Rangers might trade lefthanded hitter/outfielder

Whisox05

Just now, fathom said:

I’d rather aim for the moon and get Gallo

Even though he missed a portion of the season with an injury, the Rangers can value him like a 5-6 WAR player under control for 3 years based on him raking this year. Kopech, Cease, or Robert as the headliner, Madrigal or Vaughn as the 2nd piece, then a couple more guys to go along with them?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Even though he missed a portion of the season with an injury, the Rangers can value him like a 5-6 WAR player under control for 3 years based on him raking this year. Kopech, Cease, or Robert as the headliner, Madrigal or Vaughn as the 2nd piece, then a couple more guys to go along with them?

Fathom has long been on the trade Madrigal bandwagon and I don't believe he has 0 issue at all giving up Cease for the right package FYI.

I mean they can value him like a 5-6 WAR player, but he's only actually done it once and the team acquiring him is getting a player off of a wrist injury which typically saps production for a time.

But yes, I'd be open to trading madrigal for him. Rangers are said to be souring on athletic/risk profiles, sox have a match of these "polished" college players. Madrigal a good starting point.

11 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If the Rangers would trade Gallo for a package based around Cease, would you do it?

Yeah, probably, but I think if the Rangers are looking to compete in 2020 (and by all indications they are) they won't trade Gallo.

Calhoun would be a fascinating target, but i'm not sure why they'd move him.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I mean they can value him like a 5-6 WAR player, but he's only actually done it once and the team acquiring him is getting a player off of a wrist injury which typically saps production for a time.

But yes, I'd be open to trading madrigal for him. Rangers are said to be souring on athletic/risk profiles, sox have a match of these "polished" college players. Madrigal a good starting point.

Stop with the trying to improve one position by weakening another one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think Choo could be a very attainable (and cheap to acquire), albeit unsexy pickup that could help the team out a lot. He can play RF, bats LH, good OBP guy, only signed for 1 more season. Theoretically buys the OFers on the farm another year to develop/someone step up. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I think Choo could be a very attainable (and cheap to acquire), albeit unsexy pickup that could help the team out a lot. He can play RF, bats LH, good OBP guy, only signed for 1 more season. Theoretically buys the OFers on the farm another year to develop/someone step up. 

Isn’t he one of the worst defensive players in the majors?

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rangers wouldn't get that for Gallo.  That is at a minimum comparable to what the Sox got for Sale.  

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Isn’t he one of the worst defensive players in the majors?

His defensive #s don't look great, but with who we've been running out there the last few years, not sure how much worse he'd be out there than a Palka or Jon Jay. He'd probably be a cheap acquisition for a year and fill an OBP need. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rangers wouldn't get that for Gallo.  That is at a minimum comparable to what the Sox got for Sale.  

Then they shouldn't move him. No reason to think the Rangers are embarking on a full rebuild next year, have him under control for 3 years, historically they've been readily willing to spend money, brand new ballpark next year - they've got some trouble known as "The Astros" to worry about in their division, but no reason why they can't think they have a shot at the wild card soon if they make some intelligent moves. 

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

His defensive #s don't look great, but with who we've been running out there the last few years, not sure how much worse he'd be out there than a Palka or Jon Jay. He'd probably be a cheap acquisition for a year and fill an OBP need. 

FWIW, "Jon Jay will provide OBP and is an upgrade defensively" was a thing that was said repeatedly last offseason. I just shuddered at hearing it about someone else. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Then they shouldn't move him. No reason to think the Rangers are embarking on a full rebuild next year, have him under control for 3 years, historically they've been readily willing to spend money, brand new ballpark next year - they've got some trouble known as "The Astros" to worry about in their division, but no reason why they can't think they have a shot at the wild card soon if they make some intelligent moves. 

I don't disagree that they won't trade him.  But if they do, they aren't going to get comparable value to what the Sox got for Sale.  

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don't disagree that they won't trade him.  But if they do, they aren't going to get comparable value to what the Sox got for Sale.  

If people are going to suggest we acquire "guys that teams will only trade if we overpay", you can't be that surprised when I suggest it would require a deal that is an overpay.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2020 the Sox need a RF, DH, and Starting pitching.

2019 the Sox need a RF, DH and starting pitching. Jon Jay, Yonder Alonso, Manny Banuelos, Ervin Santana, and Ivan Nova were the answers. 

Good God if the Sox are still working the clearance bin.

It’s time to go for superstars. I cringe every time I read someone suggest Collins for full time DH.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It really is perplexing. The guy has posted an .OPS above .800 once, and that was in 2013 in 222 PA's. He seems incredibly average, especially entering his age 32 season as you brought up. 

The other Calhoun...

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Top $ for a career year.  

Pass.  Hard.

Sox have no business trading any pitching anyway.

• Thanks 2