Rumor: Reinsdorf aims to build second place teams

Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

It wasn't a personal attack. It was an attack on how excited you get on a topic and never drop it.

What is with sentence #2? That's your opinion. I can easily say it doesn't matter what you think, too. What are we, fourth graders? 

My nephew is autistic so don't tell me what I do and don't get. Thanks.

You should consider just stopping.  "Sit the next few plays out" as they say.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

You did. You personally attacked me for being open about my condition. It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what I think...you'll never get it so just STFU. 

I don't think this was an outlandish claim nor a ridiculous opinion. It's entirely plausible based on how the Sox ran their teamEven though I believed it at first because it made a metric ton of sense, I chose to back off because acknowledging it as fact or truth would make me want to quit being a fan of the team. I don't want to do that right now. I'm willing to give JR 2 offseasons to prove Sampson wrong. If he continues to behave like Sampson is correct, I'll have to come to terms with that. 

I apologize for calling people sheep for not believing it. None of us want to believe that it is true. The comment initially set me off because how the Sox were run from 2000-2012 fits the bill. 

Can you lay out objective criteria as to how he is supposed to do that?

18 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Can you lay out objective criteria as to how he is supposed to do that?

Sign someone to the largest deal(in dollars) in Sox history. As of right now it's Abreu's $68M  so it isn't a high bar. A 4/80 for Wheeler would do the trick.

Edited by Jack Parkman

46 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's too bad people don't realize following a sports team is a completely voluntary form of entertainment. The team itself has absolutely no obligation to you as a fan. 

It's not that simple.  I've been a Sox fan since I moved to Chicago as a 10-year old.  After 30 years in the area, I have moved several times for business reasons.  Each time to a city that had major sports teams.  Not one time did I become a fan of the team(s) in those cities.  I have remained a fan of the Chicago teams (except the Cubs, of course).

It was easier for me to go through a divorce than it would be for me to stop being a Sox fan.  There is nothing "voluntary" about it.  It's a part of my life.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

It's not that simple.  I've been a Sox fan since I moved to Chicago as a 10-year old.  After 30 years in the area, I have moved several times for business reasons.  Each time to a city that had major sports teams.  Not one time did I become a fan of the team(s) in those cities.  I have remained a fan of the Chicago teams (except the Cubs, of course).

It was easier for me to go through a divorce than it would be for me to stop being a Sox fan.  There is nothing "voluntary" about it.  It's a part of my life.

QFT

My parents are both products of the south side. I moved to suburbs when I was 9. Being a Sox fan was as much a part of my life as eating breakfast or doing my homework. I didn't have a choice. THere were two things in my house growing up that were off-limits, and anything "Cubs" was one of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

Sorry to hear about your divorce, but nobody should be that addicted to a sports team. If you can’t walk away from something if it negatively impacts your life (a bad relationship, alcohol, gambling, etc.), you have a problem.

The “I don’t have a choice” line that I’m reading here is bullshit. Some of you need to man up and take control of your lives.

Edited by Black_Jack29
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Sorry to hear about your divorce, but nobody should be that addicted to a sports team. If you can’t walk away from something if it negatively impacts your life (a bad relationship, alcohol, gambling, etc.), you have a problem.

The “I don’t have a choice” line that I’m reading here is bullshit. Some of you need to man up and take control of your lives.

Some people take this to a fever pitch level. I love the White Sox and I’ll watch them or at least check the box scores every day during every season for the rest of my life. I’ll buy merchandise and on rare occasions travel to Chicago to go to games in person. But I’m not that ten year old who cries at losses anymore. Maybe it’s the recent mediocrity or maybe it’s just all the worries of being an adult, but my fandom has changed. My wife, my kids, my money, those are much bigger things for me now. If I could have guaranteed success in all of those categories but never see another winning White Sox season, I’d take that deal in a heartbeat. Hell, I’d happily take the White Sox never winning a single game again if that was my reward. Love the team but my priorities are very clear.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Some people take this to a fever pitch level. I love the White Sox and I’ll watch them or at least check the box scores every day during every season for the rest of my life. I’ll buy merchandise and on rare occasions travel to Chicago to go to games in person. But I’m not that ten year old who cries at losses anymore. Maybe it’s the recent mediocrity or maybe it’s just all the worries of being an adult, but my fandom has changed. My wife, my kids, my money, those are much bigger things for me now. If I could have guaranteed success in all of those categories but never see another winning White Sox season, I’d take that deal in a heartbeat. Hell, I’d happily take the White Sox never winning a single game again if that was my reward. Love the team but my priorities are very clear.

