Potential under the radar free agents

thxfrthmmrs

I've posted a few times that we cannot address all of our needs by just throwing big money at free agents. Aside from trading from the farm, one potential avenue is to find reclamation projects, bounce back candidates in FA for cheap and they could potentially play a big role for us. For the sake of this exercise, let's keep consider anyone less than $5M AAV as a under the radar signing. (Scooter Gennett seems like a popular choice, but I still see him getting a 2 year contract north of $15M).

With that said, who is our James McCann of the 2019 off season?

• Like 1

He’s been talked about a little bit, but Howie Kendrick wouldn’t be a bad name to look at for a relatively cheap short term deal. Can play  2B until Madrigal is up and then can shift to a utility role playing 2B/1B/LF. 

Wade Miley could also be a sneaky very solid signing to stabilize the rotation that won’t break the bank. 

Edit: just now reading the part about under $5M, that’s tough. Miley will for sure get more. Kendrick will probably be close, but might go a little over 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I would say Alex Wood if our analytical team was up to par. His spin rate numbers (in a small sample size) with his curve and change were down considerably compared to years past. 

Which site are you looking at? Statcast shows his change spin rate as high as ever and curve spin is slightly down. More than anything if our training staff is confident they could help him stay on the field, I wouldn’t mind a heavily incentive driven deal.

36 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

James Shields.

Any James Shields deal isn’t flying under the radar with Sox fans.

40 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He’s been talked about a little bit, but Howie Kendrick wouldn’t be a bad name to look at for a relatively cheap short term deal. Can play  2B until Madrigal is up and then can shift to a utility role playing 2B/1B/LF. 

Wade Miley could also be a sneaky very solid signing to stabilize the rotation that won’t break the bank. 

Edit: just now reading the part about under $5M, that’s tough. Miley will for sure get more. Kendrick will probably be close, but might go a little over 

I think there will be some competition for Kendrick this off-season. I like Matt Joyce as the OF version of Kendrick. He could play the 4th/5th OF and part time DH role. Lefty bat who gets on base at a high clip, he’d make a nice platoon bat off the bench.

I’ve been on the Alex Wood train for awhile. He’s left handed and coming off a bad year so the Sox could possibly get him on an inventive heavy 1 or 2 year deal. He could start the season in the rotation and then shift to the bullpen once Kopech and Rodon are ready, or maybe even stay in the rotation if he pitches well enough. He had a solid 2018 before getting hurt this year. He makes a lot of sense for this team as the second SP addition behind a guy like Wheeler.

35 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’ve been on the Alex Wood train for awhile. He’s left handed and coming off a bad year so the Sox could possibly get him on an inventive heavy 1 or 2 year deal. He could start the season in the rotation and then shift to the bullpen once Kopech and Rodon are ready, or maybe even stay in the rotation if he pitches well enough. He had a solid 2018 before getting hurt this year. He makes a lot of sense for this team as the second SP addition behind a guy like Wheeler.

Is he over his back issues?  From what I see he missed a month or two, came back in August for six starts and was shut down with a ERA over 6 in August.  How much you gamble?  If we had a healthy rotation, I see the gamble but I think you need guys you can count on out of the gates.

I will toss out for a injured guy, on incentive deal, depending on medicals Lonnie Chisenhall.  For a one year wonder vet, who supposedly made changes this year, Cameron Maybin.  Both left handed outfielders who I could see the gamble if we strike out on a few better options for RF.

The $5M or under part is the tricky part. We can literally look at 200 fringe/injured guys or AAAA types and pick 10 of them and still might not get the value. It's the hardest thing to do and the Sox got extremely lucky they found value in McCann and Marshall. Look at all the crap they tried and never panned out. You could probably find 15 guys over the last 3 years they took fliers on and missed. We never did find our Max Muncy. Palka was the closest we got and he got nowhere close to the positional versatility and OBP of Muncy. Another guy is how the Astro's fleeced the Dodgers for Yordan Alvarez or how a guy like Arestides Aquino was kept by the Reds. If I had to choose I'd still scour the young guys who can provide even wild unimaginable upside like somehow Marcus Semien improved his D and hitting to get 8 WAR. It's also one of the reasons the Sox shouldn't be trading their draft picks yet and putting more money in the international free agency and not trading that money away. I'm not really that confident that we have the personnel in player development/scouting or even the tools to identify the next Muncy , Semien , Alvarez or Aquino since some of that is just looking in the right place at the right time or just keeping a very long list of players to keep an eye on and pouncing on them if they become available even for a short period of time like Aquino.

