Kyle Schwarber?

SoxSteve

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Schwarber can play a very capable 1B.  He would be a very good fiton the Sox.  

He may but based on what? The Cubs don't use him there. Also what would you be willing to give the Cubs in return? I assume they will require a quality MLB player  back.  I don't think we have a suitable player we could give them.  If we sign Grandal, maybe McCann.  Cease?. Eloy had comparable numbers but I think he has a much higher ceiling and is 4 years younger. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal, Avi/Dickerson, Moustakas, flier on Gennett....paired with Wheeler, a RH bullpen arm and older (30+) but decent veteran starter on a 2-3 year or 2+option seems to make a lot of sense and doesn’t come close to $150-160 million payroll mark.

You have lots of options there for DH, two guys for the RF spot who won’t break the budget...upside/flip/recovery candidates in Dickerson and Gennett, left handedness for Lillian, lots of quality veteran leadership.

I've heard this plan somewhere before ;) at least with the position players but the plan on the position players was to make sure the Sox have the money for the starting pitching. Not sure with Grandal that would be the case, Once Abreu is signed Sox and all the arbitration raises come in, the Sox are looking at a starting payroll point of around $70M. If we pick $130M as a fair payroll the Sox will spend somewhere in the $60M range.

I picked $130M but it could be higher or lower but anything above $150M seems like a reach.

20 hours ago, SCCWS said:

He may but based on what? The Cubs don't use him there. Also what would you be willing to give the Cubs in return? I assume they will require a quality MLB player  back.  I don't think we have a suitable player we could give them.  If we sign Grandal, maybe McCann.  Cease?. Eloy had comparable numbers but I think he has a much higher ceiling and is 4 years younger. 

He came up as a catcher.  He doesn't have the hands or feet to catch at the big league level but he certainly has them to play 1B and the reason he doesn't play there for the Cubs is Anthony Rizzo.  I'd offer Lopez and Bummer.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He came up as a catcher.  He doesn't have the hands or feet to catch at the big league level but he certainly has them to play 1B and the reason he doesn't play there for the Cubs is Anthony Rizzo.  I'd offer Lopez and Bummer.  

For two expensive years of Schwarber, yikes...there are plenty of similar bats you can just buy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've heard this plan somewhere before ;) at least with the position players but the plan on the position players was to make sure the Sox have the money for the starting pitching. Not sure with Grandal that would be the case, Once Abreu is signed Sox and all the arbitration raises come in, the Sox are looking at a starting payroll point of around $70M. If we pick $130M as a fair payroll the Sox will spend somewhere in the $60M range.

I picked $130M but it could be higher or lower but anything above $150M seems like a reach.

150 million would have placed us 13th last year.  Not much of a "reach" for my taste.  Astros and Huston were at 168.  That seems about right to me if looking for JR's ceiling. I'm not trying to waste money but no way am I accepting 130 million as making the effort to compete.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Schwarber may be the most overrated player in all of baseball.  I’m shocked at how many Sox fans are infatuated with him for whatever reason.

The Sox fans who are infatuated with Schwarber are the same ones who are begging to take on Heyward's contract. It makes no sense.

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Oh it's just a childish Cubs/White Sox thing.  I should have known.  

Childish Cubs/White Sox thing?  I just think it would completely idiotic to trade anything of value (let alone Bummer & Lopez) for two years of Kyle Schwarber when someone like Corey Dickerson or Mike Moustakas can be had for just cash.  He simply isn’t that good.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

How do you assume he can play first base if he's never played there?

All I can say is I'm glad you're not the GM of the White Sox.

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Oh it's just a childish Cubs/White Sox thing.  I should have known.  

The Sox dont need another low average high power bat coming over from the NL. They dont exactly have the world's greatest track record there.

Schwarber has improved nothing since his first big league season. Why do I want to acquire a guy who has made no advancement in 1884 big league plate appearances? 

Better yet, why would I trade assets for that when I can acquire players with similar skill set for free? Also, who cares that he's 27 when he only has 2 years of control?

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox dont need another low average high power bat coming over from the NL. They dont exactly have the world's greatest track record there.

Schwarber has improved nothing since his first big league season. Why do I want to acquire a guy who has made no advancement in 1884 big league plate appearances? 

Better yet, why would I trade assets for that when I can acquire players with similar skill set for free? Also, who cares that he's 27 when he only has 2 years of control?

Well put, just doesn’t make any sense.

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

No one is “begging” for it, stop being a clown.

You and several others have suggested taking on part of Heyward's contract in order to get Schwarber. It doesn't make any sense to use the payroll flexibility the Sox have created on two mediocre players. They would be upgrades over who the Sox have at those spots now, but it still isn't a deal worth making.