox free agents.

I agree with this, although I don't see the team making five signings in this off season. The FO will do something, but I have the feeling fans will be somewhat disappointed. I think 2020 will be another developmental year, but hopefully with more wins. To even contend for the playoffs, so many things will have to go right. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Too many players and coaches are openly talking about making the playoffs next year. There will be signings and improvement. The losing part is over as we will not be in the running for top 7 picks. The rebuild is OVAH. Now we will be enhancing the roster. 

• Haha 1

I love King Timmy Anderson and am not bagging on him. Just making an attempt to bag on the advanced stat folks who probably don't care Jose Abreu led the AL in RBIs. Way to go Jose.

But in trying to say I don't care about advanced stats much, Marcus Semien  had 8.2 WAR this year; Timmy had 3.9 WAR. Would an Oakland fan be right in saying, "you keep your Tim Anderson; we want Marcus Semien whose WAR is so much greater than your Anderson."

I would say probably 10 out of 10 baseball fans would take Anderson over Semien. So how do you explain this WAR thing, folks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Too many players and coaches are openly talking about making the playoffs next year. There will be signings and improvement. The losing part is over as we will not be in the running for top 7 picks. The rebuild is OVAH. Now we will be enhancing the roster. 

Enhancing the roster ? Half the roster is crap. Of course players and coaches talk about playoffs . Do you expect anything else ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love King Timmy Anderson and am not bagging on him. Just making an attempt to bag on the advanced stat folks who probably don't care Jose Abreu led the AL in RBIs. Way to go Jose.

But in trying to say I don't care about advanced stats much, Marcus Semien  had 8.2 WAR this year; Timmy had 3.9 WAR. Would an Oakland fan be right in saying, "you keep your Tim Anderson; we want Marcus Semien whose WAR is so much greater than your Anderson."

I would say probably 10 out of 10 baseball fans would take Anderson over Semien. So how do you explain this WAR thing, folks?

You explain it by Semien was better overall. Tim's defense hurt his WAR as did his inability to walk. Semien was better in just about everything  except batting average. Try looking at stats instead of making general assumptions.

Despite Tim's batting average being higher by 50 points Semien OBP was better . Also Semien was on the field much more than Tim so he accumulated more WAR. For this year Semien was the more valuable player and was key in Oakland getting to the playoffs again despite the lowest payroll in baseball.

Tim is 3 years younger so perhaps looking ahead more people may prefer Anderson but not this year. The clear obvious better player this year was Semien.

Marcus Semien might even get a few MVP votes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
MVP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JoshPR said:

We ain't gonna tank forever guys. 12 games better than last. Lets be 18 19 better than this next year

17 games under .500 this season is a hell of an improvement over the 38 games under .500 last year.   Also, it sounds a lot better  when your win total is in the 70's and the losses are in the 80's; it sounds like you're getting close to .500.

26 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

17 games under .500 this season is a hell of an improvement over the 38 games under .500 last year.   Also, it sounds a lot better  when your win total is in the 70's and the losses are in the 80's; it sounds like you're getting close to .500.

Nine games under .500 with about 10 high quality new faces set to arrive next year.  We will be in the hunt.

• Haha 1