Rumor: Reinsdorf aims to build second place teams

Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re missing my point.  You’re making the assumption that Reinsdorf pushed for them not to spend that money.  I honestly don’t think that’s the case and believe it’s more likely they somehow botched the recruiting process when they were in the penalty box.  They never had a problem spending this money beforehand.  Just find it odd they go with an older Cuban prospect and not much else when they finally get out of the box.  When they say “Paddy didn’t like any of the available guys” as the reason to they didn’t sign anyone else, it seems like the quality prospects had all paired up with other teams.  I really think our organization simply fucked up somehow.

With their history, I would find it easily believable that ownership has suggested they don't want to spend money on the international market. When there were no signing limits, they didn't spend money or develop scouting when other teams were having success doing exactly that, so it's not at all far-fetched to believe they're doing the same thing now. But even if it isn't ownership directly ordering them to limit their international spending...management knows that given the choice between spending that money on the international market and saving a bit on what they committed to Jones...ownership would prefer saving the money on Jones's deal. No one will get fired or penalized if they make that choice. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wilder wasn’t really here that long and was committing fraud to help hype up his LatAm signings.  Hard to blame the Chairman for that.  It took us years to repair the damage that was done and Paddy has gradually improved the function, but at the end of the day Jerry is going to play by his rules and he never liked going over slot and committing a lot of money in this area.  But again, my point was on Wilder, not the shitshow our LatAm function has been for years.

Sure wilder wasn’t my point either, i think baltas point is accurate that this is exactly the international operation Jerry likes, and its not a surprise wilder happened under his watch. Jerry clearly thinks kids that age are a crapshoot and aggressively going after kids is silly, and he has the games second worst international operation because of it. And he’s fine with that.

Just now, bmags said:

Sure wilder wasn’t my point either, i think baltas point is accurate that this is exactly the international operation Jerry likes, and its not a surprise wilder happened under his watch. Jerry clearly thinks kids that age are a crapshoot and aggressively going after kids is silly, and he has the games second worst international operation because of it. And he’s fine with that.

I agree with most of what you’re saying, but I still don’t see any connection between Reinsdorf & Wilder.  KW & only KW is to blame for that.  Jerry’s type of LatAm operation isn’t the reason why Wilder was able to commit fraud.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I bet you he said it, but it probably was tongue in cheek.BTW, losing pays. Since RH has been GM, the team has been awful, but their bank account, another story. Coming into this season, which by all accounts was a big money manner, , according to Forbes numbers a cumulative $200 million profit.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/829581/chicago-white-sox-operating-income/

Much of this is driven by the league-wide revenue sharing from streaming (which is going to be a big point of contention during the next CBA negotiations).

So when you combine that with a few years of rebuilding (i.e., not spending much), you're going to make a pretty nice profit. It'll be interesting to see how much the organization spends on FAs this winter.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yes, and the only part that is missing from what you just described is the loyalty and lack of accountability. While it's great to support your guys when they are having success, if you also tolerate failure, and create a setup where a system of buddies is more important than winning games,  that kind of setup creates a perfect setting for a con man to run a multiyear scheme. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, and the only part that is missing from what you just described is the loyalty and lack of accountability. While it's great to support your guys when they are having success, if you also tolerate failure, and create a setup where a system of buddies is more important than winning games,  that kind of setup creates a perfect setting for a con man to run a multiyear scheme. 

This is quite frankly ridiculous and par for the course with you.  

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is quite frankly ridiculous and par for the course with you.  

The idea that this is an organization where there is no accountability is an easy one to support. Robin Ventura's contract extension. Rick Hahn continuing in his job after 2016. Kenny Williams being promoted - even when you're blaming him personally for the Wilder fraud fiasco. I would suggest that this type of loyalty - regardless of performance - creates exactly the setting where a con artist would thrive.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The idea that this is an organization where there is no accountability is an easy one to support. Robin Ventura's contract extension. Rick Hahn continuing in his job after 2016. Kenny Williams being promoted - even when you're blaming him personally for the Wilder fraud fiasco. I would suggest that this type of loyalty - regardless of performance - creates exactly the setting where a con artist would thrive.

It’s quite amazing that  Chicago White Sox can still defend Sox management.  Any resasonable fan knows that they are a joke.  Maybe he will finally see the light when Hahn and company miserably fail this upcoming offseason.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is little accountability for results, that I won’t argue with.  But to suggest that encourages fraud is ridiculous.  Con artists can thrive in any environment that doesn’t have the necessary controls in place and that item falls on KW.  Do you think the Braves have a culture of no accountability and that’s why their GM was breaking the rules in LatAm?

26 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It’s quite amazing that  Chicago White Sox can still defend Sox management.  Any resasonable fan knows that they are a joke.  Maybe he will finally see the light when Hahn and company miserably fail this upcoming offseason.

Your reading comprehension is nearly as bad as your whiny b**** attitude if you think I’m defending “management”.  I clearly blamed KW for the Wilder fiasco and last I checked he oversees our baseball operations.  But keep on hating brother, one of these times your actually going to get me!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your reading comprehension is nearly as bad as your whiny b**** attitude if you think I’m defending “management”.  I clearly blamed KW for the Wilder fiasco and last I checked he oversees our baseball operations.  But keep on hating brother, one of these times your actually going to get me!

I don’t need to “get you.”  Your posts tell the story already.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

it's long been clear that Reinsdorf runs his franchise where winning is but one of several things he cares about, and he would rather lose games and seasons than change the way he wants to run his team.

That’s it in a nutshell.

And while I’m not in the business of telling other people what to do, one has to wonder what the point of spewing vitriol (even righteous vitriol) on the internet is when it’s not going to change anything. I made peace with being a Sox fan, despite the ownership, decades ago. I enjoy the positives and tune out when the negatives become too much. If you’re miserable and there’s nothing to look forward to in the foreseeable future, why not just walk away and put your time and energy into doing something that actually makes you happy? If you wouldn’t let your wife or girlfriend screw you over and make you miserable, why are you letting Jerry Reinsdorf do it?

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wilder wasn’t really here that long and was committing fraud to help hype up his LatAm signings.  Hard to blame the Chairman for that.  It took us years to repair the damage that was done and Paddy has gradually improved the function, but at the end of the day Jerry is going to play by his rules and he never liked going over slot and committing a lot of money in this area.  But again, my point was on Wilder, not the shitshow our LatAm function has been for years.

If the same thing happened to the Cardinals, Astros or Braves in the Dominican...and there’s some obvious parallels...would it take them over a decade to recover?

It’s not like we had a strong operation there in the first place.  I think there was a long period where Jesus Pena was the best player we developed to come out of there.  Ordonez and CLee came out of other countries in the 90s.  

We’ve made zero effort in Asia since Takatsu and Iguchi over a decade ago.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

How do they quantify or measure that?  In a superficial, sourcing way...Alex Ramirez, Abreu, Tatis, Jr., and Luis Robert would stack up against any organization over a ten year period.

Of course, crediting JR, KW, Hahn or Paddy is the trickiest part there.

And Robert is the only one to spend significant time in our system.  And there’s  a huge gap from those four to Mickey Adolfo.  

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I love Stone as an announcer, but of course he would come to Jerry’s defense. He’s pretty much a mouthpiece for the Sox want people to hear these days

And yet he's pretty much right. This guy is a complete asshole who sucked at his job.

I love Stoney and the way that he was willing to lose his job to call out the Cubs for tanking down the stretch back on ‘03 (?). But it’s pretty well understood that if you want to keep your job as a Sox announcer, you need to run interference for JR. So I’m not sure what to think of his comments.