Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SoxAce

AL Wildcard Game: Rays vs A's

Recommended Posts

Ex Cleveland Indian Yandy Diaz has 2 solo homeruns. Rays up 4-0 right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Avi Garcia 2 run homer too by the way. ;)

Good for Avi. Just what I was hoping he would do.

It was a BOMB !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Does anyone think the Sox could have helped Semien develop into a 7.5 WAR player?

Good question. They had him long enough to make him a better fielder yet it took individual attention from Ron Washington to get there. You can never say how much coaching helps along with maturity/desire . After all it took him until he was 29 to get that kind of WAR in one season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good question. They had him long enough to make him a better fielder yet it took individual attention from Ron Washington to get there. You can never say how much coaching helps along with maturity/desire . After all it took him until he was 29 to get that kind of WAR in one season.

I listened to an interview with Susan Slusser (A's beat writer) and she talked about the A's building Semien's defensive skills from the bottom up. They retaught him how to play the position. It was a pretty brutal indictment of the Sox player development staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Benetti is crushing it on the statcast broadcast. I feel very lucky to have him broadcasting Sox games & hopefully he doesn't get scooed up by ESPN or TBS as their full-time national guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its astounding how bad Jessica Mendoza is. Thank god theres a second broadcast with Bennetti. Those words I'd never thought I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Its astounding how bad Jessica Mendoza is. Thank god theres a second broadcast with Bennetti. Those words I'd never thought I'd say.

Lol like A Rod is any better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Lol like A Rod is any better...

Hes great with Fox, so yes I would say he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Benetti is crushing it on the statcast broadcast. I feel very lucky to have him broadcasting Sox games & hopefully he doesn't get scooed up by ESPN or TBS as their full-time national guy.

I think Benetti has great potential and has come a long way already. He just grates on me with the cute stuff sometimes. The "one question" needs to go. But he does come across as likable and is a good descriptive announcer.

As far as the Rays fan bases goes: It may shock some people but not everybody loves baseball. And that stadium doesn't even look like a baseball stadium.

I saw one funny thing when I went a Sox playoff game in Tampa in '08. In between innings, they had a comedian doing a little bit on the jumbotron. He said he had been a Rays fan for a long time. Since June in fact. No, he then said, since July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I listened to an interview with Susan Slusser (A's beat writer) and she talked about the A's building Semien's defensive skills from the bottom up. They retaught him how to play the position. It was a pretty brutal indictment of the Sox player development staff.

One of the things about the Semien trade is that the quotes by the A's people have always been shots at the White Sox's development staff that are not meant to be shots at them - just matter of fact statements supporting their player. In 2015, Washington had a quote somewhere saying that Semien had promise but he'd never done basic fielding drills at shortstop so he had to start from scratch. He said that not to take shots at the White Sox, but to support his guy when he was having a huge problem with making errors. But, that was describing a guy who came up through each level at our system and, although the org pigeonholed him as a utility player, he played SS more than any other position. How on Earth does a guy come up through a team's entire system, playing 100+ games as a starting shortstop, without doing basic fielding drills as a shortstop?

I'm not sure how it works with the guys today, that could easily have been part of the Ventura "take it easy don't work to hard don't practice it'll be fine" mentality and it may have somewhat gone away today. At least I hope so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hes great with Fox, so yes I would say he is.

It's really all subjective, I don't have a problem with her.  You did the right thing, go to a different broadcast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×