Predict the 1st Free Agent Signed

wegner

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

They wont wait out the offseason hoping for one of the bigger prizes.  They will offer some top end FA money loaded with incentives, then will quickly move on.  My guess our offseason will be quantity over quality.   

Brett Gardner 2 year deal

Jose Abreu 4 year deal

and a middle of the pack pitcher or two.

How does one define that as quantity?  

I wont be.  I think all of those who have these delusions that JR is going to open up the pocket books to win are going to be disappointed.  It will be a bunch of role players surrounding our existing core.   

So you expect the Sox to have a payroll south of $75M next season?  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you expect the Sox to have a payroll south of $75M next season?  

I figure they will save their pennies while they try to sign the existing core to long term deals.  They spent a lot of money last year on garbage.  I figure they will do the same this year.   I don't see this organization landing the big fish.  Lots of middle of the road fishes.  

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

I figure they will save their pennies while they try to sign the existing core to long term deals.  They spent a lot of money last year on garbage.  I figure they will do the same this year.   I don't see this organization landing the big fish.  Lots of middle of the road fishes.  

one top of line pitcher is crucial. outside of that...yes, middle of the road is fine...the Twins did a heck of a job with that strategy last offseason. 

They weren't supposed to compete last year.  There was no reason to sign quality players outside of Brychado.

So you do believe their payroll will be below $75M?  Their committed payroll in 2020 is $15M.  About $45M with arb figures.  Unless you think the Sox are now one of the 2-3 lowest spenders in the game, your take doesn't make a ton of sense.  

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think the White Sox are going to dramatically overpay him. 2/$42 or 3/$60.

That sounds about right. Personally, I don't have a problem with that because he's a good clubhouse guy and has been a good mentor to guys like Moncada and Jiminez. He's sort of like our Derek Jeter, where his value to this team is higher than it would be to any other team.

Just now, Orlando said:

I really hope I am wrong but I cant shake the feeling that Ivan Nova gets signed as a placeholder for Kopech

I have no issue with that whatsoever. IMO we need 2 pitchers right now given the youth and injuries in our rotation; we need one strong pitcher for the upper part of the rotation (Cole? Anyone? Cy Young winners are useful right?) and a 6th starter/swingman. With slightly expanded rosters that extra starter will be very helpful and easier to carry. That 6th starter could start the season in the rotation if Kopech isn't ready, help Cease control innings, be useful if Lopez struggles, replace anyone who gets hurt, and if things go well for a while we've got a long man in the bullpen.

We could probably find names other than Nova that would work also, but Nova isn't unreasonable, and I'd pay a few million dollars (maybe up to $5 million) to fill that role. 

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Jose Quintana

Cubs decline his option to make a go at Cole or Strasburg

they are going to decline his option...but not to go after those guys. they are cutting payroll it sounds. I am fine with Q back. he would be a great #4 for the future and think he could rebound under cooper (one of the only things I think cooper can do well). 

Q and Wheeler would make for quite the competitive rotation:

1st 2 months            June 2020-beyond
Giolito                        Giolito
Wheeler                     Wheeler
Quintana                    Kopech
Cease                          Quintana
Filler                            Cease (to leap frog Q by 2021 and Rodon can be traded)

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

they are going to decline his option...but not to go after those guys. they are cutting payroll it sounds. I am fine with Q back. he would be a great #4 for the future and think he could rebound under cooper (one of the only things I think cooper can do well). 

Q and Wheeler would make for quite the competitive rotation:

1st 2 months            June 2020-beyond
Giolito                        Giolito
Wheeler                     Wheeler
Quintana                    Kopech
Cease                          Quintana
Filler                            Cease (to leap frog Q by 2021 and Rodon can be traded)

I do not believe at all that this org is ready to give up on Lopez completely (nor should they. Last year in the offseason our "competitive" rotation models were dropping Giolito!)

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So you do believe their payroll will be below $75M?  Their committed payroll in 2020 is $15M.  About $45M with arb figures.  Unless you think the Sox are now one of the 2-3 lowest spenders in the game, your take doesn't make a ton of sense.  

So last year when they had two 26 year old FA's on the table and wanted them and had almost no competition.  Did they win either of them?  No.  Because history says we have a hard time paying absolute top dollar for top free agents.  I would love to be wrong. I would love to see Cole, JD Martinez, and a few others impacting our team next year.  There is zero reason we shouldn't spend the money.  I think they will spend money but it will be quantity just like they did last year.  They spent money last offseason.  Just on a lot of players over a single player.  This year they have a lot of competition for resources.  I believe they will give lip service on the top end pitchers but do not want to wait for the bulk of free agency to go by as their agents try to isolate each FA against multiple teams.  Our payroll will go up.  But based on history we wont see us winning any front line players over the rest of the MLB.  I would love to be wrong on this.  Last year's friends and family plan attempts for Machado tell me the Front Office is going to have problems when lots of teams are competing for the same resources.  

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do not believe at all that this org is ready to give up on Lopez completely (nor should they. Last year in the offseason our "competitive" rotation models were dropping Giolito!)

I am a dumb dumb head. I forgot about Lopez. I am not as high on him though as the other options.  I would not be opposed to Q as an option but with Rodon and Kopech both coming back, you are right, they wouldn't do that. I just hope they are willing to dish out for Wheeler or Oridozzi. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

I am a dumb dumb head. I forgot about Lopez. I am not as high on him though as the other options.  I would not be opposed to Q as an option but with Rodon and Kopech both coming back, you are right, they wouldn't do that. I just hope they are willing to dish out for Wheeler or Oridozzi. 

Yeah, you can see above that one of the reasons I want a 6th starter is that I don't have confidence in Lopez, but I am also absolutely going to give him more chances, both to open the season and maybe even in 2021. 

If they were to acquire Q...that sorta rules out Wheeler/Cole/better options, IMO. I could see them doing exactly that, but it's not my preferred route. Frankly, I'd prefer Keuchel if they were insistent on a cheaper, LH option.