We're going to sign Moose for 10 million a year over 2-3 years. He'll be DH, maybe get a few starts at 2B to rest Madrigal, a few starts at first to rest Abreu and a few starts in right.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Which site are you looking at? Statcast shows his change spin rate as high as ever and curve spin is slightly down. More than anything if our training staff is confident they could help him stay on the field, I wouldn’t mind a heavily incentive driven deal.

Any James Shields deal isn’t flying under the radar with Sox fans.

Savant/statcast. His curve is actually the high number not his change and his change is slightly down (they have them both flip flopped from '18-'19 so that's probably where the confusion is. 

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

We're going to sign Moose for 10 million a year over 2-3 years. He'll be DH, maybe get a few starts at 2B to rest Madrigal, a few starts at first to rest Abreu and a few starts in right.

Um Greg. Moose has never played RF in his whole MLB career. Try DH, 3rd, 2nd and 1st. And if we do sign him he'll have to basically split time at 1st and DH with    Abreu and  then get around to filling in for Moncada and Madrigal. Moose would be a full time player with the Sox otherwise he wouldn't sign with us.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The $5M or under part is the tricky part. We can literally look at 200 fringe/injured guys or AAAA types and pick 10 of them and still might not get the value. It's the hardest thing to do and the Sox got extremely lucky they found value in McCann and Marshall. Look at all the crap they tried and never panned out. You could probably find 15 guys over the last 3 years they took fliers on and missed. We never did find our Max Muncy. Palka was the closest we got and he got nowhere close to the positional versatility and OBP of Muncy. Another guy is how the Astro's fleeced the Dodgers for Yordan Alvarez or how a guy like Arestides Aquino was kept by the Reds. If I had to choose I'd still scour the young guys who can provide even wild unimaginable upside like somehow Marcus Semien improved his D and hitting to get 8 WAR. It's also one of the reasons the Sox shouldn't be trading their draft picks yet and putting more money in the international free agency and not trading that money away. I'm not really that confident that we have the personnel in player development/scouting or even the tools to identify the next Muncy , Semien , Alvarez or Aquino since some of that is just looking in the right place at the right time or just keeping a very long list of players to keep an eye on and pouncing on them if they become available even for a short period of time like Aquino.

Not to mention Turner and Chris Taylor... seems they pull a new guy out of the hat every season. 

If we want a cheap, LH utility guy with power from the Brewers I think Travis Shaw makes a ton of sense provided the trade price is very cheap...which I imagine it will be. He had 2 years of arb left and was at 4.5M this year, can’t see it going up much considering he was in the minors. Also can’t see the Brewers holding onto him. 

Not sure what happened to him this year, but 2017 and 2018 he had 30+ hrs with an .820+ OPS. Cant speak to the level of his D, but has played 2B, 3B and 1B recently. 

• Like 1

Derek Dietrich would be a nice fit if he gets non-tendered.  Possible, but probably unlikely.

Kyle Gibson turned into a gas can last 2 months of the season.  He could a decent choice a a cheap 1 year option for the back of the rotation to fill in for Kopech/Rodon.  

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If we want a cheap, LH utility guy with power from the Brewers I think Travis Shaw makes a ton of sense provided the trade price is very cheap...which I imagine it will be. He had 2 years of arb left and was at 4.5M this year, can’t see it going up much considering he was in the minors. Also can’t see the Brewers holding onto him. 

Not sure what happened to him this year, but 2017 and 2018 he had 30+ hrs with an .820+ OPS. Cant speak to the level of his D, but has played 2B, 3B and 1B recently. 

I like the Shaw idea. Meets our needs and even if he doesn't fully rebound, he'd be a nice LH bat off the bench.