Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

On 9/30/2019 at 12:10 PM, Balta1701 said:

If he's not going to take a discount to stay with the Dodgers, the Dodgers aren't going to overpay to keep him from hitting FA. They'll put a fair offer on the table and if he doesn't fit their needs, they'll walk away. 

It's not like they're sitting on a huge hole in their OF that they will be $400 million desperate to fill. 

27 minutes ago, asherwood12 said:

This makes me think the Joc to Sox deal could finally happen with Mookie locking up RF... Dodgers will want to move Joc.

Nothing changes for this year. Joc is a free agent after this year. Plus, Joc also plays 1B and can DH this season. It's a Dodgers wetdream being able to have this deep of a bench.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It's important for me to point out for my self-esteem that I was right and everyone was mean to me except @TomPickle 😘

(and obviously, I am still very excited for the white sox, and covid blah blah)

edit and @Harold's Leg Lift

Except there's a big difference in the Dodgers trading for a guy like Betts and the Sox trading for him and hoping to resign him coming out of a rebuild and needing every plus arm like Cease. The Dodgers have made the playoffs many years in a row and have seemingly unlimited resources. The Sox have never even been to the playoffs 2 years in a row and never have nor will they ever come close to salary tax limitations.

Now if you had argued it makes sense for the Dodgers to trade for him and try to resign him I would have agreed with you. but the Sox ? nahhhh ! So you were still wrong and that's not being mean its just we are not the Dodgers.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Except there's a big difference in the Dodgers trading for a guy like Betts and the Sox trading for him and hoping to resign him coming out of a rebuild and needing every plus arm like Cease. The Dodgers have made the playoffs many years in a row and have seemingly unlimited resources. The Sox have never even been to the playoffs 2 years in a row and never have nor will they ever come close to salary tax limitations.

Now if you had argued it makes sense for the Dodgers to trade for him and try to resign him I would have agreed with you. but the Sox ? nahhhh ! So you were still wrong and that's not being mean its just we are not the Dodgers.

Naw, sorry, I was told up and down that he is not signing before FA. And no, the sox would actually be fucking awesome with Mookie Betts for the next 13 years so this is also wrong. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Naw, sorry, I was told up and down that he is not signing before FA. And no, the sox would actually be fucking awesome with Mookie Betts for the next 13 years so this is also wrong. 

LOl naw sorry It would be Mookie Betts and a bunch of scrubs with the the way the Sox do business. I don't remember if I ever said he wouldn't sign before FA but he certainly would have if the Sox traded for him because there's no way the Sox would have signed him for what the Dodgers eventually do.Just because he resigned with the Dodgers only makes you partially right. But you actually thinking the Sox could pull it off was wrong. Winning is fucking awesome not depleting your whole roster just to have Mopkie Betts . Only a team like the Yankees or Dodgers could have accomplished this.

18 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I think we can all agree that bmags was right and he should feel good about being right. Congrats bmags

Yes we can all agree the Sox could have traded for him , without crippling their young pitching staff , still had a chance to compete this year ,signed him to a $350M contract for 10 years and approach the Dodgers and other teams at the height of the salary structure and kept on making the playoffs every year . Lead pipe cinch.

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes we can all agree the Sox could have traded for him , without crippling their young pitching staff , still had a chance to compete this year ,signed him to a $350M contract for 10 years and approach the Dodgers and other teams at the height of the salary structure and kept on making the playoffs every year . Lead pipe cinch.

i mean I wouldn't label it a lead pipe cinch as you did but yeah, that's the ticket, good to see you coming around

32 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

i mean I wouldn't label it a lead pipe cinch as you did but yeah, that's the ticket, good to see you coming around

If by "good to see me coming around" means I completely disagree that we can all agree bmags was right then yes I am coming around.But hey if bmags feels vindicated by the Dodgers signing him to a long term deal then I do agree he has every right to feel the way he feels after we were meanies to him.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Everyone knows ALonso and Jay were Manny acquisitions . It's also probably why the Sox supposedly had interest in Nelson Cruz, If anyone remembers Manny wrote an article in the Players Tribune on why he was playing for the DR in the WBC and it emphasized family. So it's perhaps the reason why the Sox did what they did regarding Machado.

It might also be the reason for Colome and Nova and Welington Castillo from earlier , all team mates on that 2017 team.

I'm as leery of the front office as you and there are some good value picks out there along with the headliner. Our best hope is they get 2 headliners 1 from the starting pitching group and 1 from positional players then mix and match to maximize power, OBP, left handedness , positional versatiilty, defense and the bullpen. If they keep these things in mind there are plenty of names that could be had on reasonable deals,

I do not expect failure but I also do not expect 100% hits and I also don't expect them to fill all the holes to make a playoff team but enough to put the Sox into a position for a big run in 2021. Betts can be discussed then if available.

Well as long as we are claiming to be right . This my post with the names now plugged into it to prove I was right.

Our best hope is they get 2 headliners 1 from the starting pitching group (Keuchel) and 1 from positional players (Grandal) then mix and match to maximize power, (Grandal, Encarncion, Mazara) OBP (Grandal,Encarnacion) left handedness (Grandal, Mazara, Gio Gonzalez, Keuchel)) , positional versatiilty, defense (Grandal) and the bullpen(Cishek). If they keep these things in mind there are plenty of names that could be had on reasonable deals.

Hahn basically followed my plan to a tee. And with Robert looking great and Cease looking pretty good and Lambert Dunning and Rodon all looking like they could contribute significantly it's looking even better than I had hoped for this year.Sucks to lose Mazara for however long it is though and Kopech.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside