White Sox part ways w/ Todd Steverson & Greg Sparks, name Frank Menechino as new Hitting Coach

Sleepy Harold

Isn't it time we turn to Kevin Seitzer as hitting coach? I wish we'd hire the best manager possible first of all. The Sox need a great manager, folks. The team doesn't spend a lot of $$. I wish they'd spend on a genius manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

To be fair if there was someone out there that could lower everyone's k rate, add power and 30 or 40 points to their OBP, they would be worth more than Mike Trout. But it has seemed obvious for a while, the current crew wasn't going to get the most out of them.

Yeah, I'm much more concerned that they find players who aren't useless. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To be fair if there was someone out there that could lower everyone's k rate, add power and 30 or 40 points to their OBP, they would be worth more than Mike Trout. But it has seemed obvious for a while, the current crew wasn't going to get the most out of them.

I don’t think K is a huge issue as long as they’re getting on base. I also think the K rate should come down a bit once they learn to command the strike zone better and stop chasing so many bad pitches out of the zone.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It probably doesn't help when Abreu goes into a prolonged slump, and finally talks to his old Cuban coach,  and starts raking.

The trend seems to be younger, more analytical. I hope that is the way to go. Home Runs and lower k rates win . Everything but hitting a homer is harder to do offensively in MLB anymore with how pitchers are used. You need to get someone on base and hit one in the seats.

Agreed...Ricky even said his own players were voicing Todd out.  That to me was the death blow and a sign changes would be coming.

This is like cleaning your house and neglecting to cleanup the pile of puke that greets you from the front door entrance.  Great, you cleaned the counters and swept the kitchen, now how about you address the real reason your house smells like vomit?

Rickie and Cooper will coach here as long as they want.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed...Ricky even said his own players were voicing Todd out.  That to me was the death blow and a sign changes would be coming.

Well I don't think any of the hitters went to their HS coach to fix them like a pitcher did.  Why again is Cooper still here.

14 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don’t think K is a huge issue as long as they’re getting on base. I also think the K rate should come down a bit once they learn to command the strike zone better and stop chasing so many bad pitches out of the zone.

3 of the last 4 WS champs were top 4 or 5 in k rate. But HR are important too. Go to the MLB team stats. Sort HR, and compare to who made the playoffs.  Very similar. Sox have a lot of work to do on both.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is like cleaning your house and neglecting to cleanup the pile of puke that greets you from the front door entrance.  Great, you cleaned the counters and swept the kitchen, now how about you address the real reason your house smells like vomit?

Rickie and Cooper will coach here as long as they want.

It sure seems as if Coop needs a change of scenery at least. And my stance on manager is why not get the best when they are available LIKE NOW? Coop doesn't have a lot going for him. It's not as if all our pitchers stay healthy because of him. In fact, we've had a ton of injuries. He probably deserves one more year to see if he can make Lopez as consistent as Gio has become. And can he do good work with Kopech, Cease and even Nova who was maddeningly inconsistent?

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Should have been done sooner. At least they are moving on . I hope Merkin is wrong and they go outside the org. 

What is interesting is how they made Steverson a guru and wanted to incorporate his philosophy at all levels. From that to the door isn't the Reinsdorf way. But historically,  hitting coach is the one position the White Sox will launch .

Steverson came from outside the organization; that's the one "mistake" that they'll probably make sure that they don't make twice. 

On a macro level, the White Sox hitting was wanting.  But some individual players improved.  Adam Engel improved a lot.  I'm just not sure how much they can really expect out of Yolmer, Leury, et al, regardless of coach.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He doesn’t like to do it and it hasn’t happened very often with Sox management that I can remember.

As far as the Bulls go, even the guys he fires are probably still around a year too long.  See Fred Hoiberg.

I guess the bigger indictment is that both of his teams make terrible coaching selections.

The Bulls have actually hired some good coaches that they somehow ran out of town ... Phil Jackson, Scott Skiles, Tom Thibodeau.

The White Sox ran a Hall of Fame manager out of town.  The rest of their managers have been pretty shabby.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They had one of the lowest walk rates and one of the highest k rates and were bottom 4 or 5 in HR.  That's an issue.

Idk, I guess I’m just not shocked that a team that was unarguably 1 of the least talented teams in the league going into the season ended up as a bottom 5 offense.

And then we could go into the fact that our head coach is openly against using analytics...but maybe Steverson was as well, I have no idea about that. Either way it’s not a big deal to me that he was fired, but I just find it odd you are confused why the lineup performed so poorly. I could have broken the news to you that we were going to suck at all those stats before the season even started. 

Yolmer lead the team with 44 walks. The Sox only had 7 guys with more than 19. Walks aren’t everything, but that seems to be an indication especially when you are way up there striking out, and near the bottom slugging. They, as a team, didn’t pick any lane.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Idk, I guess I’m just not shocked that a team that was unarguably 1 of the least talented teams in the league going into the season ended up as a bottom 5 offense.

And then we could go into the fact that our head coach is openly against using analytics...but maybe Steverson was as well, I have no idea about that. Either way it’s not a big deal to me that he was fired, but I just find it odd you are confused why the lineup performed so poorly. I could have broken the news to you that we were going to suck at all those stats before the season even started. 

You are correct, but there wasn’t a sign they were going to make it better. Moncada and TA hit. How sustainable their over .400 BABIPs are is a question, but everyone else was very unselect I’ve, low OBP. A few hit homers, and most struck out, but moving forward, it certainly has look for a couple of years like these 2 weren’t going to move the needle. And hitting coaches getting changed is the new rage. Steverson was the second longest tenured hitting coach in the majors.