Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

Players don’t disappear into the ether when they hit FA.

No shit. But the Sox have the same chance to sign Mookie a year from now regardless of what team he plays for in 2020.  Something you've absolutely refused to acknowledge.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No shit. But the Sox have the same chance to sign Mookie a year from now regardless of what team he plays for in 2020.  Something you've absolutely refused to acknowledge.  

You trade for Mookie Betts now to have Mookie Betts for 2020. You then sign him to have him longer. 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

You trade for Mookie Betts now to have Mookie Betts for 2020. You then sign him to have him longer. 

Thanks for explaining.  My take is that trading Cease, Madrigal or any significant piece for 1 year of Mookie Betts is fucking stupid.  The Sox would still be a longshot to win the division.  Its not worth it, and any package we can create that doesn't include a significant piece isn't going to get accept.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This topic is stupid. Nobody's giving anything of value for one year of Betts and the Sox aren't giving him a 350M contract next winter, as much as we'd all like them to. Betts stays in Boston for 2020 and signs elsewhere in 2021. 

A team better positioned for an extended playoff run will definitely make a run at him, but more likely at the trade deadline.

The new GM will have to see if they can compete in the first half...and weigh the possibility of extending him (for $325-375 million) going against every fiber of a former Tampa exec’s being.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let me be on the record saying I’d be very against trading Cease.  Not sure how people think we can replace him while also filling the existing holes in the rotation.  If you add Betts and then sign a Wheeler caliber pitcher, we’d likely be wiped out financially.

There are cheap depth pitchers and then Rodon actually becomes an asset as a fairly cheap, productive fifth starter during two (1.5) competitive years.

But if we are then at the margins of our finances, I’d say we actually have a very good team for 3-4 years, and one that you could truly make “go for it” additions of a single player.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks for explaining.  My take is that trading Cease, Madrigal or any significant piece for 1 year of Mookie Betts is fucking stupid.  The Sox would still be a longshot to win the division.  Its not worth it, and any package we can create that doesn't include a significant piece isn't going to get accept.  

Yes, great. 

If we're spending on Betts regardless, I'd rather not "go for it" this year by sending off Cease. I'm not convinced adding Betts to this team makes them a contender next year. Our success hinges on the development of our young, cheap pitching. The Sox can't afford to sign Betts and the pitching required to go for it all, if we trade Cease+

• Like 1

I would agree that the Red Sox will want Cease + for Betts. As I said previously, they won't want Vaughn based on their existing prospects nor Madrigal bases on the fact  they promoted last year's top prospect who plays 2nd. I say pass on Betts but maybe Vaughn or Madrigal for a stud AA/AAA OF prospect would be worth exploring.  That is assuming Hahn does not see what he wants in FA. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

There are so many meatball fans on Twitter who want to trade Madrigal for one year of Betts without him signing an extension lol. These people are absolutely clueless.

They’re the same people that b**** and moan about Tatis. And then when Madrigal or Cease become stars in Boston and Mookie signs somewhere after one year in Chicago, they’ll have a new negative bandwagon to jump on. 

The whole premise of trading for Mookie Betts is ridiculously dumb and short sighted. 

• Like 3

I’m not one of the Millennials, but would guess it means that Madrigal used his boyish good looks and earnest charisma to swoop in and steal your gf or wife away.

Although the addition of the literal man part sounds a bit aggressive/assertive.

So everyone will clap back and break the Internet like a recent Liz Hurley or Salma Hayek bikini post.  Before men had the VS Fashion Show.  Now, there is only this.  The last bastion of civilization.

Edited by caulfield12

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, asherwood12 said:

This makes me think the Joc to Sox deal could finally happen with Mookie locking up RF... Dodgers will want to move Joc.

I don't know, this is the dodgers dream being able to easily throw 30 players a day out.

• Like 1