Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

Moustakas would be fine for a couple seasons, but it’s dumb to even contemplate without another frontline starting pitcher.

Even then, you’re better off going for the 3-5 year window than putting all your eggs in one basket.   Unless we go back to 1996-97 and the try at ARod, the White Sox have have never been the team to set the market on a superstar.

There is definitely a package where I would say "fuck it" and would trade for Mookie.  I just cannot imagine it would it is something that another teams wouldn't easily beat.  Therefore it just seems like such a pipedream.  Steiver is probably the "sexiest" name I'd be willing to give up considering where the Sox are in this process and Mookie's contact status. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is definitely a package where I would say "fuck it" and would trade for Mookie.  I just cannot imagine it would it is something that another teams wouldn't easily beat.  Therefore it just seems like such a pipedream.  Steiver is probably the "sexiest" name I'd be willing to give up considering where the Sox are in this process and Mookie's contact status. 

Basically any prospect package you want outside the big 3....take them all, not much in terms of difference makers

It just isn't worth the risk. We aren't competing for a title next year most likely. We trade for him and he has the leverage. We gave up valuable prospects and don't want him as a just a rental. Mookie's agent knows this and asks for a 400m contract. 

Just wait until he is a free agent to bite. Sign a top pitcher this offseason, get the payroll to 120-130m. We'll be a competitive team that draws more fans. Attendance rises, revenue rises. The next off-season the White Sox drop the bomb on Mookie and get him for 36m~ AAV

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It just isn't worth the risk. We aren't competing for a title next year most likely. We trade for him and he has the leverage. We gave up valuable prospects and don't want him as a just a rental. Mookie's agent knows this and asks for a 400m contract. 

Just wait until he is a free agent to bite. Sign a top pitcher this offseason, get the payroll to 120-130m. We'll be a competitive team that draws more fans. Attendance rises, revenue rises. The next off-season the White Sox drop the bomb on Mookie and get him for 36m~ AAV

So you plan to get him in the offseason for 36 mill with the top offer but If we acquire him we wouldn’t be able to sign him because he would ask for more then go to FA and sign for less.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

So you plan to get him in the offseason for 36 mill with the top offer but If we acquire him we wouldn’t be able to sign him because he would ask for more then go to FA and sign for less.

I think it's silly to waste good prospects when it isn't guaranteed we sign him. Mookie gains all leverage after the trade and can force the Sox into an overpay. I guess I don't really care if he strong arms the Sox into giving 50m more. But no reason to give up top prospects when we have an equal chance at getting him in free agency. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

I think it's silly to waste good prospects when it isn't guaranteed we sign him. Mookie gains all leverage after the trade and can force the Sox into an overpay. I guess I don't really care if he strong arms the Sox into giving 50m more. But no reason to give up top prospects when we have an equal chance at getting him in free agency. 

I get that, I just think it’s strange if we think we’ll offer best offer next year to not want to expedite it and add another year to that window, as this would almost certainly add pressure to extensions.

I get that, I just think it’s strange if we think we’ll offer best offer next year to not want to expedite it and add another year to that window, as this would almost certainly add pressure to extensions.

Because we can have Mookie + some of our best prospects if we just wait. Just wondering, what type of prospect package do you expect it to take to nab Mookie?

Edited by ron883

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Basically any prospect package you want outside the big 3....take them all, not much in terms of difference makers

Sure, assuming you're not counting Kopech or really any difference makers on MLB roster.  I'd really prefer not to trade Adolfo at the moment, thought I am admittedly probably higher on him than most, but his potential excites me - he could still be a star in this game).  While I definitely would consider a deal that was headlined by Dunning or Walker, I'd also prefer to retain those guys if the return is a 1 year player. 

Just really don't think it makes a ton of sense.  No way at team closer to contention won't be willing to pay up handsomely.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Then we have a hole at 2B for the next 7 seasons. Dumb dumb dumb. 

2B would not be a Hole for 7 seasons with out NM. 2B would become a much easier stop gap spot to fill through FA or internally while having an extra year and pressure to re-sign Betts once in house.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Because we can have Mookie + some of our best prospects if we just wait. Just wondering, what type of prospect package do you expect it to take to nab Mookie?

He wants to trade Cease for him.  Has said it many times.  Its crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

2B would not be a Hole for 7 seasons with out NM. 2B would become a much easier stop gap spot to fill through FA or internally while having an extra year and pressure to re-sign Betts once in house.

Madrigal is literally the guy this org has lacked for decades.   He is a perfect fit for this team - plus defense, plus baserunning, plus bat, plus OBP, doesn't strike out.  And he's dirt cheap for like 5 seasons!  We cannot trade this kid for a 1 year rental!  Betts is not signing an extension! 

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don’t know. Nearly every article says that few teams will be capable of adding Betts at $28 and top prospects, which would seem to mean a package deal of a top, here-and- is prospect like cease, as well as one like Collins whom again can have current value, would be competitive and model a better version of Goldschmidt deal.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Madrigal is literally the guy this org has lacked for decades.   He is a perfect fit for this team - plus defense, plus baserunning, plus bat, plus OBP, doesn't strike out.  And he's dirt cheap for like 5 seasons!  We cannot trade this kid for a 1 year rental!  Betts is not signing an extension! 

...plus OBP?

...plus OBP?

Probably not the best way to phase it because obviously he doesn't take a ton of walks, but if he can translate his hit tool to the big leagues, he is still going to have a well above average OBP. The consistent bat to ball contact is something the Sox really need and have lacked for years.  Plenty of guys in this lineup that are going to K.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I still have worries about his lack of power, let’s see if the bat can translate to the majors without it. And I didn’t mean Betts would sign an extension, more that if Sox parted with Nicky for Betts they would definitely do it knowing that they will resign him in FA. I would like to see it but this is probably all moot anyway

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

I still have worries about his lack of power, let’s see if the bat can translate to the majors without it. And I didn’t mean Betts would sign an extension, more that if Sox parted with Nicky for Betts they would definitely do it knowing that they will resign him in FA. I would like to see it but this is probably all moot anyway

That just isn't a plausible scenario.  It is fantasy land.