Predict the 1st Free Agent Signed

wegner

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So teams that have been bad and in rebuilding with weak rosters for years but with considerable financial resources might find luck if they gamble and buy several of them to see if they can find a couple rotation players?  Hmm, this seems like a smart strategy for the Bulls, I wonder why they haven't done it. And wait, you're telling me that MLB gives you the ability to sign international free agents, and the White Sox have money available to do this? What did they use that money for last year? I sure hope they spent it and didn't use it to get another team to write them a check.

I posted the literal quote. Spin that nonsense however you want, but the bulls liked 5 players and they were not there so they moved the pick to obtain capital to use later on something they actually valued. Which NBA teams do all the time.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Balta1701 said:

So teams that have been bad and in rebuilding with weak rosters for years but with considerable financial resources might find luck if they gamble and buy several of them to see if they can find a couple rotation players?  Hmm, this seems like a smart strategy for the Bulls, I wonder why they haven't done it. And wait, you're telling me that MLB gives you the ability to sign international free agents, and the White Sox have money available to do this? What did they use that money for last year? I sure hope they spent it and didn't use it to get another team to write them a check.

Signing useless players (which Jordan Bell is proving to be) to fill up the end of your roster is dumb.  Roster spots are valuable.  Wasting them on guys like Bell isn't smart.  That's why teams trade 2nd round picks frequently.  Some teams have more space available at the end of their roster than others.

If it's one thing GarPax do well it's scouting.  Trades and FA are a major weakness but scouting is not.  If they concluded nobody in the 2nd round at that moment was worth building up some "equity" with the owner I trust them.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If it's one thing GarPax do well it's scouting.  Trades and FA are a major weakness but scouting is not.  If they concluded nobody in the 2nd round at that moment was worth building up some "equity" with the owner I trust them.

I agree that they scout reasonably well.  The FA major weakness is a direct result of players avoiding the team due to ownership perception. It all could have changed had Wade and Lebron signed there, but it didn't happen and it's unfortunate that a reputation can have such an affect on the future of teams. I hate it. I actually am fine with JR and he is a brilliant businessman, but i don't understand how saying the sox had a high payroll for years defends him. This is Chicago. The payroll should be top 5-10 every year and luxury tax should be shattered if the players help the team win a championship. 

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Using Paxson (a total JR puppet) does nothing to help your case. Paxson gets into near yelling matches with radio hosts trying to defend the same tired excuses every year. 

Lol this is literally the quote and article that balka derived his absurd take from. That's the exact quote... 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So they amnesty boozer and somehow that's spun to be negative thing showing their cheap. My lord

Scared to go over the tax? Who could they have acquired to put them over the cap that they didnt? I'll wait.

Dont want to take this conversation too off topic but how anyone can argue that a guy who spent the highest percentage of revenue on payroll in baseball for almost a 20 year window is cheap? Its laughable. 

It's nick friedell come back to chicago!

They...traded korver for nothing just to stay under the luxury tax if they matched asik. They didn't match him either. But yes, then they overpaid to get Kirk Hinrich. JR can't be cheap when he gives such charitable deals to marginal org favorites like Hinrich. 

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I agree that they scout reasonably well.  The FA major weakness is a direct result of players avoiding the team due to ownership perception. It all could have changed had Wade and Lebron signed there, but it didn't happen and it's unfortunate that a reputation can have such an affect on the future of teams. I hate it. I actually am fine with JR and he is a brilliant businessman, but i don't understand how saying the sox had a high payroll for years defends him. This is Chicago. The payroll should be top 5-10 every year and luxury tax should be shattered if the players help the team win a championship. 

The payroll should be based on revenues, not the city you exist in. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I posted the literal quote. Spin that nonsense however you want, but the bulls liked 5 players and they were not there so they moved the pick to obtain capital to use later on something they actually valued. Which NBA teams do all the time.

Yeah. Money. That was what they valued. Because they're cheap. Thank you.

Just now, bmags said:

It's nick friedell come back to chicago!

They...traded korver for nothing just to stay under the luxury tax if they matched asik. They didn't match him either. But yes, then they overpaid to get Kirk Hinrich. JR can't be cheap when he gives such charitable deals to marginal org favorites like Hinrich. 

Yes I'm nick friedel because I pointed out that the White Sox factually spent a higher percentage of revenue on payroll than any team in baseball for an extended period of time... while you parrot your ignorant "Jerry is cheap" sentiment.

Don't let facts get in the way of your narrative though.

Unlike some, I don't think the first signing will be a high end pitcher.  It seems from recent past that second tier guys at a position (for example Wheeler) are keyed in to the amount the top tier receives.  The top tier meanwhile, plays a game of chicken to see who signs first.  Boras always seems to wait it out when he represents the top tier, then after someone on his client's level signs, he looks to beat that number.

As everyone has agreed, Jose signs first.  On some level it may have been brilliant for JR to announce that Jose will never wear another uniform with Jose subsequently supporting the statement.  That should retard the offers he receives as teams won't waste their time on a futile gesture.

