Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/teammates-prepare-life-without-betts-we-dont-think-theyre-going-be-able-afford-mookie

If the red sox are really going to wave the white flag on betts, they will likely trade him this offseason.

Betts has a year remaining. I assume he will try free agency.

And yet, and yet.

After trout and arenado signed extensions and the other extensions that followed, I have to wonder if the number hits the right point whether it should be assumed betts gets to FA.

And for me mookie is a guy you say how high for. But that's with payroll.

UInlike when we talked of trading for machado, next year could legitimately be a winning team with betts immediately.

How much is that cost of a year?

With the availability of second baseman - madrigal is definitely preferable. But Vaughn is also just a 1b, and the yankees got an .850 ops dh for basically nothing.

The elephant in the room of course is the white sox ownership. Hypothetically, i'd part with some pieces that we expect to be on a winning sox team for the year of betts + hope of signing him long term.

But he will break records on the deal or come close. He should not get a home town discount. 

And when that hangs over it...it would be impossible to judge if they suddenly traded for him. There would be too much uncertainty that they will have judged his market correctly and will inevitably stick to their number and be bewildered when he signs elsewhere.

Anyway, mookie betts is great.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think he is adamant on testing free agency. I also expect them to get a package that includes at least one Top 100 prospect.

I think you should expect him to hit free agency but also I would say my posture would definitely be "I'm adamant on hitting free agency" in the years leading up to free agency. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think you should expect him to hit free agency but also I would say my posture would definitely be "I'm adamant on hitting free agency" in the years leading up to free agency. 

Are you confident the Sox would dish out a contract similar to Trout's? It would take a huge offer like that.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, knightni said:

The price would be way too high, in my opinion.

Minor league development is the most sure way to have extended success.

Ok but we can't bank on that any more than we can signing top talent for market price.

No I would not trade for him. If the Red Sox can't get an extension inked with him then we can't either, and that's not an indictment of our front office. Whatever dollar amount we're willing to pay...Betts's side will know that if we're willing to pay it, there will likely be other teams willing to match it, and he wants to let the market play out. That is a respectable decision. If the White Sox put an offer on the table next March, and then they faced the prospect of losing him for nothing, they might up their bid under that pressure.

From the White Sox's side, we cannot afford to lose a top 5 draft pick in a trade for a guy with 1 year of control who intends to hit the free agent market. 

It just does not work.

• Like 2

I posted this in another thread, but I only trade for him if Boston allows us to negotiate an extension with him before pulling the trigger.  I don't think he is going to be crazy expensive trade wise since it's only 1 year but they are definitely going to want a piece that might be better spent elsewhere.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I posted this in another thread, but I only trade for him if Boston allows us to negotiate an extension with him before pulling the trigger.  I don't think he is going to be crazy expensive trade wise since it's only 1 year but they are definitely going to want a piece that might be better spent elsewhere.

I don't think Boston would want it known that they had a deal on the table to trade their MVP RF only to wind up with him coming back because they couldn't strike a deal. 

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I agree with you on the extension being mandatory but if you get the extension done, Boston will want a lot more.

Just now, BamaDoc said:

I agree with you on the extension being mandatory but if you get the extension done, Boston will want a lot more.

True.  But if for whatever hypothetical reason we somehow convince him to sign with us long term I'd be fine emptying the farm for Mookie knowing we have him for years.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think Boston would want it known that they had a deal on the table to trade their MVP RF only to wind up with him coming back because they couldn't strike a deal. 

Then we just don't trade for him.  We aren't in a position in 2020 to be trading the few assets we have away on 1 year deals.  I am only doing this if we can ink an extension before the trade which is probably close to a 0% chance.

Mookie is great and I would love to have him here, but the price is probably way to high for 1 year of great player in a window that still might not quite be open. If you want him pony up the dough next offseason. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I would not trade for him. If the Red Sox can't get an extension inked with him then we can't either, and that's not an indictment of our front office. Whatever dollar amount we're willing to pay...Betts's side will know that if we're willing to pay it, there will likely be other teams willing to match it, and he wants to let the market play out. That is a respectable decision. If the White Sox put an offer on the table next March, and then they faced the prospect of losing him for nothing, they might up their bid under that pressure.

From the White Sox's side, we cannot afford to lose a top 5 draft pick in a trade for a guy with 1 year of control who intends to hit the free agent market. 

It just does not work.

I don't think this is true. From Betts I'm sure one of the driving parts of this is also respect. 

Both machado and harper had numbers when they went to FA last year. Machado wanted to hit 300 mill. Harper wanted to beat Stanton. Those were driving aspects of the way their deals were structured just to beat it.

If the sox (which they wont) said to betts they were going to give him the largest contract ever handed out I don't think he hits free agency. And even if he did I don't think it would take long for him to come back. 

But they will not do that. I do think it would be worth it to trade and then lock him up long term to a very expensive deal.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Both machado and harper had numbers when they went to FA last year. Machado wanted to hit 300 mill. Harper wanted to beat Stanton. Those were driving aspects of the way their deals were structured just to beat it.

I still think, should there original teams have given them the contracts they wanted last year, they would have still dipped their toes in the water. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think this is true. From Betts I'm sure one of the driving parts of this is also respect. 

If the sox (which they wont) said to betts they were going to give him the largest contract ever handed out I don't think he hits free agency. And even if he did I don't think it would take long for him to come back. 

But they will not do that. I do think it would be worth it to trade and then lock him up long term to a very expensive deal.

So just to clarify, you are willing to go past 10/$430 for Betts? 

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I still think, should there original teams have given them the contracts they wanted last year, they would have still dipped their toes in the water. 

Yeah, I think the question for me there is had those teams still pursued in free agency (which I do not believe the nationals did in earnest) what would have happened if they kept those deals as a starting point. I think Harper would have been a national for instance.

Machado - I don't know. Orioles were a mess.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I think the question for me there is had those teams still pursued in free agency (which I do not believe the nationals did in earnest) what would have happened if they kept those deals as a starting point. I think Harper would have been a national for instance.

Machado - I don't know. Orioles were a mess.

Once Soto broke out, the Nationals genuinely were in a position where Harper wasn't necessary for them. Letting him go was the right move; their OF was fine without Harper and the money they didn't spend on Harper went to strengthen their pitching staff. They didn't pursue him because they literally shouldn't have pursued him.

Mookie Betts is a generational talent and he will no doubt sign any deal that is in the 400s. He'd frankly be stupid not to. There's no need to "test FA" when the team that has control over you blows you away, which we saw by and large last offseason.

If you intend to do this, and the asking price isn't completely insane, this is an absolute no brainer. If you can construct it more like Harpers to disperse the money over more years, even better. 

The question then becomes, if the constraint that the Sox would absolutely sign him to an extension and Boston's asking price isn't crazy were met, what then becomes the offer we would give up? It's mental masturbation, but it is fun to talk about and dream about. 

I'd like to avoid dealing SP prospects as we need as many of those as we can, so what package of position players get the deal done? 

Edited by South Sider