Sign in to follow this  
Jack Parkman

Rumor: Reinsdorf aims to build second place teams

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Weird, because I get emails from the Sox everyday trying to get me to buy tickets. 

Thus.....proving some sort of point? 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Weird, because I get emails from the Sox everyday trying to get me to buy tickets. 

Teams always want more money. It still doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things if people show up.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Teams always want more money. It still doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things if people show up.

You can't say teams always want more money and then say attendance is really not that important. . If you had a wedding and no one showed up, it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But if no one showed up, your pride would be hurt at the very least. The FO doesn't want bad crowds because it embarrasses the organization and makes the team less desirable to FA's and sponsors. We also have an owner who cherishes every penny, so even fan attendance is important to him. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Thus.....proving some sort of point? 

If they didn't care about fans showing up why would they waste time emailing folks, meeting with season ticket holders, discounting tickets and food to get more fans in the parks etc? It's because they actually do care. Maybe not as much as they did previously, but fan attendance and game atmosphere are important. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

even fan attendance is important to him. 

Could have fooled me...

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If they didn't care about fans showing up why would they waste time emailing folks, meeting with season ticket holders, discounting tickets and food to get more fans in the parks etc? It's because they actually do care. Maybe not as much as they did previously, but fan attendance and game atmosphere are important. 

As always, context is king. The original poster said the owner keeps making money even if the Sox lose, so why should fans go to the park? My response was to that post, and that attendance isn’t going to impact Jerry’s bottom line as much as some may think. 

I don’t know if you’re being intentionally obtuse, but yes, every franchise has a ticket sales office and it’s their job to fill the ballpark to the best of their abilities. It can make a franchise good money. But it doesn’t come CLOSE to the revenue created by broadcast rights, which is why almost every pro sports team is valued over a billion dollars.

The Lakers were valued at $900 million on 2012. They are now valued at 3.7 billion. You think that’s because tickets cost more? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

As always, context is king. The original poster said the owner keeps making money even if the Sox lose, so why should fans go to the park? My response was to that post, and that attendance isn’t going to impact Jerry’s bottom line as much as some may think. 

I don’t know if you’re being intentionally obtuse, but yes, every franchise has a ticket sales office and it’s their job to fill the ballpark to the best of their abilities. It can make a franchise good money. But it doesn’t come CLOSE to the revenue created by broadcast rights, which is why almost every pro sports team is valued over a billion dollars.

The Lakers were valued at $900 million on 2012. They are now valued at 3.7 billion. You think that’s because tickets cost more? 

It's also worth considering that revenues may not be the thing that supports team valuations, but also the fact that we have a lot of billionaires who have no idea what to do with the vast amounts of money they have and owning a sports team is a serious vanity project.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

This is a message board, you need to make your point a little clearer. You said the harsh reality was they don't care if fans show up to the ball park because they are getting tv money. And fans should stop watching games on tv to take a stand. I am not obtuse for saying you are wrong because your original comment is very broad. I see what you what you mean now that it's explained and we agree on this issue. They don't need ball park revenue as much as before, but that money is still valuable enough for them to care to some degree. Fans not showing up is bad for their business because it impacts sponsorship, national tv exposure, fan support overall, and good players wanting to come here. All of this must be taken into context as well and shows why our FO and owner would care about fans at the park. Even if it is not just for the cash earned in sales. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

So to clarify: I believed that Reinsdorf actually was trying to build 2nd place teams from 2000-2016. What he's doing now is anyone's best guess. We'll learn a lot this winter now that the Sox have an established core. 

23 hours ago, NWINFan said:

This is what is frustrating to fans. Losing teams can make money, and so why should they spend it? Then again, if that's the case, why should we go?

Baseball is fun, baseball games are fun and Comiskey Park is a great place to spend a summer afternoon or evening with family and friends. 

10 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Baseball is fun, baseball games are fun and Comiskey Park is a great place to spend a summer afternoon or evening with family and friends. 

Baseball games are infinitely more fun and Guaranteed Rate Field is a far greater place to spend a summer...blah blah blah...when the Sox are winning 90+ games vs. losing 90+ games.  When the team is in a pennant race vs. all of their summer contests being meaningless.  When scoreboard watching is more interesting than Sox Math.  So on and so forth!

7 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

They tore that down in the 80's.

7 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Baseball games are infinitely more fun and Guaranteed Rate Field is a far greater place to spend a summer...blah blah blah...when the Sox are winning 90+ games vs. losing 90+ games.  When the team is in a pennant race vs. all of their summer contests being meaningless.  When scoreboard watching is more interesting than Sox Math.  So on and so forth!

What he said was true. I always have a blast when I spend an evening at the ballpark. 

You’re just miserable. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

What he said was true. I always have a blast when I spend an evening at the ballpark. 

You’re just miserable. 

Yes, I’m miserable because I prefer winning baseball over non-winning baseball.  I’ll probably burn in hell for harboring such ideals.

You’re not exactly a bed of rose petals yourself with all of your angry retorts to posters who don’t share your exact point of view on all matters White Sox.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Yes, I’m miserable because I prefer winning baseball over non-winning baseball.  I’ll probably burn in hell for harboring such ideals.

You’re not exactly a bed of rose petals yourself with all of your angry retorts to posters who don’t share your exact point of view on all matters White Sox.   

I’m sure they prefer winning baseball as well, I’d say 99.9% of people fall into that category. 

53 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

It’s not about other posters, it’s you specifically being an angry curmudgeon, having one post in your very limited playbook that gets played on repeat. 

Now quick, mention Jerry in a post! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

They tore that down in the 80's.

He hasn't been in a while.................

On 10/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, Dan of Steel said:

If the plan is to build 2nd place teams, then we've done a sh*tty job of it.

The Sox haven't finished in 2nd place since 2012. Only twice in the last decade. 

You forget, JR was also working on making the Bulls mediocre and helping them to finish 2nd for the top FA's. 

On 10/15/2019 at 11:05 PM, Jerksticks said:

I’m sure they prefer winning baseball as well, I’d say 99.9% of people fall into that category. 

That was my only point in response to the original post I responded to - that WINNING White Sox baseball was better than just the game of baseball itself, or certainly the brand we’ve seen this past decade.  

23 hours ago, Tony said:

It’s not about other posters, it’s you specifically being an angry curmudgeon, having one post in your very limited playbook that gets played on repeat. 

Now quick, mention Jerry in a post! 

The next time you go to call anyone else an “angry” anything, take a long look in the mirror first, and then check your own “limited playbook”.  

Those in glass houses...