Will the Sox be able to retain J Ben?

ron883

Jason has a good voice and that is about all. His sense of humor has cured me of comedy forever. I grew a little weary of the home-town bragger Hawk who was a thousand times more interesting, personable and engaging than Jason. Not that I even dislike Jason. I was raised on Ernie Harwell so I find BS offensive.  Ernie's only BS: And that foul ball by the dugout  was caught by a young man from Gary.

20 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

I like Jason, but even his haters would have to admit there is some horrible announcing around the league. Seattle comes to mind. 

I mean, only a few short years ago we had the worst announcer in baseball full time.  Hawk after about 2007 was a trash.

But to answer the original question, I don't think Jason's going anywhere for a long time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pcq said:

Jason has a good voice and that is about all. His sense of humor has cured me of comedy forever. I grew a little weary of the home-town bragger Hawk who was a thousand times more interesting, personable and engaging than Jason. Not that I even dislike Jason. I was raised on Ernie Harwell so I find BS offensive.  Ernie's only BS: And that foul ball by the dugout  was caught by a young man from Gary.

I can appreciate that announcing a meaningless game that has little action is not easy...but Jason's comedy routine is not funny.  Later in the season as some of the young guys played some interesting ball...he improved imo.  I often listen to the opponents announcers and truthfully...not many are any better.  Jason and Stone should stick to baseball and leave the comedy to the professionals.

17 hours ago, pcq said:

Hawk was a train wreck at the end. The guy would go entire innings saying like 2 sentences when it was his inning. When the Sox were bad he was unbearable. Jason is light years better than Hawk, it's not even close.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hawk was a train wreck at the end. The guy would go entire innings saying like 2 sentences when it was his inning. When the Sox were bad he was unbearable. Jason is light years better than Hawk, it's not even close.

You are so right. Hawk was a train wreck during his last years. And he whined about umpires way too much. Jason is good, but I hope he grows with experience. He still has some rough edges.

On 10/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, Balta1701 said:

It will depend on who wants the job. How many different fill-in guys have we seen for Stone already? Any of them could take it, but honestly...if AJ was serious about wanting to go into broadcasting....

I'm already starting the petition for Bill Walton. We're going to hit all of our balls over the moon and through the stratosphere.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

On 10/4/2019 at 6:31 AM, Eloy Jiménez said:

I mean, only a few short years ago we had the worst announcer in baseball full time.  Hawk after about 2007 was a trash.

But to answer the original question, I don't think Jason's going anywhere for a long time.

hawk was nowhere near the cream of the crap.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:36 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

What?  Seattle has some of the best in the business.  Dave Sims is a bit over the top but has a classic play by play cadence.  Blowers is solid as the sunshine blowing ex player that will occasionally make a biting critique (similar to Stone).  Aaron Goldsmidt, who rotates with Sims is solid and many would say he's their version of Benetti.  And Rick Rizzs is a worthy successor to David Niahaus.  

Hell, Seattle might have one of the best radio and TV crews in the league.

it may have gotten better as the one guy died. i listened once years ago  and almost chopped my fingers off to dull the pain of listening.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, pcq said:

This is an opinion not shared by anyone who knows the business.  Benetti is lauded as one of the best, smartest play callers in the business right now.