Which players are you paying extra attention to next year?

KnightsOnMintSt

I have one hitter and one pitcher.

Hitter: Gavin Sheets. AAA/MLB ball. Short distance to RF. I think Gavin will put up big numbers for Charlotte.

Pitcher: Jonathan Stiever. Just really liked watching him pitch last year. Rose a lot through the prospect rankings at the end of the year. I think he is the pitcher to watch within the organization.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

5 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I have one hitter and one pitcher.

Hitter: Gavin Sheets. AAA/MLB ball. Short distance to RF. I think Gavin will put up bi numbers for Charlotte.

Pitcher: Jonathan Stiever. Just really liked watching him pitch last year. Rose a lot through the prospect rankings at the end of the year. I think he is the pitcher to watch within the organization.

Sheets and Ian Hamilton. Others would be guys like Lenyn Sosa and Dalquist/Thompson.

Would say Stiever but I just don't think he'll be in the organization anymore.

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I will reserve my choices until next ST because of trades, and developments in the off-season or ST for some of these guys. This thread is way too early, IMO.

While I agree that this thread definitely is too early cause we don't know if certain guys will even be here (offseason trades and such), I'll say c'mon Joe you're overthinking this one. He's not asking for your darkhorse guy, your personal favorites or your breakout candidates. Just guys who you'll pay attention to and judging by his post, it's guys that had good seasons but want to see take that extra step.

There were a couple of us who did the opposite and posted guys who were top guys but injuries have kinda stunted their shine now and hopefully they'll gain it back. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

While I agree that this thread definitely is too early cause we don't know if certain guys will even be here (offseason trades and such), I'll say c'mon Joe you're overthinking this one. He's not asking for your darkhorse guy, your personal favorites or your breakout candidates. Just guys who you'll pay attention to and judging by his post, it's guys that had good seasons but want to see take that extra step.

There were a couple of us who did the opposite and posted guys who were top guys but injuries have kinda stunted their shine now and hopefully they'll gain it back. 

I guess I'll play along and say Burger is someone I'm curious to see next season.

So how do we mean this?

I took it literally as in guys I will make sure to check box scores every night/get excited on pitching nights.

But it sounds like it's actually identifying which guys are in make or break years, where if they don't have a good year it ruins them as a prospect. Is that right?

21 hours ago, Colinski said:

Until he’s gone Hansen! I can’t see it happening but if he gets it together he becomes our best pitching prospect over night.

Me too man.  Hands down our most important prospect to get right.  

That makes the Sox a dynasty easily. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:55 AM, bmags said:

So how do we mean this?

I took it literally as in guys I will make sure to check box scores every night/get excited on pitching nights.

But it sounds like it's actually identifying which guys are in make or break years, where if they don't have a good year it ruins them as a prospect. Is that right?

The way you took it seems right but many of the guys you will be checking box scores on are guys who also need to have good years. I also don't necessariiy agree that some years are make or break years. Maybe with the older minor leaguers like Luis Gonzalez but we never really know what guys are working on down on the farm.

That's one of the reasons why I follow Rutherford closely. I like that he works out with Yelich, Braun, Moustakas due to his friendship with Yelich. He could be learning things hes trying to incorporate into his game and sometimes it takes a while to find your own path through everything that you are learning from those guysamd your coaches.

Though he's not having a particularly strong AFL season he does seem to be getting better after a bad start and his hits are doubles and triples. His last 10 games his OPS is .806 and OBP .333 .