Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

14 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

This whole Semien and Samardzija backlash is such a joke.  NO ONE and I mean no one disliked that trade when it was made.  Samardzija was coming off productive years and we looked like we finally wanted to contend.  Semien was a UTL player at best.  We all agreed on that then.  It just so happens that Samardzija turned into a terrible pitcher and Semien (5 years later) became a star... Hindsight is nice... But not when you use it to act like we never should have made the deal, when in reality we all loved it.

I disliked that deal at the time, thought Semien would be a valuable player long term. Pretty sure I said as much at the time.

17 hours ago, mqr said:

Mookie Betts has won a world series and is generally beloved in Boston and still wants absolutely zero to do with an early extension. Let's get the idea that having him here for a year will make him more amicable out of our head. 

I agree. He has said numerous times he really likes Boston and Cora. But he wants to be "the FA" next year.  I think the package starts w Cease+ since they have young IB and 2B options. Boston always seems to need pitching because they  struggle to develop it. 

Just trying to stir up some discussion, but does the Grandal deal plus Abreu’s extension make a Vaughn for Mookie trade more likely?  Realistically, part of the allure of Grandal was you could DH him when he’s not catching to keep him fresh.  With Abreu around for the next three seasons and Vaughn a realistic option to be ready for OD 2021, things are going to get crowded quickly.  And that doesn’t even account for Collins or Sheets who could still be something.

I personally don’t like the idea of trading a top 25 prospect for a one year guy who seems determined to test free agency, but as we all know the Sox did explore something similar previously with Machado.  And if they were going to be bold two years ago when the rebuild had a ton of uncertainty, it’s hard to completely rule out them doing something this now when the core is finally take shape and close to being to ready to compete.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just trying to stir up some discussion, but does the Grandal deal plus Abreu’s extension make a Vaughn for Mookie trade more likely?  Realistically, part of the allure of Grandal was you could DH him when he’s not catching to keep him fresh.  With Abreu around for the next three seasons and Vaughn a realistic option to be ready for OD 2021, things are going to get crowded quickly.  And that doesn’t even account for Collins or Sheets who could still be something.

I personally don’t like the idea of trading a top 25 prospect for a one year guy who seems determined to test free agency, but as we all know the Sox did explore something similar previously with Machado.  And if they were going to be bold two years ago when the rebuild had a ton of uncertainty, it’s hard to completely rule out them doing something this now when the core is finally take shape and close to being to ready to compete.

Welcome to the dark side.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You don't trade a top 25 prospect for a 1 year rental.  You just don't.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You don't trade a top 25 prospect for a 1 year rental.  You just don't.

Maybe the Sox don't want to risk him being traded to somewhere he likes and open the possibility of an extension with said team next offseason. Basically it's possible they want to be that team to "woo" him. Right or not, the idea of dangling Vaughn for someone like Mookie or even a less RF with more control isn't out of the question right now IMO

6 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Maybe the Sox don't want to risk him being traded to somewhere he likes and open the possibility of an extension with said team next offseason. Basically it's possible they want to be that team to "woo" him. Right or not, the idea of dangling Vaughn for someone like Mookie or even a less RF with more control isn't out of the question right now IMO

If you are willing to trade Vaughn...trade him for a sure thing controllable player.  A one year rental would be GM malpractice.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

People focus on this as the Sox wooing Betts, and should also focus on Betts wooing Reinsdorf.

If acquires, Sox would already be committing to a near $30 mill contract and are just working out a raise. 

And we’ve seen Reinsdorf this week be willing to overpay to players he sees as part of the organization.

All in all, its all unlikely. But there isn’t an organization in baseball that could be better helped by adding Betts The next 5 years than the white Sox. 

Just now, poppysox said:

If you are willing to trade Vaughn...trade him for a sure thing controllable player.  A one year rental would be GM malpractice.

I normally would completely agree with this but if you can get a top 5 player in the sport with the intention of keeping him (which is really the only way it will fully make sense), then you definitely go for it by trading from an area that can moreso be filled through FA a bit easier.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

People focus on this as the Sox wooing Betts, and should also focus on Betts wooing Reinsdorf.

If acquires, Sox would already be committing to a near $30 mill contract and are just working out a raise. 

And we’ve seen Reinsdorf this week be willing to overpay to players he sees as part of the organization.

All in all, its all unlikely. But there isn’t an organization in baseball that could be better helped by adding Betts The next 5 years than the white Sox. 

It does make a ton of sense with the gaping hole the Sox have in RF. I know alot of people aren't open to trading from the pool for a 1 year rental but this move has to absolutely be something the Sox go all in on and sign Mookie longterm.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would be all in on Betts for 5 years.  It's the 1 year control that doesn't do it for me.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Boston will not want Vaughn. Their top two positional prospects are both IB, one in AAA and the other one in A. My guess if they trade him, will be for starting  pitching.   

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who would you trade then?

For Betts? Nobody that would get the job done. 

I'm ok with trading Vaughn or Madrigal but it has to be a player that has 4 years of control and a track record of success in his 2.5 years in the Majors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Boston will not want Vaughn. Their top two positional prospects are both IB, one in AAA and the other one in A. My guess if they trade him, will be for starting  pitching.   

I don't understand why any team, unless they are already stacked and pretty much a guaranteed 90 win team already, would trade for him and give up some of their best prospects.

If he's not willing to sign a long-term deal, there's no way a team like the White Sox, trying to make a move up the standings now, but still dependent on the young prospects, should trade 2 or 3 of these pieces for 1 year.

41 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

For Betts? Nobody that would get the job done. 

I'm ok with trading Vaughn or Madrigal but it has to be a player that has 4 years of control and a track record of success in his 2.5 years in the Majors. 

It's possible Betts produces more value next year than Madrigal will in his entire career.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's possible Betts produces more value next year than Madrigal will in his entire career.  

While true.....to me it makes no sense. The teams that have the most success are the ones that hoard top prospects. If they have them, they let them succeed or fail with their team. 

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nick would be the easy choice to part with for Betts. Vaughn has a legit bat at the very least but I'm sure the Sox overvalue Nicky's "grinder attitude and leadership"

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Possible but wildly unlikely. Would be such a dumb trade without an extension built in, which is never going to happen.

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Nick would be the easy choice to part with for Betts. Vaughn has a legit bat at the very least but I'm sure the Sox overvalue Nicky's "grinder attitude and leadership"

Then we have a hole at 2B for the next 7 seasons. Dumb dumb dumb.