Rumor: Reinsdorf aims to build second place teams

Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Because some fans care about the character of their team's owner. If you're not one of those, feel free to ignore my comments on the matter.

Pffftttt...”character of the team’s owner”.  

Oh, Reinsdorf is a character, alright.  He showed wondrous character in threatening to move our Sox to Florida unless the state of Illinois agreed to his blackmailing. billionaire-making demands.  

He’s one helluva stand-up guy for the average White Sox fan.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Oh, Reinsdorf is a character, alright.  He showed wondrous character in threatening to move our Sox to Florida unless the state of Illinois agreed to his blackmailing. billionaire-making demands.  

Your hatred of Reinsdorf really isn’t healthy.  The dude simply said he’s a good boss which by all accounts he is.  No one is arguing he’s an awesome owner to the common fan.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

“Our Sox”? Hate to break this to you, buddy, but “we” don’t own the team.

My comments were strictly focused on how he treats his employees. If you want to dispute that, go for it. If you want to go on a tirade about how that doesn’t matter, go talk to somebody else.

10 hours ago, The Sir said:

You say there’s evidence for lots of things for which there usually is not. We have an owner who is cheap and that often results in not signing the best players and therefore ending up second fiddle, but we have won a WS recently which some more storied franchises can’t say for themselves. There’s no evidence that Reinsdorf is actively aiming for that situation. We’re just a mediocre team because we have a stingy owner.

You're right.

He's not even aiming to finish as high as second.

He's learned how to make boatloads of cash without being perineal contenders. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GradMc said:

You're right.

He's not even aiming to finish as high as second.

He's learned how to make boatloads of cash without being perineal contenders. 

watching the white sox the last decade sure has been "perineal".

cuz they play like taint

get it

get it

Edited by daggins
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Do I believe Sampson on the whole "second place" thing as far as being more profitable and can be a bit cheap like Reinsdorf? Absolutely. 

Do I believe Reinsdorf doesn't care about winning at all? Absolutely not and his emotions when the Sox won the World Series and the parade reflect that. 

It came coincidentally with meeting his profit margins. Of course he was emotional...LOL

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He rebuilt in the late 90s as well. It's all part of stringing the fanbase along. He's never going to put them over the top. He aims for 85-88 wins as the endgame. They'll ride this core out and do it again if he's still around.

His entire ownership has been a series of perpetual 3 to 5 year rebuilds. It"s just a friggin con. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It made a lot of sense when it was posted. Legit criticism. I'll take the heat for that one. I didn't know how much of a scumbag the guy that said this was, and that he's tried to make a lot of people in baseball look bad since he left the Marlins. That's on me. It doesn't change the plausibility of this accusation. There's no way to know for sure, so I guess people should just go on like it never happened. 

The Sox have a wonderful core of players in place, and nobody should give any passes if they screw this up. 

There is a strong possibility that this is a false accusation, however that does not change the plausibility of it. If you look back at 2000-2016, it looks really bad for JR at the very least, and if you have your tin foil hat on, it is indicting at worst. I looked at it and assumed the worst case scenario. I tend to do that way too much. 

I tend to be very gullible, so I assume the worst out of people until proven otherwise rather than the opposite. It's a way that I protect myself from being taken advantage of. Apologies. 

That's not being gullible, that's being skeptical. Nothing wrong with that

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Do I think Jerry values his profit margin over the Sox winning? Yes. Do I think Jerry is intentionally building 2nd place teams? No way. That is a pretty stupid business model and Jerry isn’t a stupid businessman, like him or not. 

If he's intentionally trying to build 2nd place teams, he's not even doing a very good job at that. This team hasn't been to the post season in 11 years

• Haha 1

The bottom line is Reinsdorf is not interested in pursing championships. And that should be clearly apparent to even his staunchest apologists.

Finishing second is beside the point. 

The league played opossum in 2005 and gave him his one-hit, under-budget wonder. 

He hasn"t come remotely close since. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure I follow.  Reinsdorf pretty much spends against the cap every year except when they’re rebuilding.  And my post had nothing about being good or bad.

I mean the lack of spending sucks. And for the NBA it is about getting into the luxury tax, which the Bulls avoid like the plague. Being at the top on attendance even in bad years should mean they go over the tax to win. But, they don't. 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Except it won’t change anything, and you’ll still be here daily discussing White Sox baseball. I 100% guarantee it. 

Which is fine by the way, I’m not saying you should leave. But the point is, if you truly believe this report, there would be no reason to be a fan of a franchise where the owner has no desire to win. So then why spend your time on something like that? 

For me is simply I am a fan of the Chicago American League Ballclub Inc. who over the course of many decades have provided me a lifetime of memories.

I was a fan before Reinsdorf and will be one when his tenure as placeholder comes to a merciful end.

The apologists can't deny the record.

