Would you trade for Mookie Betts, and what would you trade

bmags

12 years really is a lot. He is great but he will turn 40 his final year. Ideally I wouldn't give out contracts that run past age 36 which of course is unrealistic for such a superstar who just can demand having a couple decline years paid. But if I was a Dodgers guy I would have preferred 2-3 years less, I.e only through age 37-38 so you only have 2-3 bad years and not 5+.

There is always a chance someone is ortiz or nelson cruz but that is rare especially for smaller players who rely on their athleticism and explosiveness as I dont think he will be able to pop 35 bombs at age 38 like cruz did.

Edited by Dominikk85

17 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

12 years really is a lot. He is great but he will turn 40 his final year. Ideally I wouldn't give out contracts that run past age 36 which of course is unrealistic for such a superstar who just can demand having a couple decline years paid. But if I was a Dodgers guy I would have preferred 2-3 years less, I.e only through age 37-38 so you only have 2-3 bad years and not 5+.

There is always a chance someone is ortiz or nelson cruz but that is rare especially for smaller players who rely on their athleticism and explosiveness as I dont think he will be able to pop 35 bombs at age 38 like cruz did.

12 years allows you to be more competitive around betts for the entirety of the contract, which you can also see in the deferred money, lower salary for 21/22.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

12 years allows you to be more competitive around betts for the entirety of the contract, which you can also see in the deferred money, lower salary for 21/22.

There is another way of looking at it. Forget the 12 years and he will be 40 at the end. The Dodgers probably said we will pay him $380Mil and hope that he gives us say 8 or 9  premium years.  The 12 years was probably a carrot for Betts.  If that happens, they could care less if the last 3 he is the 25th guy on the roster.  Trout and Betts will be a big chunk of the LA economy going forward.