Steve Stone not returning to the booth next season???

20 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree with you even though I think that many are not assholes. And nasty things are said on this board. My point is that Stone doesn't really say who he is speaking to, and you can alienate many well-meaning fans. I also don't think calling out fans when you have seven losing seasons in a row is getting you anywhere, and it hasn't gotten the White Sox anywhere during the past 40 years. 

Also the White Sox have a major league arrogance about them. That doesn't get them anywhere, either.

It goes without saying that having a civilized dialogue would help. I wrote Stone some time ago. There was no profanity or name-calling. I even wrote that it was from one gentleman to another. I didn't like what he did, but there was no need to get personal. I just didn't agree with him.  I'd say the same things to his face, and I would do it in a respectful way. But there are times when I think the Sox believe something is owed to them, and I don't buy that.

Bottom line is that things need to change, and I don't think winning will solve everything. But  I agree with you on another thing: Twitter is just plain horrible.  But your first sentence is awfully sarcastic.

I think steve stone would enjoy having a respectful and intelligible conversation about the things you address. I don't think Steve Stone likes hearing people talk about that "cheap Jew Jerry" - which has littered the twittersphere for quite some time.

In a vacuum, all thoughts would be read by people on social media but in reality those who shout the loudest and say the most outlandish things online are frequently the ones who draw the most attention... they also tend to be the most relentless. 

Positivity doesn't really present itself front and center in the world of anonymous keyboard warriors.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think steve stone would enjoy having a respectful and intelligible conversation about the things you address. I don't think Steve Stone likes hearing people talk about that "cheap Jew Jerry" - which has littered the twittersphere for quite some time.

In a vacuum, all thoughts would be read by people on social media but in reality those who shout the loudest and say the most outlandish things online are frequently the ones who draw the most attention... they also tend to be the most relentless. 

Positivity doesn't really present itself front and center in the world of anonymous keyboard warriors.

What would you expect on Twitter. If he doesn’t like it, he cancels his account. As long as he keeps up what he has been doing lately, the only conclusion one could make is he is looking for it.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

What would you expect on Twitter. If he doesn’t like it, he cancels his account. As long as he keeps up what he has been doing lately, the only conclusion one could make is he is looking for it.

Yes, because if people don't share your opinion they deserve hatred and anger.

Stoney tweeted this today ... 

2019 was a repeat of the Steroid Era and slugball. The ball is too lively. Hr’s and strikeouts and walks in abundance isn’t good for the game. Baseball will dial the ball back. Manufacturing runs will once again be part of our game. Stolen bases and hit and runs will be back

==  I'm not so sure Stoney is right.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Stoney tweeted this today ... 

2019 was a repeat of the Steroid Era and slugball. The ball is too lively. Hr’s and strikeouts and walks in abundance isn’t good for the game. Baseball will dial the ball back. Manufacturing runs will once again be part of our game. Stolen bases and hit and runs will be back

==  I'm not so sure Stoney is right.

I am not so sure either, and dialing back the ball may be a huge mistake. Except for home runs, hitting is harder than ever. You rarely face the same pitcher more than twice in a game. Seeing 95 MPH fastballs with movement is common. Dylan Covey throws 95 MPH sinkers and he is meat. If a lot of the home runs become fly outs, MLB will have another problem on their hands.

18 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

'But I also understand the reality of the way that JR runs the team and that the Sox are not going to spend their way into perennial contention in the way that the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox do. There are going to be down years and I'm OK with that... provided that they do what they need to do to get back into contention.

I readily accept that the Sox won't spend Yankee/Dodger money.
What I find find so frustrating is that they refuse to put themselves in the best position possible, or even in a reasonable position, given those constraints.  

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

After reading your post, I wanted to relate this story. I have had a booth at SoxFest several times during the years. One year Eddie Einhorn's wife and son were next to me. His son had done a documentary on the 1983 division winners. Since we were going to be next to each other for the weekend, I went over and introduced myself to Mrs. Einhorn. She seemed a little shocked. Someone was being nice to her? I didn't like some of the things Eddie had done, but I saw no reason to be rude to his family. Or to him, for that matter. I heard from one former Chicago sportswriter that Eddie was an engaging person. Anyway, we need to remember we are all people. And fans must remember it is tough to be a public person. Jerry Reinsdorf has become reclusive and that is one reason he uses Steve Stone as a spokesman, although I don't think Stone is all that effective as a spokesman.

