Sign in to follow this  
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Steve Stone not returning to the booth next season???

Wow I really hope he is coming back. Not sure why he wouldn't unless it's a health issue. Unless he is talking about further in the future. 

Edited by ron883

That definitely is talking about next year.  Maybe he is just saying that because a deal for next year hasn't been formally signed.  Only thing I can think of.

I'm assuming broadcasters either aren't contractual or Stones "contract" expired when the season ended.  

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Breaking news:  Steve Stone just joined the White Sox PR team as a lifetime "ambassador"

What exciting news. Now he can spend more time blasting fans.

14 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Maybe I’m just reading this wrong, but doesn’t it sound like his future with the Sox is up in the air based on this tweet?

Why does this club hate its fans so much?  STFU STONE.  YOU'RE ON THE FUCKING PAYROLL FUCK OFF WITH YOUR OPINIONS THEY ARE HEAVILY BIASED.

Here in the real world we are all fucking waiting for the Sox to be relevant.  Going on 15 years now.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why does this club hate its fans so much?  STFU STONE.  YOU'RE ON THE FUCKING PAYROLL FUCK OFF WITH YOUR OPINIONS THEY ARE HEAVILY BIASED.

Here in the real world we are all fucking waiting for the Sox to be relevant.  Going on 15 years now.

Talk about an overreaction...as you said, hes on the payroll. Hes not going to tweet badly about his boss. Who cares?

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Talk about an overreaction...as you said, hes on the payroll. Hes not going to tweet badly about his boss. Who cares?

He should STFU and say nothing.  There is nothing to be gained arguing with your fanbase online.  There is nothing to be gained with the old "you fans don't know what goes on behind the scenes" adage.  Nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He should STFU and say nothing.  There is nothing to be gained arguing with your fanbase online.  There is nothing to be gained with the old "you fans don't know what goes on behind the scenes" adage.  Nothing.

I don't understand. Anyone who listens to Stone knows he is extremely knowledgeable of the game, and is just a very wise person in general. What if Reinsdorf really has done so much for so many people that never gets publicized and now one false claim is put out there against him and it blows up, and now this is what everyone thinks of him? What if Stone is just defending the truth? I would commend anyone for doing that. Hell, the people that work for Jerry are the ones that know him the best, which happen to be the Sox employees. Who the hell else is going to speak against these comments?

Hope Stony stays in the booth. I know he's getting older, but I have a lot of respect for him.

• Like 1

I doubt he would leave unless having health issues.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Steve Stone is a private citizen and his attitude makes me believe he's no longer under contract.  He can say whatever he wants.  He's one of the smartest guys in baseball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

The fans he is responding to are mostly idiotic

Then why bother responding? 

Maybe he won’t be back, but it sure seems like he wants to be. He’s gonna have a milk mustache with all the company tit he’s been suckling on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

Sounds like he's kissing Jerry's rear to ensure that he'll be back. I don't understand why he thinks that he might not be.

Nah, this tweet is in the context of Sampsons stupid comments. 

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Wow, so now we're whiners if we want them to sign Gerrit Cole? It does feel like Sox management looks at their fans as the enemy. I know Steve isn't part of management, but he seems to of taken on the role as their mouthpiece.

Stone is smart enough to know that the White Sox are his last stop in his broadcasting career. At his age he wouldn't be hired by anybody else.

17 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

The fans he is responding to are mostly idiotic

Some of them are. But when a public person tends to make blanket statements, it comes across as attacking all fans, and that is a no-win strategy.

I'm a Reinsdorf critic, but I'm sure he has a decent side to him. In fact, I'm sure of it. But that is a separate issue from the performance of the team on the field, and for the most part it hasn't been good since the 2005 World Series. So, it is time for this team to show that it is really committed to making this rebuild work. Reinsdorf doesn't need to spend $300 million. Just spend something and improve the team in 2020. I don't want to hear any more promises or happy talk. Time for the winning to start, at least on some level. 

18 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I don't understand. Anyone who listens to Stone knows he is extremely knowledgeable of the game, and is just a very wise person in general. What if Reinsdorf really has done so much for so many people that never gets publicized and now one false claim is put out there against him and it blows up, and now this is what everyone thinks of him? What if Stone is just defending the truth? I would commend anyone for doing that. Hell, the people that work for Jerry are the ones that know him the best, which happen to be the Sox employees. Who the hell else is going to speak against these comments?

Hope Stony stays in the booth. I know he's getting older, but I have a lot of respect for him.

JR can be a wonderful human being and family man who treats his employees and people in general really well, be an extremely smart businessman  AND also be a really bad baseball owner.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. I think that's what Stone is missing here.

• Like 2

Fans seldom acknowledge the role that luck plays in every aspect of the sport, including with player drafts, trades. personnel decisions and player contracts.   Meanwhile,  Monday morning quarterbacking by fans is such an easy pastime.   At the end of the day baseball is a game  with a lot of luck involved as the Ricketts found out this year. Cubs tanked like 10 games in a row at the end of the year.  Who woulda thunk it?

Edited by tray