Rendon thread

Buehrle>Wood

21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm actually starting to warm to the idea that the Sox will have a pretty good chance at signing him if he opts out.  

I think it hinges on if the Sox are targeting Grandal.  If no Grandal...JDM makes a ton of sense.

48 minutes ago, mqr said:

I honestly don't know where else he would go other than here or Texas

I've wondered how Cincinatti is going to play this offseason. Whether they splurge just trying to improve that weak offense in a year where their pitching looks solid.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've wondered how Cincinatti is going to play this offseason. Whether they splurge just trying to improve that weak offense in a year where their pitching looks solid.

I just cannot imagine a National League team having any interest in more than like a 1 year deal.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, bmags said:

Now do the yankees

Exactly the situation with them and the Twins, Cubs, etc. You don't win (many) championships without having the front end rotation studs. Yankees are running into it now as have the Cubs, Brewers, etc. Those teams all had the bats. For instance... take the Houston rotation and put it on:

Yankees, Boston, Minnesota, Oakland, Texas, Angels, Atlanta, Mets, Philly, Milwaukee, Cubs, Cards, Rockies .... all of a sudden they are all REAL threats to a world series. (You can probably dispute a few of those successfully). Some of those rotations were even decent. 

As long as we run out our rotation as is we will not be in the TRUE running for a world series title. So as expensive and risky as it is, you need to acquire guys like Cole rather than Rendon. Likewise, it's probably not smart to acquire those type of talents until you are truly ready to compete offensively for a WS because of injury issues.. My personal opinion is to wait on a guy like Cole (for a team with an owner like the Sox) and then acquire via trade and FA in 2021 when you have fully assessed your holes and opportunities on offense. If you were a team with JR not as your owner you absolutely sign Cole, but making a big mistake signing with JR is like a game of jenga, could unravel a franchise.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:45 PM, fathom said:

A Boston reporter said JDM was sore if he had to play consecutive games in the field.  

But Martinez signed w the expectation to play on occasion in the OF. He played about 25% of the games in either LF or RF.  I think he is considered a below average but not terrible RF.  Maybe that would describe Eloy as well?

" Convincing Martinez to sign on the dotted line came with the promise that he would occasionally see time in the outfield."

https://bosoxinjection.com/2019/03/10/red-sox-plan-use-j-d-martinez-right-field/

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Exactly the situation with them and the Twins, Cubs, etc. You don't win (many) championships without having the front end rotation studs. Yankees are running into it now as have the Cubs, Brewers, etc. Those teams all had the bats. For instance... take the Houston rotation and put it on:

Yankees, Boston, Minnesota, Oakland, Texas, Angels, Atlanta, Mets, Philly, Milwaukee, Cubs, Cards, Rockies .... all of a sudden they are all REAL threats to a world series. (You can probably dispute a few of those successfully). Some of those rotations were even decent. 

As long as we run out our rotation as is we will not be in the TRUE running for a world series title. So as expensive and risky as it is, you need to acquire guys like Cole rather than Rendon. Likewise, it's probably not smart to acquire those type of talents until you are truly ready to compete offensively for a WS because of injury issues.. My personal opinion is to wait on a guy like Cole (for a team with an owner like the Sox) and then acquire via trade and FA in 2021 when you have fully assessed your holes and opportunities on offense. If you were a team with JR not as your owner you absolutely sign Cole, but making a big mistake signing with JR is like a game of jenga, could unravel a franchise.

I agree that stud starting pitching wins playoff series including the WS.  It is possible that the FO thinks Gio, Kopech and Cease will have 2 of the 3 develop into TOR guys.  If that's the case...sign Wheeler or Bumgarner type.  If FO thinks we lack that #1 guy...sign Cole.  In the meantime...don't spend money on guys we don't need.  Use that Rendon money toward the best RF and DH you can find.

• Haha 1