As I have said before, it is time to tone down the anger. It is not good for the fans, and it is not good for the future of the franchise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I readily accept that the Sox won't spend Yankee/Dodger money.
What I find find so frustrating is that they refuse to put themselves in the best position possible, or even in a reasonable position, given those constraints.  

They certainly don’t hire the right scouting and player development personnel to compete with those constraints.

9 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Please, no. I don't care if White Sox fans love him he is a bad announcer.  They don't need to pick someone White Sox fans know for color announcer. No one knew who Jason was before he joined the booth. 

I'm with you on AJ. I don't want him in the booth. He was a real competitor, but he isn't the most likable person in the world. And it would be a nice change to have someone who has had no connection with the White Sox. Enough of that already. But I expect Stone to be back next year.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:16 AM, Dick Allen said:

I am not so sure either, and dialing back the ball may be a huge mistake. Except for home runs, hitting is harder than ever. You rarely face the same pitcher more than twice in a game. Seeing 95 MPH fastballs with movement is common. Dylan Covey throws 95 MPH sinkers and he is meat. If a lot of the home runs become fly outs, MLB will have another problem on their hands.

We could be waiting for the other shoe to drop on the matter of teams prescribing opioids to their players. It could be fairly common. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stone was on 670 today. He still hasn't signed a contract with the team. It sounds like something will get done at some point. Reiterated that his contract with the Sox is very low on the totem pole in terms of upcoming signings. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Stone was on 670 today. He still hasn't signed a contract with the team. It sounds like something will get done at some point. Reiterated that his contract with the Sox is very low on the totem pole in terms of upcoming signings. 

It's either Sox radio or cactus shuffleboard. Wife doesn't want him sitting around the house. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

DJ and Benetti

For TV, no way...they would be a much better radio pairing, unless DJ was really going to wake up out of his stupor and push the (potential t.v.) broadcast towards serious analysis and away from the "insider-ish jokers" gag they've got going on radio, where almost nobody but the Over 50 crowd is listening.

I just worry that Benetti on t.v. with his joke routines paired with DJ "zaniness" would be a bit too much. 

Would that draw in a new generation of White Sox fans?  Hmmmm....

For another boring/uneventful season, it would be fine...but not really important games.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Stone  might  consider returning to the Cubs where he loved  playing and announcing for many years.  That would be a great move by Ricketts. It would leave the Sox with having to hunt for a replacement for Stone  (which they eventually will have to do anyway).  AJ would never do it and I doubt any former major league player would.  Benetti started out rather humble and in short order he became too full of himself.   The only guy who might consider tolerating Bennetti for a full season would be Chuck Garfein.... LOL.

5 hours ago, tray said:

Stone  might  consider returning to the Cubs where he loved  playing and announcing for many years.  That would be a great move by Ricketts. It would leave the Sox with having to hunt for a replacement for Stone  (which they eventually will have to do anyway).  AJ would never do it and I doubt any former major league player would.  Benetti started out rather humble and in short order he became too full of himself.   The only guy who might consider tolerating Bennetti for a full season would be Chuck Garfein.... LOL.

How did Benetti become full of himself? 

5 hours ago, tray said:

That might put the broadcast last...we were ahead of only the Marlins and one other team this season WITH Stone.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/7/22/20703896/mlb-tv-ratings-2019-white-sox

While baseball as a whole struggles to maintain its audience on television in 2019, the White Sox have been one of the sport’s success stories in that area. The South Siders have seen a 41% increase in their average ratings on NBC Sports Network this year, per Sports Business Journal, which is tied for the second-highest improvement of any MLB club.

The White Sox’ ratings, usually among the league’s worst, are up to an average of 1.18 on NBCSN this year. However, that’s still 27th among U.S.-based MLB franchises and ahead of only the Marlins and Athletics, which shows how far the Sox have to go to in a city with a more popular club. (My edit:  Toronto for some reason isn’t listed, but would surely be higher in local ratings.)

MLB’s local TV ratings in general are down 4% in the first half of the season with big drops in San Francisco, New York and Boston hitting especially hard. 

The Cubs, despite their audience being down 5% from a year ago, have averaged a 3.91 rating on NBCSN, which is more than triple what their crosstown rival averages. They’re expected to shift that viewership over to Marquee, their new network in partnership with Sinclair Broadcasting, in 2020.