Japanese Slugger to be Posted?

steveno89

https://jaysjournal.com/2019/09/16/blue-jays-and-the-other-free-agent-market/

There’s a few more names here that could be posted, and one IFA.

Shogo Akiyama is who I’d be interested in as a 4th OF option with an outside chance of starting at RF. He’s been compared to as a better version of Nori Aoki, and I don’t think he’d cost more than 3/$10M including posting fee.

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castellanos just really isn't a very good fit.  

I mean, almost anybody would be better than what we trotted out there at DH and RF this season. Castellanos' defense leaves a ton to be desired, but his bat would be a major improvement. 

21 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

https://jaysjournal.com/2019/09/16/blue-jays-and-the-other-free-agent-market/

There’s a few more names here that could be posted, and one IFA.

Shogo Akiyama is who I’d be interested in as a 4th OF option with an outside chance of starting at RF. He’s been compared to as a better version of Nori Aoki, and I don’t think he’d cost more than 3/$10M including posting fee.

Akiyama will be a true free agent. If Seibu doesn’t extend him, he won’t require a posting fee. 

I’ve been following this guy closely for a few years now. Even saw him play two games live when I was in Japan. 

Pros:

- legitimately good plate discipline; can do damage on both fastballs and breaking balls

- left handed, true power hitter

- should come cheap because he really wants to play in mlb, And has a good relationship with his team. I’m guessing 3-4 years at $4-6mm

- he has played well in WBC and other exhibition tourneys, suggesting he can handle MLB velo

Cons:

- he’s not a good defender. Not a Palka-like butcher, but it hurts to have mediocre defenders in both corners, and if Abreu is back, there’s no room at DH when Vaughn arrives. 

- he’s been good the past couple years, but he hasn’t been able to repeat his monster 2016-2017 years. Those years made it seem like he was a transcendent hitter, the last two haven’t quite been there. So it’s possible he is already in decline.

Overall, he’ll be entering his age 28 season, and he looks like a tick worse than what Hideki Matsui was when he came over at age 29. 

My opinion is that the upside here isnt really all that tremendous because of the defensive profile, but the cost will be low enough and our need great enough for a short term offensive fix, that I’d like to see the White Sox pursue this. 

That said, Akiyama might be a better fit. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’ve been following this guy closely for a few years now. Even saw him play two games live when I was in Japan. 

Pros:

- legitimately good player discipline

- should come cheap because he really wants to play in mlb, And has a good relationship with his team. I’m guessing 3-4 years at $4-6mm

- he has played well in WBC and other exhibition tourneys, suggesting he can handle MLB velo

Cons:

- he’s not a good defender. Not a Palka-like butcher, but it hurts to have mediocre defenders in both corners, and if Abreu is back, there’s no room at DH when Vaughn arrives. 

- he’s been good the past couple years, but he hasn’t been able to repeat his monster 2016-2017 years. Those years made it seem like he was a transcendent hitter, the last two haven’t quite been there. So it’s possible he is already in decline.

Overall, he’ll be entering his age 28 season, and he looks like a tick worse than what Hideki Matsui was when he came over at age 29. 

My opinion is that the upside here isnt really all that tremendous because of the defensive profile, but the cost will be low enough and our need great enough for a short term offensive fix, that I’d like to see the White Sox pursue this. 

Thanks for the writeup. Sounds like he's Palka with plate discipline. What worries me is how the power would translate and how he'd adjust MLB pitching that's evolved quite a bit just the past few years. On top of that, he's contact rate seemed like red flag in 2019.

That said, I agree Akiyama should be a better fit here, I hope the Sox make a serious run at him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Pros:

- legitimately good plate discipline; can do damage on both fastballs and breaking balls

Cons:

Thanks for the insight.

$4-6M AAV I assume?

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks for the insight.

$4-6M AAV I assume?

Correct. And the reason I’m guessing that is because it’s in line with what top NPB players get paid in Japan. Based on the stuff that’s been reported over the last couple years, Tsutsugoh wants to come over for the challenge, not because he’s seeking big money. So I don’t think an MLB team will need to do any better than that.

He might even accept a bit less, though we have to remember that the team has to agree to the price too, and the current system gives them a percentage of the total contract value as a posting fee. 

So, it’s just a guess. I could be off, but I think the price will be low by Mlb free agency standards, because I think the interest will be tepid because of the defensive limitations. 

48 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Correct. And the reason I’m guessing that is because it’s in line with what top NPB players get paid in Japan. Based on the stuff that’s been reported over the last couple years, Tsutsugoh wants to come over for the challenge, not because he’s seeking big money. So I don’t think an MLB team will need to do any better than that.

He might even accept a bit less, though we have to remember that the team has to agree to the price too, and the current system gives them a percentage of the total contract value as a posting fee. 

So, it’s just a guess. I could be off, but I think the price will be low by Mlb free agency standards, because I think the interest will be tepid because of the defensive limitations. 

If you could get him on like a 2 years $8M deal, I'd be for it.  Whats the harm?  If he sucks, you just send him to Charlotte or cut him. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  I wouldn't hate this as another bench/backup options to a guy like Calhoun/Dickerson if that is the route the Sox go.  I'd rather not be one injury away from Palka/Cordell again,