Ditto. I’ve been a Sox fan since ‘82 and was admittedly too into them from age 8 or so well into my 20s. But age, marriage, kids, and my career put an end to that. The Sox are still great, but I have no qualms turning off the TV in August during those bad seasons (most of them 😄) and not giving a thought to them again until March. The Sox are great but, at the end of the day, they’re just entertainment.

Edited by Black_Jack29
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Ditto. I’ve been a Sox fan since ‘82 and was admittedly too into them from age 8 or so, we’ll into my 20s. But age, marriage, kids, and my career out an end to that. The Sox are still great, but I no qualms turning off the TV in August during those bad seasons (most of them 😄) and not giving a thought to them again until March. The Sox are great but, at the end of the day, they’re just entertainment.

Yep. I always thought it was weird that my dad was a Yankees fan (he grew up in upstate NY) but didn’t really care about them one way or another. He taught me a lot about baseball and he supported my budding love of the White Sox when I was growing up but Yankee games didn’t dominate the TV and he showed no real emotion about them. I think the ‘94 strike kinda wiped him out, and I don’t think I’ll be as chilled about as he is, but I definitely understand now how fandom changes from boyhood into manhood.

Honestly, I think one of the most beautiful aspects about the game for me these days is how it ties my whole life together. I’ve had a whacky life and I’ve been all over the world, but for all the differences, the Sox have always been there. Whether it was living in Chicago and secretly listening to them on my portable radio after bedtime, or living in Spain and having stateside relatives send me game tapes, or being in a faraway state at college using this newfangled Facebook thing to gather fellow Sox fans for the World Series (unsuccessfully, I might add), or fiddling with the radio at an airfield in southern Afghanistan so I could listen to Chris Sale dominate some poor bastards, the Sox have always been there tying it together. So I think that’s a cool impact on my own life, and I’m grateful for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Glad to know I’m not the only one who took each and every game super seriously as a kid. I lived and died with literally every game, even when the Sox were already out of contention

Guilty. I don’t give a wit about the NFL at all today, but there was a game in the 1990s where the Bears had 1st and goal at the Broncos’ one yard line or so in the last possession of the game. We sucked, they were great, so it looked like an upset was coming. Nope- the Broncos stood us up through four downs and “we” lost 17-12. I cried my eyes out. My dad whooped my ass. 

14 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yep. I always thought it was weird that my dad was a Yankees fan (he grew up in upstate NY) but didn’t really care about them one way or another. He taught me a lot about baseball and he supported my budding love of the White Sox when I was growing up but Yankee games didn’t dominate the TV and he showed no real emotion about them. I think the ‘94 strike kinda wiped him out, and I don’t think I’ll be as chilled about as he is, but I definitely understand now how fandom changes from boyhood into manhood.

Honestly, I think one of the most beautiful aspects about the game for me these days is how it ties my whole life together. I’ve had a whacky life and I’ve been all over the world, but for all the differences, the Sox have always been there. Whether it was living in Chicago and secretly listening to them on my portable radio after bedtime, or living in Spain and having stateside relatives send me game tapes, or being in a faraway state at college using this newfangled Facebook thing to gather fellow Sox fans for the World Series (unsuccessfully, I might add), or fiddling with the radio at an airfield in southern Afghanistan so I could listen to Chris Sale dominate some poor bastards, the Sox have always been there tying it together. So I think that’s a cool impact on my own life, and I’m grateful for it.