5 playoff appearances in 37 years.

And they were rarely in contention for many of the remaining 32 of 37 years.

Frankly, I'm more shocked at the denial than I am with what he purportedly said.

It's right up there with the "Organizations Win Championships" remark trying to undercut the contributions made by iconic difference-makers. 

Edited by GradMc

2 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

“Our Sox”? Hate to break this to you, buddy, but “we” don’t own the team.

My comments were strictly focused on how he treats his employees. If you want to dispute that, go for it. If you want to go on a tirade about how that doesn’t matter, go talk to somebody else.

On the contrary. This isn’t the “White Sox Employees Tribute to the Boss” website.  It’s a message board (and a good one at that) for White Sox “fans” to comment and debate all things White Sox, which includes matters related to the owner.  

If you want to go on a tirade about how it matters how he treats his employees, which has nothing to do with the average White Sox fan experience, then it is you who needs to go talk to somebody else.  

Edited by Thad Bosley

3 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

On the contrary. This isn’t the “White Sox Employees Tribute to the Boss” website.  It’s a message board (and a good one at that) for White Sox “fans” to comment and debate all things White Sox, which includes matters related to the owner.  

If you want to go on a tirade about how it matters how he treats his employees, which has nothing to do with the average White Sox fan experience, then it is you who needs to go talk to somebody else.  

Oh this is dumb. A lot of things get discussed on this website- White Sox baseball, all baseball, our jobs, our relationships, and in days of yore, even politics. The typical White Sox fan experience? I will always love this team but I’ve been in the state of Illinois for all of ten days in the last twenty years. You guys talk about your hatred of the Cubs and it couldn’t matter less to me because I don’t even know any Cubs fans. Should I run around and screech at people for daring to talk about something that doesn’t interest me?

If the guy wants to mention reliable info that our team’s owner is a good guy, then I’m interested. If you so totally do not care, then you are welcome at any point to...you know...stop caring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I didn’t go on a “tirade”about anything. I simply agreed that he treats his employees well, and I know this based on the comments of an actual employee. If it bothers you that I didn’t say “Reinsdorf is Satan,” then you have some serious growing up to do.

Edited by Black_Jack29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

The bottom line is Reinsdorf is not interested in pursing championships.

It’s more accurate to say that he’s not interested in purchasing championships. He definitely wants to win, but is unwilling to go into debt to do it. And the criticism of that is perfectly valid.

Edited by Black_Jack29
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Indeed. A former girlfriend of a friend of mine worked in the Sox front office (payroll) in the late '90s and early 2000's. She described Reinsdorf as "grandfatherly" and a "good boss." One can criticize him for many things, but not the way that he treats his employees.

I think you were getting two timed by Reinsdorf. You two may be Eskimo brothers as they say

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I didn’t go on a “tirade”about anything. I simply agreed that he treats his employees well, and I know this based on the comments of an actual employee. If it bothers you that I didn’t say “Reinsdorf is Satan,” then you have some serious growing up to do.

Oh, you absolutely went on a “tirade”, if only because you’ve set the definition of a tirade as an opinion shared by someone that doesn’t match your point of view.  

Talk abour “growing up to do”...

10 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

It’s more accurate to say that he’s not interested in purchasing championships. He definitely wants to win, but is unwilling to go into debt to do it. And the criticism of that is perfectly valid.

I don't think he even wants to win.

His record speaks of itself.

And as far going into debt....there are 30 sets of MLB ownerships in the known universe. If he's not affluent enough to contend then he should get out of sports.

But he won't because he's learned to make money without significant financial overlays. Contending is strictly coincidental to achieving his level of profit margin.

The White Sox were the 6th most profitable team in MLB last year.

I'm sure he's done very well for himself and that cabal again in 2019.

And what he's achieving with the Bulls has got to be breathtaking. Consistently in the top 3 in attendance playing in the Sistine Chapel of the NBA while consistently in the bottom 3 in payroll.

No wonder he told the family to sell his so-called beloved White Sox but by all means keep the Bulls.

The guy is a native New Yorker.

He doesn't give a damn about Chicago outside of  his charitable (tax writeoffs) contributions. 

P.T. Barnum 2.0 fits him perfectly. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

If this is true, then it makes Hahn's performance as GM even more indefensible.   He should have been all over analytics from the start and never part with young players with potential for 2 years of veteran salve.   He should be all over the July trade deadline.  He should have surrounded himself with talent evaluators and prioritized development.  Instead, he just joined the JR friends and family party.

14 minutes ago, sox71 said:

The Reinsdorf response to the rumor is the more troubling.  I don't recall the conversation, no saying, I am committed to championship and we are going to spend money.  This is a kick in the stomach.  Sigh.   

Jerry was probably trying to be funny.  It wouldn't surprise me if some people on this board have said some things that on reflection weren't very smart.