White Sox part ways w/ Todd Steverson & Greg Sparks, name Frank Menechino as new Hitting Coach

Sleepy Harold

Meh I don’t really care either way because I think hitting/pitching coaches are extremely overrated in modern baseball, but I also don’t really understand the criticism either. A really bad roster resulted in a really bad offense...what was expected out of the hitting coach that you guys didn’t see?

I thought everyone was ecstatic about the progress from Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, McCann, etc.???

I guess they still need someone to fix Collins, because it’s hard to imagine doing much better with the Palka’s, Cordell’s, Tilson’s, Engel’s and Yolmer Sanchez’s of MLB.  Not to mention Jay, Alonso and Castillo.

I guess they’re going to somehow transform all those guys into high OBP, high walk profiles...will believe they can change those guys when I see it.  And they better not remake Moncada into the timid/passive 2018 version again.

• Thanks 1

Should have been done sooner. At least they are moving on . I hope Merkin is wrong and they go outside the org. 

What is interesting is how they made Steverson a guru and wanted to incorporate his philosophy at all levels. From that to the door isn't the Reinsdorf way. But historically,  hitting coach is the one position the White Sox will launch .

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Meh I don’t really care either way because I think hitting/pitching coaches are extremely overrated in modern baseball, but I also don’t really understand the criticism either. A really bad roster resulted in a really bad offense...what was expected out of the hitting coach that you guys didn’t see?

How about some semblance of a game-plan on a nightly basis?  And maybe just the slightest bit of plate discipline from our hitters (garbage or not).

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

They had one of the lowest walk rates and one of the highest k rates and were bottom 4 or 5 in HR.  That's an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

They had one of the lowest walk rates and one of the highest k rates and were bottom 4 or 5 in HR.  That's an issue.

What else needs to be said?  We need a hitting coach that promotes plate patience... and even drills it into our hitters’ heads.  The power will be there in this lineup next year.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do love that he wasn’t technically fired, bringing the tally of coaching and management positions who were fired after a lost decade to 0.

Waiting until ineffective employees’ contracts expire is embarrassing but Reinsdorf doesn’t like paying people to not work.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What else needs to be said?  We need a hitting coach that promotes plate patience... and even drills it into our hitters’ heads.  The power will be there in this lineup next year.

Yeah I don't understand what is always lost on this orginization.  Teams that win in todays game are OBP and power at the plate.  You can strike out a ton as long as you are still getting on and sending balls out.

This is one of the most frustrating things about this FO, they are not the smartest guys in the room yet they keep pushing their broken/dated ideas.  You don't even need to be smart, just copy what the Stros, Dodgers, Rays, A's are doing. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How about some semblance of a game-plan on a nightly basis?  And maybe just the slightest bit of plate discipline from our hitters (garbage or not).

It probably doesn't help when Abreu goes into a prolonged slump, and finally talks to his old Cuban coach,  and starts raking.

The trend seems to be younger, more analytical. I hope that is the way to go. Home Runs and lower k rates win . Everything but hitting a homer is harder to do offensively in MLB anymore with how pitchers are used. You need to get someone on base and hit one in the seats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reinsdorf has paid millions upon millions to Bulls coaches he fired, so not sure what you’re talking about here.

He doesn’t like to do it and it hasn’t happened very often with Sox management that I can remember.

As far as the Bulls go, even the guys he fires are probably still around a year too long.  See Fred Hoiberg.

I guess the bigger indictment is that both of his teams make terrible coaching selections.