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

My parents and sister are Sox fans, and it’s something we can share together. When my family was back in the south suburbs a couple of months ago, I took my dad to a game. It was just great to be  back there with him, after all those years that he took me to games back in the 80s.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

My parents and sister are Sox fans, and it’s something we can share together. When my family was back in the south suburbs a couple of months ago, I took my dad to a game. It was just great to be  back there with him, after all those years that he took me to games back in the 80s.

Very cool. Those are the best experiences with this game.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:59 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you actually might be insane.  

Also, why is he rebuilding right now if the goal is 2nd place finishes?  That’s goes completely against your claim.

because it's CHEAPER! the sox got three cost controlled prospects AND 60 million dollars in bonus payments and penalties for three years of a cost controlled chris sale from the red sox. 

the sox get a pass from the national and local media for cost cutting during a "rebuild" because the recent evidence (2015-2017 WS winners) makes them "smart" not cheap. The payroll has drastically dropped the last three years, and the sox were able to trade most of their bad paper for cheaper prospects. meanwhile, ticket prices went up 12% as the sox now charge you tax above the ticket face value, and the tv deal was re-upped at a significant increase.

the "investors" are quite happy with their returns.

8 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

because it's CHEAPER! the sox got three cost controlled prospects AND 60 million dollars in bonus payments and penalties for three years of a cost controlled chris sale from the red sox. 

the sox get a pass from the national and local media for cost cutting during a "rebuild" because the recent evidence (2015-2017 WS winners) makes them "smart" not cheap. The payroll has drastically dropped the last three years, and the sox were able to trade most of their bad paper for cheaper prospects. meanwhile, ticket prices went up 12% as the sox now charge you tax above the ticket face value, and the tv deal was re-upped at a significant increase.

This narrative is ridiculous, the Sox did NOT rebuild for financial reasons.  I don’t care how much some of you hate Jerry (and I’m not a fan of him myself), the purpose of the rebuild was 100% well intentioned with the ultimate goal of becoming a sustainable winner long-term.  There is no conspiracy theory here.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, Jack Parkman said:

That is the one exception, and you don't get a free pass coming off of a WS. Everyone's arm fell off that year. Garcia showed up to ST throwing 86 mph. Contreras and Buehrle were good in the first half, and sucked in the 2nd half. They still haven't recovered in CF from trading Rowand, but nobody complained about giving Anderson a chance. Garland went back to being Garland. If the pitching would have held up they would have won 100 games that year but whatever. When it was obvious that Anderson was failing they could have gone and grabbed a CF and Bullpen help. 

I'm done litigating the 2006 Sox. 

at one point in the 2006 season, SEVEN out of nine starters in the sox lineup were hitting better than .275. the two that were WELL under? Juan uribe and brian anderson. 

now which player was criticized by the manager for not hitting and replaced by rob fucking mackowiak? it wasn't the guy who made a hot dog play in the world series and eventually had his fat ass immortalized on a gate 4 plaza relief, i can tell you that. never mind that the rookie was an above average outfielder and you just traded for a guy that effectively replaced the production of both your 2005 DH combo  AND your 2005 center fielder.

i'm tired of this anderson 2006 bullshit. juan uribe sucked that year, but his buddy ozzie never talked about about his fat ass and horrible defense.  you DON'T NEED your number 9 hitter to be a batting champ in the american league!

and let's be honest, rowand was overrated. people liked him because he was a bears fan and ran into walls. look at his giants tenure for proof.

13 minutes ago, ewokpelts said:

Does anybody know how much more the TV deal is paying the White Sox? I haven't read anything as too how much the new deal is worth.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

This narrative is ridiculous, the Sox did NOT rebuild for financial reasons.  I don’t care how much some of you hate Jerry (and I’m not a fan of him myself), the purpose of the rebuild was 100% well intentioned with the ultimate goal of becoming a sustainable winner long-term.  There is no conspiracy theory here.

they were losing badly with a 125 million dollar payroll. now they are losing with a 70 million dollar payroll.  but attendanc eis actually up and tv ratings on the station they part own are up.

do the math.