Chicago writer adds Q, R.Hill and Hamels to FA want list

caulfield12

Could get behind the idea of any of the 3

I previously proposed bringing in Q AND Hamels for the right price

Q>Hamels>Hill for me

I expect  Cole, Strasburg, Bumgarner, Keuchel, Ryu will all be out of price range and don't want to overpay any of them nor Wheeler or Odorizzi...The group of Q/Hamels/Miley appeals more to me with Kopech, Gio, Cease in the picture, Rodon coming back, and Lopez still here...Hell, wouldn't shock me to see Nova back for pennies with this FO (hope not)

Ideally want Cole/Strasburg but won't happen

Gio-Q-Hamels-Lopez-Cease looks pretty damn solid with Kopech and Rodon returning too (And Dunning at some point), can compete now AND ease these guys back in/compete long term

• Haha 1

The White Sox have a payroll of 50 million dollars after arbitration. Saying "out of their price range" on people not named Gerrit Cole is dumb, especially when talking about pitchers in their mid 30's.

Also Rich Hill would be a terrible signing.  That writer is being an edgelord.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I love the idea of Hill.. He can never stay healthy so plan for 100 innings.  But he is awesome when he pitches AND we have Kopech and Rodon coming back so we would have the bodies to fill his injuries.  I like that idea as our 2nd starter added.

Since I'm out for a "6th starter" type, someone to cover 100-ish innings and maybe even throw out of the bullpen a few times, yeah I like the idea of Hill also. 

• Like 1

The Sox really don't have an established  #1 starter yet. Certainly Gio was this year but he needs to duplicate it again. Kopech may turn out to be but it might take a few years.  It would be great to get a # 1 or 2 starter even if we pass on Cole. Then add  a 4 or 5 with the other add.  So I also hope for one of the 2-7 and then a second arm. 

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

The Sox really don't have an established  #1 starter yet. Certainly Gio was this year but he needs to duplicate it again. Kopech may turn out to be but it might take a few years.  It would be great to get a # 1 or 2 starter even if we pass on Cole. Then add  a 4 or 5 with the other add.  So I also hope for one of the 2-7 and then a second arm. 

Aside from Cole and Stras do you consider any of the other guys "#1 or #2 starters"? Keuchel, Wheeler, Odo, Bum, all are good solid rotation pieces, but all would need to take a step upwards to be a #1/#2 by that standard. 

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The White Sox have a payroll of 50 million dollars after arbitration. Saying "out of their price range" on people not named Gerrit Cole is dumb, especially when talking about pitchers in their mid 30's.

Also Rich Hill would be a terrible signing.  That writer is being an edgelord.

You think JR wants to go nuts in the bank book? Hell no, this organization is what it is...Cole ain't coming here, and nor is Strasburg...Hopefully we just don't overpay mediocre talent like Wheeler

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Since I'm out for a "6th starter" type, someone to cover 100-ish innings and maybe even throw out of the bullpen a few times, yeah I like the idea of Hill also. 

That's pretty ideal for Hill. If they wanted to start Kopech in the minors to open the year and they sign a front of the rotation arm and then Hill, you just bump Hill to the pen to eat innings and spot start.

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Aside from Cole and Stras do you consider any of the other guys "#1 or #2 starters"? Keuchel, Wheeler, Odo, Bum, all are good solid rotation pieces, but all would need to take a step upwards to be a #1/#2 by that standard. 

Even if some of those guys are more "#3" types now, the rotation still kinda needs that.

I’m fine with not signing the big dogs but we can’t have 2-3 gas cans back there again. The young guys deserve to have a chance to compete and figure out how to win close games and whatnot.  

No Covey, no Bañuelos, no Detwiler, no Santiago...and no cheap FA versions of those guys.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They can.  But they won't. 

Given the Cubs' salary constraints, regardless of what they want to do next season - either staying under the tax level or cutting payroll or trying to expand payroll and get back into the playoffs - he shouldn't cost so much in a trade for acquiring him to be prohibitively expensive. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Given the Cubs' salary constraints, regardless of what they want to do next season - either staying under the tax level or cutting payroll or trying to expand payroll and get back into the playoffs - he shouldn't cost so much in a trade for acquiring him to be prohibitively expensive. 

Yah, I mean the Cubs may very well trade him.  But they aren't going to buy him out of his contract for a net cost of $10M.  

I had been Hill train for a while. If we could get him on an incentive heavy deal I’d be all over it. We don’t need someone to pitch 200 innings as the 2nd FA SP, just need someone to start for a few months until the like of Kopech, Dunning and Rodon are ready. Also with the 26th guy added next year, who most likely would be an RP, they could tandem with Hill on days he only go for 4 or 5 innings.

While some may disagree, the point of the exercise is to find bargain where available so we could allocate the spending elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

If the Cubs want to really change things up along with gaining some payroll flexibility, do you trade someone like Rutherford and a bullpen arm for Schwarber, Heyward and Q? Then go spend some money on Strasburg? I don't hate that lineup. 

2B Madigral (R) 

3B Moncada (S)

LF Eloy (R)

1B Abreu (R)

DH Schwarber (L)

CF Robert (R)

SS Anderson (R)

RF Heyward (L)

C McCann (R)

SP - Strasburg

SP - Gio

SP - Kopech

SP - Cease

SP - Q

Unless the Cub are paydown Heyward's deal to around $10M per, no chance in hell am I doing that deal.  FWIW, that would mean that Cubs would be sending $45M with.  

We don't need to be taking on the Cubs trash.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Unless the Cub are paydown Heyward's deal to around $10M per, no chance in hell am I doing that deal.  FWIW, that would mean that Cubs would be sending $45M with.  

We don't need to be taking on the Cubs trash.  

There are two kinds of Sox fans:  Those who see acquiring Schwarber, Heyward, and Quintana as only helping the Cubs, and those who see acquiring those players as the Sox taking advantage of an overextended club.  Heyward's deal is bad and the Cubs would have to throw in some money, but none of those players are trash and they would all be good fits for the Sox.

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

There are two kinds of Sox fans:  Those who see acquiring Schwarber, Heyward, and Quintana as only helping the Cubs, and those who see acquiring those players as the Sox taking advantage of an overextended club.  Heyward's deal is bad and the Cubs would have to throw in some money, but none of those players are trash and they would all be good fits for the Sox.

I don't think I would really be categorized as either of those "kinds of Sox fans".  I didn't grow up in Chicago, so I don't have the hate for the Cubs most Sox fans have.  But I also don't follow the Cubs as much as some Sox fans may, which leads to alot of posters (and likely Sox fans in general) suggesting acquiring Cubs players like.....multiple times per day on here.  

Q would be a great fit.  I believe you and I have already discussed him in another thread so I won't rehash that, but he isn't going to be a FA.

Schwarber would be fine DH addition, but he only has 2 years of control, meh on base numbers and has struggles to hit his weight.  If he were a FA he'd a decent DH option.

Heyward would be a fine as cheap 1 year stop gap in RF, but he has 4 years and $86M left on his deal! There is absolutely no reason why the Sox should blow a bunch of the flexibility they've worked so hard to get to acquire an average player getting paid like a star.  

• Love 1