Positional Top 10 - Outfielders

Chicago White Sox

Alright, with the season over but the offseason yet to begin, I think now would be a great time to do some prospect rankings.  So to kick things off, let’s rank the top 10 outfielders in the system.

Here’s my official list:

1. Luis Robert
  2. Steele Walker
  3. Micker Adolfo
  4. Luis Basabe
  5. Luis Gonzalez
  6. Blake Rutherford
  7. Bryce Bush
  8. Luis Mieses
  9. James Beard
  10. Anderson Comas

12 minutes ago, 3500S said:

I still believe in Rutherford so he'd be my number two after Mr. Obvious. Walker has done nothing to be considered a non-prospect so he's number three.

After that its so bleak I prefer not to even look.

I just don’t get the love Rutherford gets around here.  He’s got an incredibly ordinary corner outfield profile.  I get he’s still very young, but at some point he’s got to show something to get me excited.

I've always gone the upside route sprinkling in the season results. Robert, Adolfo and Basabe are definitely my top 3. Then you can add the Steeles, Rutherfords, etc. type guys in there. 

I think Bailey is going to be way up there on alot of prospect lists by mid season next year. 

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m admittedly bias because he’s always been one of my favorite prospects, but I think Luis Gonzalez will have a nice bounce back year to get back on the map  and be in the mix for a big league spot in 2021. 

The plate discipline was fine, the lack of power was the issue.  Will be interesting to see how he responds to juiced ball.

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I've always gone the upside route sprinkling in the season results. Robert, Adolfo and Basabe are definitely my top 3. Then you can add the Steeles, Rutherfords, etc. type guys in there. 

I think Bailey is going to be way up there on alot of prospect lists by mid season next year. 

I agree for the most part, but I think Walker’s combo of bat speed & plate discipline provides far more potential than most give him credit for, especially if there’s any chance he can stick in CF (doesn’t sound like that’s been ruled out just yet).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree for the most part, but I think Walker’s combo of bat speed & plate discipline provides far more potential than most give him credit for, especially if there’s any chance he can stick in CF (doesn’t sound like that’s been ruled out just yet).

I've actually defender Walker on here for his potential so I actually agree with you. But he ain't Robert, Adolfo, Basabe type potential good. So him at #4 isn't a bad thing.

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Player A:  .307 BA, .866 OPS, 19.0 K %, 8.9 BB %

Player B:  .284 BA, .811 OPS, 14.8 K %, 9.5 BB %

Simply going by these stats, which player do you like more?

Are they same age and level?

33 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Player A:  .307 BA, .866 OPS, 19.0 K %, 8.9 BB %

Player B:  .284 BA, .811 OPS, 14.8 K %, 9.5 BB %

Simply going by these stats, which player do you like more?

All else being equal, I’d probably say Player B, but obviously a lot of factors could change that.

25 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I've actually defender Walker on here for his potential so I actually agree with you. But he ain't Robert, Adolfo, Basabe type potential good. So him at #4 isn't a bad thing.

I think Walker has a higher floor than Adolfo & Basabe given their swing & miss issues, which is probably the main reason I ranked him above them.

I'd definitely say walker is above Basabe from a potential perspective. Adolfo is tantalizing, but he's produced so little save for age appropriate years in good offensive environments. I hope he turns it up this year because the combo of his arm + power + looking the part makes it hard to not get excited.

Walker is a little bleh to me but players like that can turn out better than expected when some part clicks. 

16 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I actually had his numbers here too but your post confused me as I thought it was a current guy this season.

Yeah, I figured it would be confusing because of that reason, but I wanted to get the point across that Gonzalez and Walker had pretty similar seasons in A-ball (one year apart).  I think Gonzalez is underrated around here because of his down year, but AA is a huge adjustment, and he got better as the year went on. His BB rate stayed the same from A to AA, and his K rate actually improved after moving to Birmingham.  His knock this year was a lack of power, but he slugged .504 at Winston Salem compared to Walker slugging .426 at the same level and at the same age.

Edited by SoxBlanco