Predict the 1st Free Agent Signed

wegner

Yah, Abreu is probably the right guess.  

What do people think he is going to get?  Really really hope we don't see anything over 2/$30M with a $12-15M team option for 2022.  Jose did well for himself the 2nd half of the season.  I was hoping for a 2/$18M type deal back in the early summer.  

1 minute ago, flavum said:

You don’t think he’ll make at least the qualifying offer amount? 

In that regard, any chance they just make him the qualifying offer and he accepts it?  Vaughan might be ready in 2021.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, Abreu is probably the right guess.  

What do people think he is going to get?  Really really hope we don't see anything over 2/$30M with a $12-15M team option for 2022.  Jose did well for himself the 2nd half of the season.  I was hoping for a 2/$18M type deal back in the early summer.  

I think the White Sox are going to dramatically overpay him. 2/$42 or 3/$60.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

IMO we offer him the QO and let him walk if he declines. Get that sweet draft pick compensation (if any team signs him before the deadline)

I mean, they may give him the QO, but I doubt he walks.  The Sox and Jose have made that pretty clear.  (Not sure why I am responding to a Ron Abreu comment)

• Like 1

Is signing Abreu to a two or three year deal at those numbers really "dramatically overpaying" him?  Now a five year deal would seem to fit that more.

I'm going to go with Daniel Hudson or another RH RP as the first free agent signed.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castillo started 9 games in September, at least half of which were at DH.  

10 games, which is only down slightly considering they had an all-star catcher and their heir apparent catcher up for september call-ups (and is an actual platoon). 

Just don't act shocked when they bring him back.

They wont wait out the offseason hoping for one of the bigger prizes.  They will offer some top end FA money loaded with incentives, then will quickly move on.  My guess our offseason will be quantity over quality.   

Brett Gardner 2 year deal

Jose Abreu 4 year deal

and a middle of the pack pitcher or two.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

10 games, which is only down slightly considering they had an all-star catcher and their heir apparent catcher up for september call-ups (and is an actual platoon). 

It was 9 games, not 10.  Just looked again.  4 of those 9 games he was the DH.  He played 20% of the teams games at catcher in September.  He was swinging the bat pretty decent at the end of the year - his OPS was .900 in September (SSS).  

I highly doubt Castillo is brought back.  But we'll see.  Sox fans are conditioned to expect the worst.  

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wont be.  I think all of those who have these delusions that JR is going to open up the pocket books to win are going to be disappointed.  It will be a bunch of role players surrounding our existing core.   

• Haha 1