White Sox part ways w/ Todd Steverson & Greg Sparks, name Frank Menechino as new Hitting Coach

Sleepy Harold

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Adam Engel improved a lot after going down to AAA and working with Frank Menechino. Every player that we talked to at Charlotte or that went through there raved about Menechino. He knows how to optimize swings and he preaches plate discipline. He was in Miami with Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich as well. I'd be totally fine if Menechino is the guy but I bet they employ two hitting coaches next year. 

Stanton credited Menechino with being his guru that propelled him into the hitter he became.  Menechino seems to be able to fix both mechanics and mindset on a high level.  Steverson seemed to be good with the mindset aspect of hitting but may not have been a diagnostician of swings.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, pcq said:

The guys we gave up for Shark was not a strong move. He was very ordinary and trading for Peavy was as bad or worse. Not as bad as what Dombro signed Sale for. Sale will have medical issues for however long he lasts. 

The Samardzija move was bad no matter what Samardzija did because he was going to become a free agent. It made it a very low upside move for the Sox and while Phegley/Bassitt were not high upside players, Semien was a relatively high upside one. Worth noting, however, that there's a good chance that Semien would have been cast off by the A's if he hadn't crossed paths with Ron Washington. He played some shockingly bad defense at shortstop in his first years with the A's (35 errors in one season!). To be honest, I was surprised with how underwhelming Semien's bat was until this year, but now that he's playing some very strong D and has finally found the kind of stroke he had as a minor leaguer he's looking really good.

I have a hard time looking back on the Peavy move as some terrible thing. He was making a lot of money and got hurt right away. But we gave up nothing. Clayton Richard had one decent year that seems largely predicated on luck and playing in the best pitchers' park around. There was real upside on the Sox side of the deal and there was very little upside on the Padres side. Sox had very bad luck with Peavy getting hurt in an unprecedented way right after he was acquired and he still ended up providing some decent value.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:08 PM, greg775 said:

Isn't it time we turn to Kevin Seitzer as hitting coach? I wish we'd hire the best manager possible first of all. The Sox need a great manager, folks. The team doesn't spend a lot of $$. I wish they'd spend on a genius manager.

Such as?

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They're "geniuses" huh?

Compared to Ricky?  Yes.

One could easily make the argument that the Sox currently have the worst manager and third base coach in baseball.  They also have an outdated pitching coach who tries to get flamethrowers to throw softer and never seems to know when to tell his manager to pull starters from games.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Compared to Ricky?  Yes.

One could easily make the argument that the Sox currently have the worst manager and third base coach in baseball.  They also have an outdated pitching coach who tries to get flamethrowers to throw softer and never seems to know when to tell his manager to pull starters from games.

Compared to Ricky there are a lot of geniuses. That doesn't make Maddon or Girardi geniuses

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Compared to Ricky there are a lot of geniuses. That doesn't make Maddon or Girardi geniuses

I am not sure we as fans can really tell how good a manager is. It seems many organizations do not give the manager control over his assistants. Many FO also use the analytics to dictate player usage and in-game defenses.  20 years ago managers actually managed the team and the games .  Now many are following the decisions made by the FO nerds and their main job is to keep the players content. 

36 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I am not sure we as fans can really tell how good a manager is. It seems many organizations do not give the manager control over his assistants. Many FO also use the analytics to dictate player usage and in-game defenses.  20 years ago managers actually managed the team and the games .  Now many are following the decisions made by the FO nerds and their main job is to keep the players content. 

Ricky would like you to know, in his professional opinion as a highly paid expert manager and as a total professional, that anyone who thinks that is a good setup should "F*** off".

The Sox need a brand new mentality at the plate which will probably mean a new hitting coach. Wait I read this wrong, they have parted ways with Steverson already, this is a good first move, I wish Steverson well. This team needs to be able to draw walks. Their strikeout to walk ratio is very bad, and the good teams in the MLB are just the opposite. Almost every Sox hitter strikes out 5 times to 1 walk. The best K to W was Ryan Goins with 44 Ks to 17 BB.

Edited by Chisox378

On 10/4/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jake said:

The Samardzija move was bad no matter what Samardzija did because he was going to become a free agent. It made it a very low upside move for the Sox and while Phegley/Bassitt were not high upside players, Semien was a relatively high upside one. Worth noting, however, that there's a good chance that Semien would have been cast off by the A's if he hadn't crossed paths with Ron Washington. He played some shockingly bad defense at shortstop in his first years with the A's (35 errors in one season!). To be honest, I was surprised with how underwhelming Semien's bat was until this year, but now that he's playing some very strong D and has finally found the kind of stroke he had as a minor leaguer he's looking really good.

I have a hard time looking back on the Peavy move as some terrible thing. He was making a lot of money and got hurt right away. But we gave up nothing. Clayton Richard had one decent year that seems largely predicated on luck and playing in the best pitchers' park around. There was real upside on the Sox side of the deal and there was very little upside on the Padres side. Sox had very bad luck with Peavy getting hurt in an unprecedented way right after he was acquired and he still ended up providing some decent value.

Peavey was ALREADY INJURED when the Sox made the trade. That’s why padres took the Sox offer at the deadline, because Williams offered the exact package as he did in May. 

In retrospect he was decent when when he was healthy. And he also foolishly took a smaller below rate deal from the Sox, which ultimately allowed the Sox to not only get out from under the contract in the 2013 dumpster fire, but also get avi Garcia in the process. (To be fair, he ended up being on two WS winning clubs while under that deal). 

1 hour ago, ewokpelts said:

Peavey was ALREADY INJURED when the Sox made the trade. That’s why padres took the Sox offer at the deadline, because Williams offered the exact package as he did in May. 

In retrospect he was decent when when he was healthy. And he also foolishly took a smaller below rate deal from the Sox, which ultimately allowed the Sox to not only get out from under the contract in the 2013 dumpster fire, but also get avi Garcia in the process. (To be fair, he ended up being on two WS winning clubs while under that deal). 

$14.5 million wasn’t really a below market rate at that point...