The first non Jose I think will be a relief pitcher.  You can move pretty quickly in FA to transform a bullpen.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The payroll should be based on revenues, not the city you exist in. 

Or if you have a maniac owner that wants to win at all costs. Would be nice to have one of those is all any of us wish for. 
The third biggest market in the nation should support higher revenues on a regular basis if you are winning. 

Jerry pays a guy who violates his contract ending his career the full value of his contract. Crickets.

Jerry sells a second round pick where his front office doesnt like any available players. "He's cheap!"

The first total was more than the second too.

Edit: jay got 3 million, so it was .5 less.

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Or if you have a maniac owner that wants to win at all costs. Would be nice to have one of those is all any of us wish for. 
The third biggest market in the nation should support higher revenues on a regular basis if you are winning. 

Sure but they havent been winning. When they competed every year they spent money.

It's the entertainment industry. You distribute employee pay based on revenue.

To answer the thread, I'll say Wheeler is the first player signed. 

Also, obviously I'd love an owner who didnt care at all about budgets.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure but they havent been winning. When they competed every year they spent money.

We agree on something. That is what I posted earlier also. Truce. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

We agree on something. That is what I posted earlier also. Truce. 

The overwhelming negativity is just awful on this board sometimes. 

No hard feelings either way - passion about something causes passionate conversations and positions. Nothing wrong with either opinion, I just find the narrative lazy personally but I understand why people are down in general.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes I'm nick friedel because I pointed out that the White Sox factually spent a higher percentage of revenue on payroll than any team in baseball for an extended period of time... while you parrot your ignorant "Jerry is cheap" sentiment.

Don't let facts get in the way of your narrative though.

Remember when Jerry was part of a collusion ring to artificially deflate player salaries then was a leading voice that led to canceling a season where his team was world series contenders just to ensure he wouldn't have to pay more money to labor.

Me neither because he had the payroll befitting a major market team for a portion of his ownership.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The overwhelming negativity is just awful on this board sometimes. 

No hard feelings either way - passion about something causes passionate conversations and positions. Nothing wrong with either opinion, I just find the narrative lazy personally but I understand why people are down in general.

winning would cure it all. unfortunately for Both the Bulls and Sox...not so much of that for far too long.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Are the Cubs actually considering declining Q? Hadn't seen that anywhere. Cant see it happening 

The Cubs aren't going to decline Q's option.  That would be a poor decision.  At the very least they could get something for him after picking it.  

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

Remember when Jerry was part of a collusion ring to artificially deflate player salaries then was a leading voice that led to canceling a season where his team was world series contenders just to ensure he wouldn't have to pay more money to labor.

Me neither because he had the payroll befitting a major market team for a portion of his ownership.

Keep moving those goal posts.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Cubs aren't going to decline Q's option.  That would be a poor decision.  At the very least they could get something for him after picking it.  

I'm not so sure.  Seems like the organization and fanbase are ready to move on from him, so a trade would be the most likely outcome if his option was picked up.  Would the Cubs really get much in return for 1 year of Quintana at $10.5 mil?  Honest question.  No GM is going to look at him as a TOR or difference-making starter at this point in his career.  He's more like a low-end No. 3 or No. 4 guy.  Is he really that much better than, say, Nova right now?  And how much is Nova going to get in free agency?

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm not so sure.  Seems like the organization and fanbase are ready to move on from him, so a trade would be the most likely outcome if his option was picked up.  Would the Cubs really get much in return for 1 year of Quintana at $10.5 mil?  Honest question.  No GM is going to look at him as a TOR or difference-making starter at this point in his career.  He's more like a low-end No. 3 or No. 4 guy.  Is he really that much better than, say, Nova right now?  And how much is Nova going to get in free agency?

They won't get much but the trick is it's not zero. The right move would be to pick up his option, make their run at Cole, and if they're able to sign him - have already talked to teams about trading Quintana for a pittance. That way, they have the pitcher and can use him if needed, but if they land the big FA they know he's movable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I forgot about Lopez. I am not as high on him though as the other options.

I don't know how Lopez is going to pan out over the long run, but he's 25, he's under team control through 2023, he's dirt-cheap, and he's shown flashes of brilliance. I'm totally fine with a guy like that at the back of the rotation. If he can overcome his inconsistency, he'll be a tremendous asset going forward.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Also, obviously I'd love an owner who didnt care at all about budgets.

The NBA also doesn't have a hard cap, they have a soft cap with a luxury tax that teams can go over if they are signing their own players or making trades using trade exemptions. The Bulls have also paid the Luxury tax exactly 2 times since it was instituted nearly 20 years ago. Counting last year, 19 teams have paid it at least 3 times, putting the Bulls in the bottom 1/3 of the league, tied with such big spenders as the Jazz, Grizzlies, and Kings. This year, the 76ers will likely pay it, putting another team past the Bulls.