Chicago writer adds Q, R.Hill and Hamels to FA want list

caulfield12

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think I would really be categorized as either of those "kinds of Sox fans".  I didn't grow up in Chicago, so I don't have the hate for the Cubs most Sox fans have.  But I also don't follow the Cubs as much as some Sox fans may, which leads to alot of posters (and likely Sox fans in general) suggesting acquiring Cubs players like.....multiple times per day on here.  

Q would be a great fit.  I believe you and I have already discussed him in another thread so I won't rehash that, but he isn't going to be a FA.

Schwarber would be fine DH addition, but he only has 2 years of control, meh on base numbers and has struggles to hit his weight.  If he were a FA he'd a decent DH option.

Heyward would be a fine as cheap 1 year stop gap in RF, but he has 4 years and $86M left on his deal! There is absolutely no reason why the Sox should blow a bunch of the flexibility they've worked so hard to get to acquire an average player getting paid like a star.  

Amen.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think I would really be categorized as either of those "kinds of Sox fans".  I didn't grow up in Chicago, so I don't have the hate for the Cubs most Sox fans have.  But I also don't follow the Cubs as much as some Sox fans may, which leads to alot of posters (and likely Sox fans in general) suggesting acquiring Cubs players like.....multiple times per day on here.  

Q would be a great fit.  I believe you and I have already discussed him in another thread so I won't rehash that, but he isn't going to be a FA.

Schwarber would be fine DH addition, but he only has 2 years of control, meh on base numbers and has struggles to hit his weight.  If he were a FA he'd a decent DH option.

Heyward would be a fine as cheap 1 year stop gap in RF, but he has 4 years and $86M left on his deal! There is absolutely no reason why the Sox should blow a bunch of the flexibility they've worked so hard to get to acquire an average player getting paid like a star.  

I'd consider it if they threw in $44M to offset Heyward's contract. That gets it down to 4/42 which is actually reasonable for Heyward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Aside from Cole and Stras do you consider any of the other guys "#1 or #2 starters"? Keuchel, Wheeler, Odo, Bum, all are good solid rotation pieces, but all would need to take a step upwards to be a #1/#2 by that standard. 

Wheeler was like 14th in fWAR this year amongst pitchers this year and has the talent to back it up.

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It was just a top 10 of potential MLB starting pitcher free agents. He included Strasburg with an asterisk next to his name as well.

The difference is Strasburg can opt-out of his contract which is high probability, whereas the Cubs would have to pass on their team option which will never happen.  Just seems like a waste of space in article like this IMO.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The difference is Strasburg can opt-out of his contract which is high probability, whereas the Cubs would have to pass on their team option which will never happen.  Just seems like a waste of space in article like this IMO.

He's also a NL pitcher. It's a much different league throwing to 9 guys.  I'm superstitious in NL guys don't work out well for the Sox and there's the injury buy in this organization and he'd be the last one I'd think about.

I think the Sox go budget on the starting pitching.  I don't see them going big on a starter since they need more than one.  No Q either but I bet he's on the top 5 this organization would get if he's a free agent. 

Our one niche today seems to be Cuban/Latin American talent, along with having Renteria as a manager that players are (too) comfortable with...Quintana was always a very appreciative/"grateful for the opportunity and being rescued from minor league abyss" and respectful member of the White Sox in his comments, so you'd have to think he would be one of the first ones who have left the organization to be welcomed back with open arms.

Not so sure about Avisail.  Too many frustrations/injuries there.

14 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

There are two kinds of Sox fans:  Those who see acquiring Schwarber, Heyward, and Quintana as only helping the Cubs, and those who see acquiring those players as the Sox taking advantage of an overextended club.  Heyward's deal is bad and the Cubs would have to throw in some money, but none of those players are trash and they would all be good fits for the Sox.

There's a third kind of Sox fan. One that wants a better hitter in RF than Jason Heyward is.  That proposed deal nukes the Sox's financial flexibility, while not adding premium talent.

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Aside from Cole and Stras do you consider any of the other guys "#1 or #2 starters"? Keuchel, Wheeler, Odo, Bum, all are good solid rotation pieces, but all would need to take a step upwards to be a #1/#2 by that standard. 

I think any of that 4 could be a 2. But as we saw w Gio, they also could be an ace as well.  Both Keuchel and Bumgarner have some really good years on their resume although is was 3-4 years ago. 

I know he's had some injury plagued seasons, he's an NL pitcher, and he's 32, but I feel like we should hear Ryu's name much more than we do....especially with Kopech more than likely ready whenever. 

I still think it's crazy to think the Sox won't pony up for Cole, but I'll gladly take Wheeler and Ryu.

Giolito-Ryu-Wheeler-Cease-Lopez 

51 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I know he's had some injury plagued seasons, he's an NL pitcher, and he's 32, but I feel like we should hear Ryu's name much more than we do....especially with Kopech more than likely ready whenever. 

I still think it's crazy to think the Sox won't pony up for Cole, but I'll gladly take Wheeler and Ryu.

Giolito-Ryu-Wheeler-Cease-Lopez 

I too would love Ryu.  He won't give you 200 innings, but he is super good when he is out there.  I think the expectation is that he is going to stay in LA, or at the very least the west coast.  But he would be a fantastic get, and at his age, and little shorter commitment.  Something like 3/60 could probably get it done, maybe even a tad less.  

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I too would love Ryu.  He won't give you 200 innings, but he is super good when he is out there.  I think the expectation is that he is going to stay in LA, or at the very least the west coast.  But he would be a fantastic get, and at his age, and little shorter commitment.  Something like 3/60 could probably get it done, maybe even a tad less.  

His injury history might scare some teams away, but it shouldn't scare us as much. With Kopech and Rodon waiting in the wings, we have a solution should he miss time.

What about Porcello on the cheap? It seemed like he rode his 4 seamer too hard this year and sox may let him go back to a sinker heavy pitcher. Seems like that pitch was a little unlucky this year but still largely looks the same.

Anyone who thinks that the Sox will sign a "#1" starting pitcher this off-season are delusional.

The White Sox are NOT signing Gerrit Cole. The White Sox are NOT signing Steven Strasburg. Let's all collectively get this straight now so we can avoid the certain disappointment that will come with those expectations.

The Sox will get some reclamation project or a low-cost one-year 34 year old who "eats innings"

dumpster-rick.jpg

Since the Sox have only a handful of data / analytics guys, I thought I would help Rick Hahn and the Front Office team as they prepare for the upcoming free agency period of the offseason....

FIND * FROM mlb.players WHERE type == pitcher && status == freeagent && age > 34 && career.ERA > 4.50 && agent !== scott.boras

10 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Since the Sox have only a handful of data / analytics guys, I thought I would help Rick Hahn and the Front Office team as they prepare for the upcoming free agency period of the offseason....

FIND * FROM mlb.players WHERE type == pitcher && status == freeagent && age > 34 && career.ERA > 4.50 && agent !== scott.boras

This one was good!

5 hours ago, longshot7 said:

Dodgers are not gonna let Ryu go, esp after a Cy Young year. We can cross him off the list.

I doubt he'd even really want to leave LA in the first place. If anything, I think he tests the FA waters to see what his market is and goes back to the Dodgers so they can work something out.