Projected white sox arbitration salaries 2020

Whisox05

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes any ONE we want but we don't need any ONE we need 5 guys easy and for 5 good players  that will raise up the payroll in a hurry. There needs to be money saved somewhere and maybe not just Yolmer . But that will all unfold as the off season progresses depending on who the Sox actually do sign .

In general it's about more than just cutting salary -- it's about finally getting rid of the .5-1.5 WAR players that litter the 25 man every year.  Sorry Yolmer, you had a couple decent years, good clubhouse guy but you can't fucking hit anymore.  If the Sox signal they are ready to upgrade those spots on the roster (and actually do) then we will have a competitive team next year.

I don't think we can assume Madrigal as plug and play 3 WAR starter either.  I'd like to have a legit backup plan there beyond a guy coming off a putrid year with the bat at almost 7 million per, even in today's salary environment.

IMO bringing Yolmer back says bad things about readiness to win and internal evaluations of HOW to win.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

In general it's about more than just cutting salary -- it's about finally getting rid of the .5-1.5 WAR players that litter the 25 man every year.  Sorry Yolmer, you had a couple decent years, good clubhouse guy but you can't fucking hit anymore.  If the Sox signal they are ready to upgrade those spots on the roster (and actually do) then we will have a competitive team next year.

IMO bringing Yolmer back says bad things about readiness to win and internal evaluations of HOW to win.

Yes it is about more than cutting salary but I can only tackle one post at a time and if the Sox are resigning Abreu like everyone seems to think I don't understand all the posts about signing whoever we want because we can afford it or trading for or paying for JDM. Abreu takes care of DH and takes up a decent chunk of salary .Any other money goes to starting pitching mostly and whatever they decide is left over or if payroll is higher than expected then I don't know what happens if the other choices are between maybe Ozuna, Puig, Grandal, Moustakas, Holt, Dickerson, bullpen , Gennett or whoever.

If the Sox make a trade that would be very interesting to say the least.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think we can assume Madrigal as plug and play 3 WAR starter either.  I'd like to have a legit backup plan there beyond a guy coming off a putrid year with the bat at almost 7 million per, even in today's salary environment.

I'd let Yolmer walk and let Leury be the infield utility guy with Engel as the utility OF. (I'm assuming that we sign a RF that can hit at least a little.)

2 minutes ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I'd let Yolmer walk and let Leury be the infield utility guy with Engel as the utility OF. (I'm assuming that we sign a RF that can hit at least a little.)

I'd be fine with that if they upgrade both CF and 2B without utilizing Robert and Madrigal.  I never understood tying Madrigal to 2B I really hoped they'd use him almost like Zobrist when he came up as that would max his value.  Oh well.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd be fine with that if they upgrade both CF and 2B without utilizing Robert and Madrigal.  I never understood tying Madrigal to 2B I really hoped they'd use him almost like Zobrist when he came up as that would max his value.  Oh well.

I don't think that they're going to sign a FA to play CF, with RF, DH, 2 SP slots, and a couple of bullpen slots to fill. My guess is that they run Robert out there and bury him in the lineup to keep the pressure off.

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you really think the Sox can afford Cole, JDM , Bumgarner, Ryu, Strasburg, Rendon Grandal, Ozuna, Wheeler, Donaldson, Those are the top 10 approximately. Pick any 5 and I guarantee the Sox can't afford all 5.

I think they can afford Cole, Grandal, Wheeler, a 15 million  right fielder  and two very good relief pitchers.  That comes to approx. 100 million in my mind. A total payroll of 160 million would be my floor for acceptable team payroll 2020.  That payroll doesn't put us in the top 1/3.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think they can afford Cole, Grandal, Wheeler, a 15 million  right fielder  and two very good relief pitchers.  That comes to approx. 100 million in my mind. A total payroll of 160 million would be my floor for acceptable team payroll 2020.  That payroll doesn't put us in the top 1/3.

Prepare for disappointment.

Just now, poppysox said:

Jerry will not disappoint us again.  We were told the money would be there when the time is right.  My watch says it's time.

I’ve been following this team too long to believe a word that Jerry says. If he spends like 1990s/2000s George Steinbrenner this winter, I’ll happily stand corrected.

1 hour ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I'm fine paying Colome, but Herrera's contract is awful.

Herrera is sunk money.   We have to hope a restful offseason cures whatever ails him.  If he doesn't find his old self he will get the Alonso treatment and be released.

1 minute ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I’ve been following this team too long to believe a word that Jerry says. If he spends like 1990s/2000s George Steinbrenner this winter, I’ll happily stand corrected.

Optimist...Pessimist.  Most of us have a tendency to be one or the other.  The offseason is very long to start off with a loser mentality.🙂

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Optimist...Pessimist.  Most of us have a tendency to be one or the other.  The offseason is very long to start off with a loser mentality.🙂

I’m more of a realist. It’s really difficult to jump from 72 to 95 wins (despite them doing it in 2000), and I don’t really expect them to be competitive next year, even if they increase this season’s payroll by $100M. What I do expect is continued development from their young core, and them having a realistic chance of a division title in 2021. And I’m pretty optimistic about that.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I understand but it's typical of Sox fans to undervalue our own.  Like sure use the peripherals to say he's not worth anything but then say he was lucky on his BABIP. Frankly I don't see how his BABIP is considered lucky if he is giving up mostly grounders that get swallowed up by the infield defense especially with Timmy having so many errors. Now if you can say he was lucky because... whatever ... hard hit ball rate , too many fly balls etc. but just don't give me half the story. There are plenty of stats to use out there.

But it sure seems other teams were wary of his peripherals as well at the deadline 

7 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Assuming Yolmer and Goins are only nontender candidates, we’re at $54M after all the pre-arb and arb costs. With Abreu deal we’re closing in at the $70M mark. We do not have as much payroll flexibility as some may have been hoping for.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

My point is that they can afford anyone they want to fill all 5 positions you allude to.  Money should not be the problem.  This is a team that was talked about signing both Harper and Machado.  If these 5 players cost 125 million per year it should be available.

3 hours ago, poppysox said:

OK so let's assume payroll is $160M and you may be the only one here thinking it can go that high but for arguments sake let's put it at your number.But let's also use the $70M as a starting point.  You tell me the yearly salaries for Cole, Grandal ,Wheeler ,a $15M RF,and 2 very good relief pitchers and make that fit $160M .

Now if I use the numbers from your posts you think anywhere from $100-125M is available . If we start at $70M and add $100-125M that puts payroll at between $170-$195M not $160 .Now what about extending some of our core ? Adding at the deadline?

I understand being an optimist but when I combine all your posts with where payroll is starting from it just doesn't work.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Both Leury and Yolmer should both be released no matter if the arb price is bare bones low.

Leury 139 K's to 21 BB

Yolmer 117 K's to 44 BB

We can find good bench players that put up good at bats and get on base probably within our farm system for league minimum salary.

I do like both of these players though so if they do leave I wish them well. I love Sanchez personality, and I love Leury makes the sign of the Cross.

Edited by Chisox378

19 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

20 million between Yolmer, Colome and Rodon could be much better spent on Cole.  It will never happen but I'd non tender Rodon and Yolmer and try and trade Colome for a C+ guy or as part of  a bigger package.

Say what? Who in their right mind would non-tender Carlos Rodon?