Projected white sox arbitration salaries 2020

Whisox05

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Beat writers mostly.

I think the Sox are serious about signing at least one big bat (JDM, Grandal, Ozuna) and one good-to-great SP (Wheeler seems like the best bet), as well as some secondary pieces.  So I would expect closer to $120 mil if the Sox successfully execute what I think their plan is.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

20 million between Yolmer, Colome and Rodon could be much better spent on Cole.  It will never happen but I'd non tender Rodon and Yolmer and try and trade Colome for a C+ guy or as part of  a bigger package.

I would non tender Yolmer and hope to resign him after he gets to see that no one is giving him 6 million.  The Sox don't need to dump anyone because of needing it for Cole.  They can afford anyone they want including Cole and still have money left over.  I'm not advocating wasteful spending...just not listening about what we can't afford.  We are one of the few teams who can truly afford anyone we want.

22 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Wouldn’t insurance cover for most of Rodon‘s salary anyway? If so, non tendering him would be dumb.

He's not under contract for next year so no insurance company is going to put a policy on that to return $2 million if you already know he's hurt. Your insurance cost would be $2 million. 

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Colome has no trade value at his projected salary

Respectfully disagree. Surely some teams need a guy who has been pretty reliable for the last 2 years and 4 of the last 5. That's damn good for a relief pitcher. It's not like !10M is all that much. Usually winning in the playoffs come down to who has the stronger pen. We are probably going to hear about teams that did not strengthen their pens when they lose in the playoffs this year. Remember plenty of guys were available , maybe even Colome, but only the Braves and Nationals really upgraded their pens significantly. This is why I am rooting for them.

At the time of the deadline I remember saying the Dodgers showed no sense of urgency about upgrading their pen and was hoping it would cost them dearly.

I'm not saying Colome alone would get it done but I'm pretty sick of hearing how guys like him have no value. If teams aren't willng to pay the price that it takes to improve their odds of winning it all then I hope those teams lose.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Respectfully disagree. Surely some teams need a guy who has been pretty reliable for the last 2 years and 4 of the last 5. That's damn good for a relief pitcher. It's not like !10M is all that much. Usually winning in the playoffs come down to who has the stronger pen. We are probably going to hear about teams that did not strengthen their pens when they lose in the playoffs this year. Remember plenty of guys were available , maybe even Colome, but only the Braves and Nationals really upgraded their pens significantly. This is why I am rooting for them.

At the time of the deadline I remember saying the Dodgers showed no sense of urgency about upgrading their pen and was hoping it would cost them dearly.

I'm not saying Colome alone would get it done but I'm pretty sick of hearing how guys like him have no value. If teams aren't willng to pay the price that it takes to improve their odds of winning it all then I hope those teams lose.

10 million for a guy with his peripherals isn’t likely to happen.  Everyone wants the big K guys now.

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would non tender Yolmer and hope to resign him after he gets to see that no one is giving him 6 million.  The Sox don't need to dump anyone because of needing it for Cole.  They can afford anyone they want including Cole and still have money left over.  I'm not advocating wasteful spending...just not listening about what we can't afford.  We are one of the few teams who can truly afford anyone we want.

Yes any ONE we want but we don't need any ONE we need 5 guys easy and for 5 good players  that will raise up the payroll in a hurry. There needs to be money saved somewhere and maybe not just Yolmer . But that will all unfold as the off season progresses depending on who the Sox actually do sign .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

First mailbag this week, first question.  And like you said, if it’s 110 million, JR is a disgrace.

Not seeing it in there, but hopefully he’s just speculating.  Honestly, I don’t see why the front office would actually share that information unless they’re planning to negotiate through the media again and I really hope they learned their lesson after last offseason’s failures.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His BABIP against was .215, he got very lucky last year and his K rate is trending in the wrong direction.

I understand but it's typical of Sox fans to undervalue our own.  Like sure use the peripherals to say he's not worth anything but then say he was lucky on his BABIP. Frankly I don't see how his BABIP is considered lucky if he is giving up mostly grounders that get swallowed up by the infield defense especially with Timmy having so many errors. Now if you can say he was lucky because... whatever ... hard hit ball rate , too many fly balls etc. but just don't give me half the story. There are plenty of stats to use out there.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes any ONE we want but we don't need any ONE we need 5 guys easy and for 5 good players  that will raise up the payroll in a hurry. There needs to be money saved somewhere and maybe not just Yolmer . But that will all unfold as the off season progresses depending on who the Sox actually do sign .

My point is that they can afford anyone they want to fill all 5 positions you allude to.  Money should not be the problem.  This is a team that was talked about signing both Harper and Machado.  If these 5 players cost 125 million per year it should be available.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not seeing it in there, but hopefully he’s just speculating.  Honestly, I don’t see why the front office would actually share that information unless they’re planning to negotiate through the media again and I really hope they learned their lesson after last offseason’s failures.

We can't put much stock into what beat writers say. Of course it's speculation. No one is divulging 2020 payroll to a beat writer because the Sox themselves might have a number in mind but that can change if the right opportunities come along to higher or yes even lower if they can't sign anyone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My point is that they can afford anyone they want to fill all 5 positions you allude to.  Money should not be the problem.  This is a team that was talked about signing both Harper and Machado.  If these 5 players cost 125 million per year it should be available.

So you really think the Sox can afford Cole, JDM , Bumgarner, Ryu, Strasburg, Rendon Grandal, Ozuna, Wheeler, Donaldson, Those are the top 10 approximately. Pick any 5 and I guarantee the Sox can't afford all 5.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside