Predict the 1st Free Agent Signed

wegner

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the White Sox are going to dramatically overpay him. 2/$42 or 3/$60.

22 hours ago, flavum said:

That’s what I was thinking...2/40, with an option. Or just a flat 2 yr deal, with every intention of signing him until he has a bad year.

If that is the case might as well just just do the qualifying offer. No need to give him 2 years at that price. Take it one year at a time since you have that option.

He made $16M last year . Hard to imagine them lowering their offer . I'll predict the qualifying offer,

No idea who Sox might sign 1st. Unless  it's Cole people are going to be upset whoever it is.

I'd say Brett Gardner but maybe he will give the Yankees a shot to get him back so I'll go with Brock Holt

7 hours ago, Good Guys said:

I don't understand all the love on this board for Scooter Gennet.  He's had 3 good seasons.  He will turn 30 next May.  We haven't had a great track record with players from Cincinnati.  I don't think Great American is all that different from hitting at Coors Field.  I understand buying low on a guy but I don't think he's going to give the White Sox a discount with Madrigal behind him and expected up in 2020.

Gennett had a terrible year. He cannot command any decent salary at this point but his upside is probably the best on the market if he can return from injury to his 2017/2018 production which he didn't accomplish with SF. If you are going to be looking to sign maybe 5+ Free Agents then probably one should be a value play, If Madrigal struggles enough to be sent down  Gennett offers the possibility of All Star level production if he can regain his mojo from 2018.

It's not like his latest impactful season was that long ago. And he'll probably take the first decent offer so he isn't one of those guys waiting for a Minor league offer. He could be one of those guys that takes $5M a year for just a year and an option or a small base salary with incentives.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If that is the case might as well just just do the qualifying offer. No need to give him 2 years at that price. Take it one year at a time since you have that option.

He made $16M last year . Hard to imagine them lowering their offer . I'll predict the qualifying offer,

No idea who Sox might sign 1st. Unless  it's Cole people are going to be upset whoever it is.

I'd say Brett Gardner but maybe he will give the Yankees a shot to get him back so I'll go with Brock Holt

This would not be true if we signed Grandal first.

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This would not be true if we signed Grandal first.

Some people would rather have JDM than Grandal and think McCann and Collins are good enough and that a catcher should be farther down the list of needs. I have read those things many time over the last 10 threads discussing the future.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Some people would rather have JDM than Grandal and think McCann and Collins are good enough and that a catcher should be farther down the list of needs. I have read those things many time over the last 10 threads discussing the future.

I'd rather have a pitcher than any of those guys, but as long as we aren't trading one of the tiny selection of valuable players we have to make a move, I'm not going to be that outraged by any signing this year that fills some hole. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd rather have a pitcher than any of those guys, but as long as we aren't trading one of the tiny selection of valuable players we have to make a move, I'm not going to be that outraged by any signing this year that fills some hole. 

Well hopefully we're going to get pitchers and hitters and yes quality is good . But somehow I can't imagine every single person pleased with any signing the Sox make.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well hopefully we're going to get pitchers and hitters and yes quality is good . But somehow I can't imagine every single person pleased with any signing the Sox make.

I might not be pleased with a move, but this year I shouldn't have to be upset (as stated in the original post), as long as we're not trading away people. Last year there was still reason to be upset about some of those signings - why are they wasting money on a 70 win team when their president of baseball operations is simultaneously screaming at the fans "We'll never be able to extend our next core if we spend money!" This year...they shouldn't be a 70 win team, they should be actively putting a decent roster on the field. It may not win the central, every signing may prove to be as bad as "an average Rick Hahn signing", but we won't know that until the season gets going.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

With all the talk about Mookie next year I forgot that George Springer is a fa too. Yes please White Sox.

I think many forgot about him. I know I did also and I can't remember his name being brought up at all in the RF options thread. Among the right handers it was always Ozuna, Puig, and Castellanos. I wonder what he gets . 6Y/175M ?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I might not be pleased with a move, but this year I shouldn't have to be upset (as stated in the original post), as long as we're not trading away people. Last year there was still reason to be upset about some of those signings - why are they wasting money on a 70 win team when their president of baseball operations is simultaneously screaming at the fans "We'll never be able to extend our next core if we spend money!" This year...they shouldn't be a 70 win team, they should be actively putting a decent roster on the field. It may not win the central, every signing may prove to be as bad as "an average Rick Hahn signing", but we won't know that until the season gets going.

Ok upset, disappointed, not what they wanted just to clarify my meaning but getting Grandal would be a big step in the right direction so ,yea, maybe no one is upset.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think many forgot about him. I know I did also and I can't remember his name being brought up at all in the RF options thread. Among the right handers it was always Ozuna, Puig, and Castellanos. I wonder what he gets . 6Y/175M ?

Hes not a free agent until next year. 

He'll be 31 so that might not be too far off. I like him more than machado and harper from 31-35.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

On 10/3/2019 at 1:37 PM, champagne030 said:

Sorry, but late to the party.  Where is the support that the Sox spent the above?  Maybe it's true, but is that because they didn't spend in the draft, scouting, managers and data analysis?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I won't go as far as to call him cheap but he is fiscally responsible to the ownership group and he is the biggest part of that group. I have no doubt he is very loyal and generous to his employees and loves his charities.

All that being said he picks and chooses the part of the baseball operations that he will spend the most on and that has been payroll. The parts of the organization that he wasn't spending spending enough on were the ones you mentioned and international free agency and the scouting , and development processes needed to develop all the young talent whether drafted talent or IFA 16 yr old talent. And you can still see that the Sox are leery of that very young talent when they trade away Nate Jones and $1M their pool money to the Rangers who needed it to sign a 16 yr old :

"Texas was short on bonus pool cash which was preventing them from signing star Dominican OF Bayron Lora whom they agreed a deal with earlier in the month.

Lora was the 3rd ranked international free agent by MLB.com in this past J-2 signing period. The 16-year old outfielder is noted for his power from the right side of the plate and would instantly become one of the better prospects in the Rangers system. However, Texas had a finite amount of international slot money and after signing other amateur free agents including SS Maximo Acosta, Texas was going to have to make a trade to acquire more pool money. https://nolanwritin.com/2019/07/31/texas-rangers-nate-jones-international-money-white-sox/

"In return the Rangers parted way with a couple of minor league pitchers in Joe Jarneski and Ray Castro. Jarneski was a 12th round draft pick of the Rangers back in 2017 and currently is working as a reliever at the Rookie-Ball level. In 10 appearances, the 19-year old had posted a 1.62 ERA and 1.14 WHIP. Castro was signed as an international free agent back in 2016 and was currently with the Rangers Dominican Summer League affiliate. The 22-year old made 9 appearances, 7 of which were starts and posted a 2.02 ERA in 35.2 innings. "

The Sox seem to still prefer older guys like the ones they got from TX. They also traded away pool money to acquire Yeyson Yrizarri, Ryan Burr, Thyago Vieira and Caleb Frare. Also their big signing this year was Yolbert Sanchez who will be 23 this spring in March and just starting off in the states probably at Kannapolis .

All of these things limit your ability to hit on the 16 yr olds who develop into 20-21 yr old superstars like Tatis, Jr., Acuna and Soto or others who turn into very solid big league players such as the 3 16yr olds the Twins got with the international picks in 2009 . Kepler, Polanco ,and Sano. Here's a great article on the scouts and development people and patience it took to get them to where they are now.

http://www.startribune.com/international-signings-in-2009-prompted-twins-rise-into-a-contender/560076992/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I wonder how much of a hit Julio Urias value has taken a hit due to injuries and being the the bullpen... I wonder if we could grab him for a Dunning + Rutherford/Walker + B-/C prospect.

Not nearly enough to get him. He had a good year in the bullpen/firearm/spot starter role. Dodgers wanted to limit his innings this year since he was coming off a major injury, and he’s expected to be reinserted into the rotation next season. His value is still high. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Not nearly enough to get him. He had a good year in the bullpen/firearm/spot starter role. Dodgers wanted to limit his innings this year since he was coming off a major injury, and he’s expected to be reinserted into the rotation next season. His value is still high. 

Is he expected to return to a SP role with the Dodgers?  I honestly have no idea.. My dynasty fantasy team would also like to know LOL

Scott Merkin had a piece where he floated some names.

Hitters

JD Martinez/Castellano tthen it was Corey Dickerson, Kole Calhoun, Grandal and Smoak

For pitchers,

He doesnt expect us to sign Cole.  He has Wheeler, Alex Wood, Cole Hammels and Ordorizzi for starters and Will Smith, Will Harris and Colin McHugh or Daniel Hudson.

Edited by southsideirish71

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Wheeler is my hope.  Don't let him get away while we get strung out on the top guys.  If we end up with Cole and Wheeler...lucky us.  If we end up with Wood and Nova because we waited to long...not so good.

Yet Wacha and Wood seems more likely, going by our track record on pitcher spending.

Wish they would go after one war horse like Odorizzi or even Gibson (back end innings filler like Nova) who’s at least familiar with the division and has a more proven track record.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I won't go as far as to call him cheap but he is fiscally responsible to the ownership group and he is the biggest part of that group. I have no doubt he is very loyal and generous to his employees and loves his charities.

All that being said he picks and chooses the part of the baseball operations that he will spend the most on and that has been payroll. The parts of the organization that he wasn't spending spending enough on were the ones you mentioned and international free agency and the scouting , and development processes needed to develop all the young talent whether drafted talent or IFA 16 yr old talent. And you can still see that the Sox are leery of that very young talent when they trade away Nate Jones and $1M their pool money to the Rangers who needed it to sign a 16 yr old :

"Texas was short on bonus pool cash which was preventing them from signing star Dominican OF Bayron Lora whom they agreed a deal with earlier in the month.

Lora was the 3rd ranked international free agent by MLB.com in this past J-2 signing period. The 16-year old outfielder is noted for his power from the right side of the plate and would instantly become one of the better prospects in the Rangers system. However, Texas had a finite amount of international slot money and after signing other amateur free agents including SS Maximo Acosta, Texas was going to have to make a trade to acquire more pool money. https://nolanwritin.com/2019/07/31/texas-rangers-nate-jones-international-money-white-sox/

"In return the Rangers parted way with a couple of minor league pitchers in Joe Jarneski and Ray Castro. Jarneski was a 12th round draft pick of the Rangers back in 2017 and currently is working as a reliever at the Rookie-Ball level. In 10 appearances, the 19-year old had posted a 1.62 ERA and 1.14 WHIP. Castro was signed as an international free agent back in 2016 and was currently with the Rangers Dominican Summer League affiliate. The 22-year old made 9 appearances, 7 of which were starts and posted a 2.02 ERA in 35.2 innings. "

The Sox seem to still prefer older guys like the ones they got from TX. They also traded away pool money to acquire Yeyson Yrizarri, Ryan Burr, Thyago Vieira and Caleb Frare. Also their big signing this year was Yolbert Sanchez who will be 23 this spring in March and just starting off in the states probably at Kannapolis .

All of these things limit your ability to hit on the 16 yr olds who develop into 20-21 yr old superstars like Tatis, Jr., Acuna and Robles or others who turn into very solid big league players such as the 3 16yr olds the Twins got with the international picks in 2009 . Kepler, Polanco ,and Sano. Here's a great article on the scouts and development people and patience it took to get them to where they are now.

http://www.startribune.com/international-signings-in-2009-prompted-twins-rise-into-a-contender/560076992/

Or just watch “Ballplayer:  Pelotero,” great documentary about the Dominican market for 14-16 year olds, changing ages, corruption, stars Sano and the former White Sox pitcher Ynoa.