Will the Sox be able to retain J Ben?

ron883

I saw somebody bring this up earlier, and it is something I have always wondered. Benetti gets gigs from other networks all the time. He calls multiple sports. He is talented, has the voice, and has a great story. This is a guy every station will want. 

Will the Sox be able to retain him? Maybe the Reindorf's can sign him to a big time deal (lol) and retain him as the White Sox and Bulls play by play announcer 🤞🤞

27 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I saw somebody bring this up earlier, and it is something I have always wondered. Benetti gets gigs from other networks all the time. He calls multiple sports. He is talented, has the voice, and has a great story. This is a guy every station will want. 

Will the Sox be able to retain him? Maybe the Reindorf's can sign him to a big time deal (lol) and retain him as the White Sox and Bulls play by play announcer 🤞🤞

Well he's also employed by ESPN so that's why he does a bunch of college hoops and football, but he's currently living his dream job of broadcasting White Sox baseball. I think it's his job for a long while. 

• Like 3

He'd be an idiot to give up this gig. Baseball tends to keep its announcers in one town for a while. Bennetti probably has that job for 20-40 years if he wants to keep it and he can continue to do ESPN in winter and parts of the fall. He'd be a dummy to leave. Plus the Sox gig probably pays 250,000 or more I'd think. How can you give up that kind of security?

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

Did you see the Hawk special last season? Jason dropped a couple of f-bombs. Really family friendly. It's like Abreu with his chew. What a terrible example. Hit the road, JBen.

He isn't ever going to leave until he has to. He can still do the Home run derby etc. There is no college football or basketball in the summer. He's living the dream. Good for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

Where exactly do you think hes going? A local team is the top gig for play by play guys. Hes already at the top of that mountain. ESPN doesnt even have their own pbp guys. Theyre all studio guys  or freelance (like Benneti is). Unless hes getting a studio show somewhere (highly doubtful), hes not going anywhere.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Honestly, I do not think that he is going anywhere.  The job seems to be his as long as he wants it.

An interesting question is who will be his long term partner in the booth when Stone retires?

It will depend on who wants the job. How many different fill-in guys have we seen for Stone already? Any of them could take it, but honestly...if AJ was serious about wanting to go into broadcasting....

20 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't think the national gigs pay as well as the local gigs for guys like him.

Singleton left but there are numerous like Charlie Steiner and the guys in Baltimore and SF that were ESPN guys that left for local gigs that still do national stuff periodically like John Rooney and Benetti.

Singleton took a tv analyst role when he left the Sox.  He’s all over the ocho’s baseball broadacasts. Doing occasional radio games is part of that. 

Jason is a part time play by play guy. For guys like him, a local gig is the dream. It pays more in the long term.  Dave wills LOVED doing pre and post for the Sox, but he left for a play by play gig. He said in an old WSI interview (before he left for Tampa), that was always the goal. Play by play. If the Sox gig opened, he would have loved it, but at the time Rooney was going nowhere. 

Jason is going nowhere. If anything, you may see a part time broadcast crew(which is not unusual now) fill in the gaps if espn has him do more baseball

17 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

He is becoming the best announcer in baseball. I know some people here disagree with that but if you go over to /r/baseball and mention him you will have tons of people from other teams comment about how good he is. 

I like Jason, but even his haters would have to admit there is some horrible announcing around the league. Seattle comes to mind. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It will depend on who wants the job. How many different fill-in guys have we seen for Stone already? Any of them could take it, but honestly...if AJ was serious about wanting to go into broadcasting....

He has a young family and he doesn’t “need” the paycheck.  The fox gigs fit him nicely. 

Maybe in 5-10 years, when his kids are older, you see him here. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would love to have AJ in the booth...that would be fun!!

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Did you see the Hawk special last season? Jason dropped a couple of f-bombs. Really family friendly. It's like Abreu with his chew. What a terrible example. Hit the road, JBen.

He isn't ever going to leave until he has to. He can still do the Home run derby etc. There is no college football or basketball in the summer. He's living the dream. Good for him.

You're putting swearing on the same level as dipping? Please. That doesn't even warrant an argument. You're losing it DA. 

2 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

I like Jason, but even his haters would have to admit there is some horrible announcing around the league. Seattle comes to mind. 

What?  Seattle has some of the best in the business.  Dave Sims is a bit over the top but has a classic play by play cadence.  Blowers is solid as the sunshine blowing ex player that will occasionally make a biting critique (similar to Stone).  Aaron Goldsmidt, who rotates with Sims is solid and many would say he's their version of Benetti.  And Rick Rizzs is a worthy successor to David Niahaus.  

Hell, Seattle might have one of the best radio and TV crews in the league.