Steve Stone not returning to the booth next season???

6 hours ago, tray said:

Stone  might  consider returning to the Cubs where he loved  playing and announcing for many years.  That would be a great move by Ricketts. It would leave the Sox with having to hunt for a replacement for Stone  (which they eventually will have to do anyway).  AJ would never do it and I doubt any former major league player would.  Benetti started out rather humble and in short order he became too full of himself.   The only guy who might consider tolerating Bennetti for a full season would be Chuck Garfein.... LOL.

I'd be all in on Wimpy.

8 minutes ago, Pasqua's Mailman said:

Stone will be back.  The only sticking point is the number of years on his next deal.  Stone wants a 3 year deal which ends when he will be 75.  There is still an interest on his end in being part of an ownership group - either for an expansion team or an existing team.  This will get done, its a matter of when not if.

I agree. Since he has no contract there is always a slight chance, but he is not married, he has no kids or grandchildren, he likes Benetton and the White Sox, and if he had no job, he would watch baseball anyway. 

11 hours ago, Pasqua's Mailman said:

Stone will be back.  The only sticking point is the number of years on his next deal.  Stone wants a 3 year deal which ends when he will be 75.  There is still an interest on his end in being part of an ownership group - either for an expansion team or an existing team.  This will get done, its a matter of when not if.

I love Stoney. If they don't give him a 3 year deal (if he wants that) that means they'll be trying to save money by hiring some other color announcer. Why else wouldn't you just give him a 3-year deal? He's a great announcer and shows no signs of age. If for some reason he started to show his age, geez, I think he'd be fine with quitting. I'd give him a three year deal then after that say, stoney, you are 75. One year deals from now on. Nobody lives forever.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love Stoney. If they don't give him a 3 year deal (if he wants that) that means they'll be trying to save money by hiring some other color announcer. Why else wouldn't you just give him a 3-year deal? He's a great announcer and shows no signs of age. If for some reason he started to show his age, geez, I think he'd be fine with quitting. I'd give him a three year deal then after that say, stoney, you are 75. One year deals from now on. Nobody lives forever.

Stone is the one that wants a three year deal while the Sox are looking for a longer term deal.  This isn't about money at all... its about contract length and a few lesser issues.   No one is being cheap here.  Stone is looking for some flexibility in order to potentially take advantage of any ownership opportunities that may (or may not) arise over the next five years.  He wants one more crack at baseball management and he's not getting any younger.  This will get done eventually. 

26 minutes ago, Pasqua's Mailman said:

Stone is the one that wants a three year deal while the Sox are looking for a longer term deal.  This isn't about money at all... its about contract length and a few lesser issues.   No one is being cheap here.  Stone is looking for some flexibility in order to potentially take advantage of any ownership opportunities that may (or may not) arise over the next five years.  He wants one more crack at baseball management and he's not getting any younger.  This will get done eventually. 

wut?  ownership?  management?  he's in his 70s and his zero experience.  if he wants to get into managing he should have started long ago.  but hi Steve.

2 hours ago, Pasqua's Mailman said:

Good on them.  

Stoney is a legend in Chicago broadcasting at this point, and still delivers top-notch analysis.  

And not to mention, but he did what once I thought was the unthinkable, which is to help turn Benetti into a solid baseball play-by-play announcer.  A year ago I wouldn’t have made that statement, but I saw remarkable improvement this year over the previous two.  

So don’t fix what’s not broken and see to extend the partnership as long as possible.   

2 hours ago, Pasqua's Mailman said:

Are we talking a front office position or on-field manager?

On 10/24/2019 at 5:56 AM, caulfield12 said:

That might put the broadcast last...we were ahead of only the Marlins and one other team this season WITH Stone.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/7/22/20703896/mlb-tv-ratings-2019-white-sox

While baseball as a whole struggles to maintain its audience on television in 2019, the White Sox have been one of the sport’s success stories in that area. The South Siders have seen a 41% increase in their average ratings on NBC Sports Network this year, per Sports Business Journal, which is tied for the second-highest improvement of any MLB club.

The White Sox’ ratings, usually among the league’s worst, are up to an average of 1.18 on NBCSN this year. However, that’s still 27th among U.S.-based MLB franchises and ahead of only the Marlins and Athletics, which shows how far the Sox have to go to in a city with a more popular club. (My edit:  Toronto for some reason isn’t listed, but would surely be higher in local ratings.)

MLB’s local TV ratings in general are down 4% in the first half of the season with big drops in San Francisco, New York and Boston hitting especially hard. 

The Cubs, despite their audience being down 5% from a year ago, have averaged a 3.91 rating on NBCSN, which is more than triple what their crosstown rival averages. They’re expected to shift that viewership over to Marquee, their new network in partnership with Sinclair Broadcasting, in 2020.

People weren't tuning in to watch the Sox because they've sucked for 10+ years a d grew tired of it. That has nothing to do with the broadcast crew, who are regarded as one of the better duos out there Link.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:06 PM, Pasqua's Mailman said:

It's funny how age works. Some 75 year olds are truly ancient and others look like they are 50 like Stone. Hawk is 78. But whereas some 75 year olds have been retired for 10 years or more, others are going to enter management at this stage of their lives? Wow. And what about president. Bernie is 78; Trump 73; Biden 76, Warren 70 and they are embarking on the most exciting time of their lives if they win. Meanwhile, again some 70 year olds are creaky and wobbly. I guess living a good life gives you prolonged spirit/health?

• 4 weeks later...