Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Would taking Price lower or raise the price on Betts, and would it be worth it?

Now that's an interesting idea. Why not use the financial flexibility to help acquire Betts, without having to lose Madrigal, or Vaughn. Chaim Bloom really needs to shed some payroll, and Price is a good place to start. My question is, could Price reasonably be expected to at least contribute to the starting rotation? Just to refresh everyone's memory, Price is owed :$32M annually, for the 3 remaining years of his contract.. 

Edited by Lillian

14 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Now that's an interesting idea. Why not use the financial flexibility to help acquire Betts, without having to lose Madrigal, or Vaughn. Chaim Bloom really needs to shed some payroll, and Price is a good place to start. My question is, could Price reasonably be expected to at least contribute to the starting rotation? Just to refresh everyone's memory, Price is owed :$32M annually, for the 3 remaining years of his contract.. 

A 4.28 era with 107 innings pitched.  Gives up more than 1 hit per inning.  96 million to have a one year rental.  No thanks.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

You would have to ask Boston permission to negotiate an extension before trading for him and be prepared to offfer him over 330 million dollars.  I don't touch it if it's just a 1 year deal.

When is the last time this has happened in MLB? Honest question. It’s been awhile. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

When is the last time this has happened in MLB? Honest question. It’s been awhile. 

RH literally said that teams don't really do that any more. 

The acquiring team doesn't want to be forced to give the player an insane contract to make sure he signs without testing the market, and the team sending the player out doesn't want the deal to fall apart if the guy can't be extended - Boston's fanbase knowing they got stuck with Betts because the White Sox couldn't extend him? Not happening.

Here's my crazy idea:

Contingent on a 72 hour negotiation window in which Betts must sign a long term extension.

White Sox get:

RF Mookie Betts

SP David Price

$30 million

Red Sox get:

SP Carlos Rodon

Any 4 prospects from the White Sox farm not named Luis Robert, Nick Madrigal, Andrew Vaughn, or Michael Kopech.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Here's my crazy idea:

Contingent on a 72 hour negotiation window in which Betts must sign a long term extension.

White Sox get:

RF Mookie Betts

SP David Price

$30 million

Red Sox get:

SP Carlos Rodon

Any 4 prospects from the White Sox farm not named Luis Robert, Nick Madrigal, Andrew Vaughn, or Michael Kopech.

Thoughts?

Depends on how much of a sure thing the Red Sox think Rodon will be in returning to form and staying there.

I’d be willing to include Madrigal if they included Beer.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

It's rare but it does happen.  They have to get under the tax allegedly and nobody is just going to help them.

I had the same question for both JDM and Betts. Rickboy is the king of kontracts. People are dreaming with Betts. Rule 1 with the FA clerics is not resigning with the team that brung you to the dance. 

I'd try to put an acceptable package together that didn't include our top 4-5 prospects then take the risk of resigning him. Even if he bolts after a year, he'll energize the team and have a lasting positive impact on the youngsters. My guess is if we can get him here, we'll find a way to keep him.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I'd try to put an acceptable package together that didn't include our top 4-5 prospects then take the risk of resigning him. Even if he bolts after a year, he'll energize the team and have a lasting positive impact on the youngsters. My guess is if we can get him here, we'll find a way to keep him.

It's not worth it if you don't get him long term. That's trading assets for nothing. No extension, no deal. He can be had for just money next year if Boston asks too much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GreenSox said:

He should cost about 3 times what Hahn paid for Samardzija.   If they make a trade like this, then I'll know for sure that Hahn's not serious about winning;

Betts is awesome, but I'm not sure I can see teams parting with significant assets for one season of control at $28 million. 

All depends on the significant assets. Personally, I would try to put an acceptable package together sans Madrigal, Kopech and Robert and try to resign him, ala Cards/Goldschmidt. No reason to believe he won't be happy here as long as he gets paid. To me, other than Wheeler, Betts would be the biggest needle mover towards competitiveness.